Best bike lights

D

Deleted member 7464

Have any of you guys tried the moon aw20 Canopus headlight? It looks pretty decent in the specs but I can't find any reviews on it. ??

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Can anyone recommend any Darks ? I like the idea of riding at night, but rather than trying to simulate day light at night, I'd rather simulate darkness during the day. It makes things a lot easier if you run into problems - you can just switch the Darks off and off you go.

Please, don't tell you got a tip from me
1605356970581.png

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
It's not all about the light output, it's great lighting up the path for a mile ahead of you but if it's out of power an hour into a 2 hour ride you could be in trouble.
I can't see any runtimes listed on the Halfords website which is basic required info.
It's another advantage of adding a hard wired light even if it's only lowish output.
After a few long night rides I invested in a hardwired light as well as 2 others that also have batteries to increase their work time way beyond what I'd expect to be riding, but if we had a problem on the trail we wouldn't have to worry about getting home in the dark.
2 hours in high setting and more in lower settings. You can also run the light off the power pack so plenty runtime for me.
It also shows how much run time is left and automatically goes into a lower setting when it gets low battery.
F902E6B5-297D-4438-A6E6-6A7DE2F362BB.jpeg

25E46267-9C54-4411-802D-95B72A0C5413.jpeg

Last edited:

Tuckya'in

Mar 20, 2019
Washington State
Hi and thanks for adding me.
whats the best bike lights out there at the minute. There’s a lot to choose from and I don’t want to buy twice.
Thanks in advance ??
I've been night riding for decades, almost prefer it sometimes. I have used a lot of lights and cheap lights underperform. Primarily the batteries. Also I feel quality over lumens is important. I have been using Outbound Lighting Downhill Package and am very impressed. The "adaptive mode" is really great. They focus on lens engineering rather than lumens so the range is substantial. Made in Chicago by some seemingly good people as well.
OUTBOUND

scjgreen

Aug 5, 2020
Exeter
Exposure MaxxD Mk12 on mine.

3500 Lumens (Genuine Lumens not Chinese ones)
3 Hour Battery on Full Burn
12 Hour at a Perfectly usable Light Level

UK Manufactured
UK Customer Service

Dropped mine recently and they repaired it for Free, 4 Days Door to Door.

Not Cheap but you definitely get what you pay for.

Will be picking up a Diablo for my Helmet in due course.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Can anyone recommend any Darks ? I like the idea of riding at night, but rather than trying to simulate day light at night, I'd rather simulate darkness during the day. It makes things a lot easier if you run into problems - you can just switch the Darks off and off you go.
I have two of these. They work very well during the day to simulate darkness. The nice thing is that you can use them almost anywhere and for any task…very effective when listening too. They’re called iLids(not sure who makes them, no user manual either) and they are quite reliable. Takes a little getting use too but man, does it get dark fast. I highly recommend them.

Akemtb

Mar 1, 2019
Anchorage Alaska

I have 2 of these on the bar, they are cheep and put out a lot of light. Put a solid winter on them and still going strong. At 28 bucks if one craps out I'll just get another. They are good for a 2 to 3 hour ride if you don't run on high, but with 2 you have an advantage. Have never run one completely out of juice. I ride pitch dark trails here in Alaska so having a head lamp is also critical especially if you have to stop and do something, 600 to 800 lums is sufficient and you can buy a 3 pack on Amazon for cheep.

Last edited:

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
@SK66NAN
I have two of the CECO F1000 led lights, they work great, 4 light modes, USB connect for recharging, no external battery:)
Have one on my handle bar & another on my helmet, you can buy them on Amazon for $40USD
This review rated it as the 2nd best helmet light on the market. 12 Best Bike Helmet Lights Reviewed & Rated in 2020 - Btaoregon

Here shots of the LED lights, clean setup no external battery or cables, 1000 lumens.
1605543091023.png

1605543206343.png

Last edited:

Tui

Jul 11, 2020
Highlands, Scotland
Hi there folks. I often read the comments here on emtb forum and find them sometimes interesting, informative and entertaining. On the subject of lights for one's mtb. Whilst I subscribe to the belief that you only get what you pay for I find the price of some of these bike lights excessive. £120 is far too much and £900 odds is way over the top in my opinion. If the light on full power lasted for about 5 hrs I could see the point but no, it doesn't. I live in the north of Scotland, UK and at the moment it is pitch dark in the forest where I ride at 4.45pm. This will reduce to 3.45pm in late Dec and Jan so I do a fair bit of night -time riding and thoroughly enjoy it. In my opinion you should try the 2 x CREE LED lights widely available on Amazon or EBay for about £19.00 To £25.00. See attached link and photos. I use two of these lamps that come with rechargeable power packs and on full power mode they are very bright and last for about 60 to 80 minutes. Lesser power buys you more time. I use one light as a dip beam lighting the ground immdiatly in front of me and one as a main beam, lighting further ahead. Adding a third to your helmet certainly helps. Go ahead and try it. It's only about £25 and if it doesn't suit then you may feel better at spending more. I have been using these since 2015 and although the batteries are getting a little tired they still perform ok. Spare or replacement battery packs are available for about £10. Over to you.

20201103_170728.jpg

Screenshot_20201114-230210_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20201103_170732.jpg

20201103_165018.jpg

20201103_165022.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I use two of these lamps that come with rechargeable power packs and on full power mode they are very bright and last for about 60 to 80 minutes.
I think I have the same light... it's in a box somewhere.. But agreed, works really well. Have several other types too, all are brighter than my van lights, but those ones have a larger battery and larger lighting area than most of my other ones.

The freeby bonus rear light works really well and lives on the bike constantly and is great to have for emergencies when you get caught out time wise and want to be seen !

For the main lights, the one thing that bugs me with them - how do you turn them off ??? One they're connected to the battery they seem to constantly show the charge levels - which if you leave it connected - flattens the battery :)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use the Bontrager Pro(lid, bar and seat post). Not to many options here for lights and Xmas candles are difficult to mount. I’ve figured out some decent mounting and charging options.(which all cost $$). The Lezyne are for road (400xl and Strip rear150).

5FE27DA9-437C-43C0-9858-18EEE627776A.jpeg

2320AB14-8F8F-458B-828A-73B56587111C.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I use the Bontrager Pro(lid, bar and seat post). Not to many options here for lights and Xmas candles are difficult to mount. I’ve figured out some decent mounting and charging options.(which all cost $$). The Lezyne are for road (400xl and Strip rear150).
More importantly, did you let poor "Gluten", presumably your German exchange student locked in your cellar - OUT ????? There's no date on that note, so he could have been eaten by the others by now ?

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Had a cheap aldi special,I'm.must of been special for buying it...just picked up the 1600 lumen Halfords light,although I've not actually been out with it to test how good or bad it is in real world,it does seem very bright with different modes and digital battery indicator..
If this doesn't work I'm just gonna grab an exposure one...fingers crossed the Halfords is as good.as reviews suggest

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I have an Exposure Maxx D still going strong in excess of 10 years so from that point of view as a re-chargeable light its owes me nothing ( I think I paid about £340..which was a small fortune at the time !) ..I also have on my helmet a set of " Chinese " lights which my local bike shop were importing directly at the time kicking out 2200 lumens which are helmet mounted ..and although excellent they aren't wireless..I got a deal ( as he is my mate ) £90.00..about 6 years ago
Close to 3000.lumens all told and does the job nicely

Screenshot_20210123-073528_Gallery.jpg

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Been using these for years
Really good value , quality kit and great back up service
Can buy singularly or as a kit , various beam angles and choices
Can be used front and rear or both due to ability to flip the lamp over and snap on / off coloured caps
Small but powerful lamps and batteries
Numerous mounting options
Direct from Australia , had mine in a few days

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles