Before rebuild: How fast? After rebuild: Not gonna!

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I used to enjoy shallow(ish) stream crossings. They are only around for about half the year, then the stream goes completely dry. Naturally, I kept hitting them faster and faster.

Then I spent some serious money for a Brose motor rebuild with uprated parts by @Bearing Man "s US affiliate at the end of last summer.

Now I ride up to the stream crossings and think, "Do I want to go through all that again?"

No!

I feel as though I am 'copping out' (not sure of the UK equivalent), and I definitely miss the fun of blasting through the stream. But I walk the bike through the water now.

SinbadCreekCrossing.jpg

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Walked around a lot of standing water (and deep mud) yesterday rather than riding through it. No point in possibly zapping the motor (Bosch CX). Tried a favourite trail to see if it had dried out enough to be usable. Mud came up to my ankles. Not one of my better ideas. :rolleyes:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
In a recent video with Josh Bryceland and Chris Akkrig, josh fully submerges his motor

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
You wouldn't notice the water damage for about 6 months if you submerge your motor, so it still working straight away is hardly a surprise.
it takes time for the metals inside to rust and then for that rust to act like sand paper.

most the submerge tests I see the cranks arent spinning so the grease is doing its job and not mixing with water etc.

a bike still working after sitting in water for 20mins doesn't tell me much unless you don't release that video after 6 months showing the inside of the motor.

I saw a video on youtube the other day where some Chinese 2-3k emtb that was supposed to be water proof was stuck in a lake for 30mins, I wish I could find the video.
even if that janky motor is water proof the bearings on the bike arent...

imagine soaking your pivots, freehubs etc in water lol.....

Seen people drive through water that covers their cranks on acoustic bikes, not for me ! and that's a simple BB change

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
You wouldn't notice the water damage for about 6 months if you submerge your motor, so it still working straight away is hardly a surprise.
it takes time for the metals inside to rust and then for that rust to act like sand paper.
There's a saying in motor racing related to delayed failure.

"That motor was absolutely bulletproof right up until it broke."

The diagnosis of my failing Brose was crank shaft corrosion at the sprag clutch contact area, which caused lots of riding problems. I didn't realize I was doing anything to damage the motor. I thought the bike washing and stream crossings were safe. Wrong!

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
There's a saying in motor racing related to delayed failure.

"That motor was absolutely bulletproof right up until it broke."

The diagnosis of my failing Brose was crank shaft corrosion at the sprag clutch contact area, which caused lots of riding problems. I didn't realize I was doing anything to damage the motor. I thought the bike washing and stream crossings were safe. Wrong!
If Michael did the Brose upgrade for you, streams and washing won't be a problem. The upgrade makes the motor extremely water resistant. It does not make it totally water proof, but streams, big puddles and washing (without a pressure washer) should be no problem.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
If Michael did the Brose upgrade for you, streams and washing won't be a problem. The upgrade makes the motor extremely water resistant. It does not make it totally water proof, but streams, big puddles and washing (without a pressure washer) should be no problem.
I sent the motor to eBike Motor Repair in Franklin, Tennessee. I don't remember if the guy I emailed was Michael.

It's good to hear that I can stop being so concerned about every drop of water!

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I sent the motor to eBike Motor Repair in Franklin, Tennessee. I don't remember if the guy I emailed was Michael.

It's good to hear that I can stop being so concerned about every drop of water!
Yes, it's Michael in Tennessee. Just check you got the upgrade before charging through too many puddles. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles