• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Bearings for head tube

Chriss111

Jan 16, 2020
Sweden
I have removed the fork on my bike for the first time and cleaned everything. (First time ever in my life)

The bearings looks like cheap entry level crap to me. Is this right or wrong?
Since I'm about to do a fork-upgrade, can i change the bearings as well?

Have attached a picture and the bearing on the right side is plastic ring

bearings.JPG

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have removed the fork on my bike for the first time and cleaned everything. (First time ever in my life)

The bearings looks like cheap entry level crap to me. Is this right or wrong?
Since I'm about to do a fork-upgrade, can i change the bearings as well?

Have attached a picture and the bearing on the right side is plastic ring

View attachment 25730
Yes cheap looking. I got shock looking at mess of mud in mine. I upgraded to enduring ones as mine we're not sealed great either . Same style as yours shocking really on a 7 grand bike

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Have a look at the surfaces, if you see pitting on the surfaces, then replace the headset. if you dont, why not throw in some new bearings they are cheap. And just pack it full of decent quality Grease to keep out water.

If you can I'd recommend upgraded to a higher quality sealed unit.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Have a look at the surfaces, if you see pitting on the surfaces, then replace the headset. if you dont, why not throw in some new bearings they are cheap. And just pack it full of decent quality Grease to keep out water.

If you can I'd recommend upgraded to a higher quality sealed unit.
Yes I'm surprised there's not a race in there .

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
It is what it is... it works fine but it isn't super durable. I changed to sealed bearings when I got another fork for my bike. But I remember just packing it full of balls and grease without the cage and using it like that for a while because I crushed the cage back then.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It is what it is... it works fine but it isn't super durable. I changed to sealed bearings when I got another fork for my bike. But I remember just packing it full of balls and grease without the cage and using it like that for a while because I crushed the cage back then.
Yes I upgraded to a better sealed one. First off the peg bike I've had for 10 years so I've been spoiled.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
@Binhill1 yes but your bike was 7k! I think you're right that's a cheap ass move from the manufacturer. What's your bike by the way?

Mine is an haibike sduro at 2k, so caged bearings aren't really surprising.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
@Binhill1 yes but your bike was 7k! I think you're right that's a cheap ass move from the manufacturer. What's your bike by the way?

Mine is an haibike sduro at 2k, so caged bearings aren't really surprising.
Levo Expert, I got a big surprise when I seen the mess of the top bearing with mud . Done about 1300miles when it got slack had to put in another spacer bottom one spotless though. Yes great bike but lot of mud off those big tyres. Enjoy

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles