Battery Problems

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Hi All.
Has any one had battery problems with the Specialized Turbo Levo FSR comp...2017 model
My bike has gone back to where I purchased it from. Now running into the third week. Specialized have now replaced my battery as my original developed a fault. Just under a year. 1000 miles on the bike.
Now I've been told it needs a new motor and wire harness.
When these get all replaced will the new warranty cover this for 2 years?

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Sounds like you have had the same problem as me and got water ingress into the motor or harness. With me, water got into the motor and ran down the PCB and into the harness. Motor died half way around CwnCarn, not a happy bunny. Motor (dead) and harness (corroded) replaced and touch wood never had any problems since. Let us know how you get on and if you think things are moving slowly give Specialized a call directly, they are very good in my opinion....

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Hi All.
Has any one had battery problems with the Specialized Turbo Levo FSR comp...2017 model
My bike has gone back to where I purchased it from. Now running into the third week. Specialized have now replaced my battery as my original developed a fault. Just under a year. 1000 miles on the bike.
Yes the new battery and new motor will carry a new 2 year warranty.

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
That's what they have told me. Water has corroded the wire harness. There was hardly any power coming from the motor. So now all 3 getting replaced under warranty. Did they supply version 1.3 motor?

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hi All.
I seriously doubt that the warranty period will be extended beyond the two years from the original date of sale ?
If they do then that would be truly amazing customer care from Specialized. I suspect that as time goes on, this particular type of problem will become a real headache for owners of bikes with fully integrated batteries.

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
Hi All.

I m on my 3rd battery !!! Disco lights. LED failures etc. A bad batch I was told......

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
That's what they have told me. Water has corroded the wire harness. There was hardly any power coming from the motor. So now all 3 getting replaced under warranty. Did they supply version 1.3 motor?
From what I have read they are supplying refurbed 1.2 motors for all bikes that originally had a 1.2 from new. They are not upgrading them to 1.3 ?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
From what I have read they are supplying refurbed 1.2 motors for all bikes that originally had a 1.2 from new. They are not upgrading them to 1.3 ?
To be fair, it’s not that much of a performance difference between the 1.2 and the 1.3. Since you paid for a 1.2, they are only obligated to give you a 1.2.
This won’t change as long as they have 1.2 motors to refurbish.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Theoretically if you burned through every charge cycle within the 2 year time period, they would have to give you another one every time for free.

Surely they would invoke their wear and tear clause?

This Limited Warranty is made on new Specialized bicycles or framesets purchased from an authorised Specialized dealer. In order to exercise your rights under this limited warranty, the bicycle or frameset must be presented to an authorised Specialized dealer, together with a proof of purchase. Should this bicycle, frameset or any part be determined by Specialized to be covered by this warranty, it will be repaired or replaced, at Specialized’s sole option, which will be conclusive and binding. Under no circumstances does this limited warranty include the cost of travel or shipment to and from an authorised Specialized dealer. Such costs, if any, shall be borne by the owner. This limited warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear, nor to claimed defects, malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, collision, crash or misuse. This bicycle or frameset has not been designed, engineered, distributed, manufactured, or retailed for use in trick riding, ramp riding, jumping, aggressive riding, riding on severe terrain, riding in severe climates, riding with heavy loads, commercial activities, or any similar activities; such use may damage the bicycle, can cause serious injury to the rider, and in all cases will void this warranty.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California

This Limited Warranty is made on new Specialized bicycles or framesets purchased from an authorised Specialized dealer. In order to exercise your rights under this limited warranty, the bicycle or frameset must be presented to an authorised Specialized dealer, together with a proof of purchase. Should this bicycle, frameset or any part be determined by Specialized to be covered by this warranty, it will be repaired or replaced, at Specialized’s sole option, which will be conclusive and binding. Under no circumstances does this limited warranty include the cost of travel or shipment to and from an authorised Specialized dealer. Such costs, if any, shall be borne by the owner. This limited warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear, nor to claimed defects, malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, collision, crash or misuse. This bicycle or frameset has not been designed, engineered, distributed, manufactured, or retailed for use in trick riding, ramp riding, jumping, aggressive riding, riding on severe terrain, riding in severe climates, riding with heavy loads, commercial activities, or any similar activities; such use may damage the bicycle, can cause serious injury to the rider, and in all cases will void this warranty.
They could, but Specialized is betting the farm on Ebikes so they have to do everything in their power to make sure the customer is taken care of

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California

They could, but Specialized is betting the farm on Ebikes so they have to do everything in their power to make sure the customer is taken care of.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
To be fair, it’s not that much of a performance difference between the 1.2 and the 1.3. Since you paid for a 1.2, they are only obligated to give you a 1.2.
I agree, the 1.3 is quieter and more efficient though I believe!!!

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Is the 1.3 motor knows as the S drive and the 1-2 the T drive.
My bulls has T drive and my Fantic has the S drive and there not even close. The Fantic stomps it on steep and long climbs.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
The Bosch warranty resets to 2 years as well.
He Doomanic, interesting :unsure: you have obviously been told something different to what my mate herbie was told when he had his new motor fitted about 3 months ago. The dealer who did the job, Certini here in Saltash were fantastic as they were not the actual supplying dealer, but our local Bosch service centre, We asked specifically if the new motor warranty would be two years from time of fitting and we were told definitely not and the warranty would expire at two years from the original date of sale.

It would be nice if they had this wrong :) I wonder who else has been told what?

royce

Aug 10, 2018
olympia, wa.
Sounds like you have had the same problem as me and got water ingress into the motor or harness. With me, water got into the motor and ran down the PCB and into the harness. Motor died half way around CwnCarn, not a happy bunny. Motor (dead) and harness (corroded) replaced and touch wood never had any problems since. Let us know how you get on and if you think things are moving slowly give Specialized a call directly, they are very good in my opinion....

Is there a way to make it so water can’t get into the motor to avoid this issue? When they put the new motor in did they make it so it can’t haooen again and how did they do it?
Thx

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Update.
My battery has been replaced, and new motor and wiring harness. All new parts supplied by specialized.
And I've been told warranty started on when I purchased the bike.
But where I got the bike from they will honour the warranty on the new parts if it goes wrong again.
Hopfully I will get the bike back this week.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Is there a way to make it so water can’t get into the motor to avoid this issue? When they put the new motor in did they make it so it can’t haooen again and how did they do it?
Thx
I believe water got into mine through the casing, not much you can do about that....

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
Just had my Battery replaced under warranty and just can't get it to pair with mission control or Blevo, any ideas?

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Just had my Battery replaced under warranty and just can't get it to pair with mission control or Blevo, any ideas?
Same here.
I've just had my battery replaced. Had no problems with pairing. What firmware has your battery got and motor..is your bike a 2017 model.

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
How did your batteries fail and Is there anything I can do to avoid mine failing? I have a 2017 Levo comp.
If they go wrong. They go wrong. They replaced mine with the 504w battery. I kept mine inside the house. Took the battery off my bike. Charged it up in the house.
And kept the battery in the house in winter time, when not using the bike.

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
Same here.
I've just had my battery replaced. Had no problems with pairing. What firmware has your battery got and motor..is your bike a 2017 model.
It's a 2018 model but can't check firmware until I get pairing problem solved, back to LBS I guess.

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Well my on going saga with my 2017 specialized turbo Levo Fsr comp. New battery and new wiring harnes. I've been out on it twice. Two 25 mile rides. No torque in the motor even at 100%!! Had ago at the workshop manager. Took 2 weeks to reply to my email..now the bike is going back for the second time. Took 5 weeks last time to get my bike back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles