Battery cover not attach well

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
Hey guys

Today I noticed a bigger rattle coming from the battery compartment. When I checked, the cover doesn't seem to attach perfectly to the frame, having a gap of a few mm.
Is there any adjustment to the release button to make it push more to the cover and make a better closing?
Thanks

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
The pin which the button attaches too can be moved in to make the cover fit more tightly - the pin is threaded with nuts holding it onto the frame - adjust the nuts to change the position of the pin.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Also check that the battery tray is tightly secured. The main fixing bolt is under the lock, just remove the two small torx screws and you can access it.
It's common for this bolt to come loose and cause a rattle or worse get damaged.

I highly recommend using a velcro strap around the battery if you're doing any aggressive riding.

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will check.
About the battery rattling, yeah, it's being bothering me for some time. It's a big fail from cube.
Yesterday I was on an event where there were some Ebikes, and none rattle like mine...

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
It's not necessarily a Cube issue rather a Bosch issue, or perhaps both.
I agree it's a poor design though, to have all the weight of the battery fixed to a carbon frame (in my case) with only 3 bolts.
Having suffered the battery tray coming loose on mine and damaging the mounting bracket I won't use the bike without a velcro strap and some foam padding behind the battery now.
Thankfully Bosch were quick to send out a replacement part but I don't trust it to not happen again.

What bike do you have?

While the battery or tray is probably the cause of your noise there was also a recall on some fox shocks that where rattling.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I have a 2022 Cube action team 160 and it rattled like mad from almost new.
I tried all the fixes suggested on here like packing behind the battery but nothing seemed to work
Eventually like you say it was the rear shock which I sent to Silverfish and was repaired under warranty and they were brilliant, they had repaired and back to me in about 4 days .
I could have sworn the noise was battery rattle as it was coming from the front of the bike, in hindsight the noise must have travelled from the rear and been amplified through the large carbon frame.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Same bike and same issue for me. It rattled from New and I just assumed it was the battery as that seems the common issue.
Turns out it was the shock. I sent it to silver fish and it was sorted quickly.

My battery tray issues came later at a bike park where I was doing jumps and big drops. The battery tray fixing screws worked loose and the battery was hanging in the frame by a thread!

Here was my shock fix thread.

Fox float X rattle

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Yes my battery cover also fell off
I glued the screw thread insert back in the plastic lock body
I also lost my battery cover as it fell off while on the bike rack so I also now use a Velcro strap as it wasn't easy to get hold of a new one
Not the best design 😕

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
It's not necessarily a Cube issue rather a Bosch issue, or perhaps both.
I agree it's a poor design though, to have all the weight of the battery fixed to a carbon frame (in my case) with only 3 bolts.
Having suffered the battery tray coming loose on mine and damaging the mounting bracket I won't use the bike without a velcro strap and some foam padding behind the battery now.
Thankfully Bosch were quick to send out a replacement part but I don't trust it to not happen again.

What bike do you have?

While the battery or tray is probably the cause of your noise there was also a recall on some fox shocks that where rattling.
It's a Stereo 140.
The shocks are Rockshocks.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't have a CUBE, but a Merida, eOne-Sixty but I too have had a few problems with the battery cover. It is never going to fall off, but the fit along the long sides was poor and it was letting in dirty water. I put three zip ties around the down tube to cinch in the sides of the cover into where they should be. I left it like that for a several weeks and when I removed the zip ties the problem was gone.
The cover is made from a stiff rubber-like material and it occurs to me now that the process may have been speeded up if I had applied heat from a hairdryer to the cover.

Merida and log stack.jpg

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
Well, just checked the issue: there's a screw missing that attaches the "battery key system". PROBLEM now: can't find my key...
What do you use as screw (any specific one) and any alternative for the key?
Thanks

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
So, to close the topic: keys were found ehehehhe
After removing the battery, the problem was on one screw that attaches the battery base to the frame. Added a washer and everything is tight again.
Gonna test it this weekend.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Glad you got it sorted.
Was it the bolt behind the lock or the 2 bolts at the bottom of the frame near the motor?

Using a small amount of blue thread lock should help prevent it coming loose again 👍

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
Glad you got it sorted.
Was it the bolt behind the lock or the 2 bolts at the bottom of the frame near the motor?

Using a small amount of blue thread lock should help prevent it coming loose again 👍
Hey
It was none of those. There is some kind of caddy inside, between the frame and the battery, right?
Around the middle of the caddy, there is a screw that was not wide enough to attach the caddy to the frame.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Yeah that sounds ideal.

Personally I use two, one at each end of the battery, but it depends on what kind of riding you're doing.

For "light" riding one in the middle or nearer the top should be fine.
If you're doing any sort of "aggressive" riding, jumps, drops etc then I'd definitely use two.

The ones I use are quite thin so I can wrap them around the battery and frame then the battery cover fits over the top. The only downside is water can get past the cover a little easier like this, but you can also get neoprene wraps to help if you do a lot of wet weather riding.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
These are what I use, they have no stretch so hold everything very securely, I use a small piece of rubber under the buckle to stop it scratching the frame

I have the 50mm X 400mm

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
Just for completeness.... i ended up ordering these Trilancer Straps They arrived today and seem to be a perfect fit for my Cube. I just need to test them ASAP. I can think of a few other uses for them as well including helping with additional security in attaching bike to towball bike rack (Buzz Rack E-Hornet 2).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles