Bash guard for Levo / Kenevo?

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on a bash guard for your Levo or Kenevo? I don't have one on my 2018 Levo; it looks pretty beefy along the base of the battery and the motor casing . . . I did get a bit of rock contact on the motor last weekend, just scraped it a little bit.

You'd think that Specialized would make the bike pretty robust; are any of you guys putting protection on the bike?

I came across this rock-guard : LEVO / KENEVO FSR / Hardtail e-bike, Battery/Frame guard - TURBO LEVO / KENEVO - SPECIALIZED - ROCKGUARDZ but there may be other alternatives.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Rockguardz stuff is really good Tori. it's made in england by Ian Walker. Matt Walker (elite WC DH, Danny Harts team mate)'s dad. Matt tests their stuff to distruction.
Here he is on a stanard trail bike ride ;)

Their carbon fibre stuff is pricy but I've heard nothing but praise for their downtube guards and mudguards from anyone I know with them. I have their PG350 short race mudguard on my YT Capra and for the size of it it does an amazing job. it's the cheaper plastic version of their carbon race guard and it's really well designed and robust too.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Rockguardz stuff is really good Tori. it's made in england by Ian Walker. Matt Walker (elite WC DH, Danny Harts team mate)'s dad. Matt tests their stuff to distruction.
Here he is on a stanard trail bike ride ;)

Their carbon fibre stuff is pricy but I've heard nothing but praise for their downtube guards and mudguards from anyone I know with them. I have their PG350 short race mudguard on my YT Capra and for the size of it it does an amazing job. it's the cheaper plastic version of their carbon race guard and it's really well designed and robust too.
I just ordered the carbon protectors for the downtube and motor - can't wait to get them on the bike :)

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Hi
I brought a Rockgaurdz for my bike. I brought two pieces which they supply for the levo. Fits really well. A bit pricey but worth it.
As for scratches taking it on and off the guard, they do supply a piece of heletape cut to shape to fit onto your bike frame.
But I didn’t use this as I covered my whole bike invisiframe. It also pricey. But if your going to spend allot of money on a bike, you have to look after it. If I have time today I’ll post some pictures of the rockgardz.

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
That Rockguardz stuff looks nice....does the guard just ‘clip’ on? Tend to remove my battery to charge inside, so the easier to remove the better.....

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Here are some pictures of the rockgaurds on my 2017 levo comp.
A280DD3E-FE25-4DC7-8A8F-6771755C29B9.jpeg
249777B8-B391-40C3-B1A2-8F34D7A01670.jpeg
A280DD3E-FE25-4DC7-8A8F-6771755C29B9.jpeg
249777B8-B391-40C3-B1A2-8F34D7A01670.jpeg
46DFFE3A-ED5D-4B4D-917A-7AE49102AE5D.jpeg

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Thanks for the photos, looks really neat. Will certainly be getting a set, once I have a bike for them to go on!

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
My Rockguardz sump guard fell off with the original sticky tape.

I replaced it and it fell off again!

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Fitted mine last night - I have Invisiframe already, but will add the extra film supplied with the guard, as the movement of my battery when I was crashing down the rocks on Dartmoor has already caused some rub marks.
When I first opened the package, I thought the carbon looked a litttle...soft (in form)? A little uneven and ‘blobby’ - however, it fits well and looks good.
With the bashing the bike is getting on the local rocks, this will certainly stop any more deep gouges!

8E539F2C-CC57-4FE1-840E-91B5E7EFA36D.jpeg

11CF651D-6B0C-4DED-BBFD-F2CD50B66E50.jpeg

EB391074-3619-42FB-A3D0-127F249F056A.jpeg

ECD5DC91-396D-4812-8B39-F894EECBA692.jpeg

BED8F097-B865-4F45-9B9F-20AA0B75E934.jpeg

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Fitted mine last night - I have Invisiframe already, but will add the extra film supplied with the guard, as the movement of my battery when I was crashing down the rocks on Dartmoor has already caused some rub marks.
When I first opened the package, I thought the carbon looked a litttle...soft (in form)? A little uneven and ‘blobby’ - however, it fits well and looks good.
With the bashing the bike is getting on the local rocks, this will certainly stop any more deep gouges!

View attachment 1537

View attachment 1538

View attachment 1539

View attachment 1540

View attachment 1541
Looks good!

Unfortunately, mine never showed up. It has now been nearly a month since ordering - I placed an order before a friend of mine on the 25th April, and he got his almost 2 weeks ago.

I asked repeatedly for a tracking number, mysteriously they never supplied any to me and communication has been poor.

I'm about to put in a PayPal dispute. Not offering a tracking number just isn't good enough in the online market place of 2018.

I've since contacted a French guy, who runs this site : AMYGOS - AMYGOS and I have ordered a bash plate from him as pictured here : AMYGOS - Turbo Levo Alu et carbone, 2015,2016,2017,2018

1526802110326.png

1526802087370.png

1526802150984.png

The business owner - Antoine - has been great to converse with via his Facebook page; and he works alone and custom makes all his bash guards and accessories. I'm happy to give him the business.

For anyone considering an alternative to the Rockguardz, perhaps give this a go. I'll let you know how it works out once I receive the product. The fastening system doesn't look as good as the Rockguardz, but it is likely more functional. Also, there is some integrated foam inside the bash guard for shock absorption, and it also protects the plug area of the motor.

Apr 10, 2018
US

View attachment 1537

View attachment 1538

View attachment 1539

View attachment 1540

View attachment 1541
Looks good!

Unfortunately, mine never showed up. It has now been nearly a month since ordering - I placed an order before a friend of mine on the 25th April, and he got his almost 2 weeks ago.

I asked repeatedly for a tracking number, mysteriously they never supplied any to me and communication has been poor.

I'm about to put in a PayPal dispute. Not offering a tracking number just isn't good enough in the online market place of 2018.

I've since contacted a French guy, who runs this site : AMYGOS - AMYGOS and I have ordered a bash plate from him as pictured here : AMYGOS - Turbo Levo Alu et carbone, 2015,2016,2017,2018

View attachment 1558
View attachment 1557
View attachment 1559
The business owner - Antoine - has been great to converse with via his Facebook page; and he works alone and custom makes all his bash guards and accessories. I'm happy to give him the business.

For anyone considering an alternative to the Rockguardz, perhaps give this a go. I'll let you know how it works out once I receive the product. The fastening system doesn't look as good as the Rockguardz, but it is likely more functional. Also, there is some integrated foam inside the bash guard for shock absorption, and it also protects the plug area of the motor.
Sorry you had trouble with your first order. Tbh I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this other guard. The fact that it protects the plug is a big plus.

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
My Rockguardz ‘sump’ cover (the 2nd, smaller piece available) is already doing its job - damn rocky on Dartmoor and the Quantocks!

304422F8-6977-412D-B5ED-FE0BAD354080.jpeg

RobbieJay

Jun 21, 2018
Scotland
Looks good!

View attachment 1558
View attachment 1557
View attachment 1559

I don't FaceBook, does he have an alternate menthod of sale?

Edit...
Oops just saw a link to the French site...

Last edited:

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
I’m wondering if my Rockguardz is actually a little expensive to be so sacrificial - Dartmoor rocks are brutal - I may investigate the Amygos option as well....once that carbon cracks it gets pretty nasty...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have seen the Amygos in the flesh and it is awesome, its like a set of NFL shoulder pads for the motor!

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Looks good!

View attachment 1558
View attachment 1557
View attachment 1559

Very nice! Looks solid and easy to take off and clean underneath.

@Tori Additionally i would get a back fender / protector to keep them rocks away from my bike frame and damper... from where is the protection on those pics? Amygos as well? Haven't found them in his shop.

Last edited:

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I've had the one piece Rockguard on my Carbon Comp for almost a year with zero issues. Would definitely recommend it.

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
I’ve tried both, Rockguardz and Amygos on my Kenevo.
I like the clean look of the Rockguardz, It broke the top tip to easily and it felt off the bike twice so I’m not a big fan of Velcro for this application.
On the other hand I love the protection you get from the Amygos, I wish it was a little bit less bulkier, I call it “Kenevo’s diaper”. Again I would like a more stylish look but to have it on is a peace of mind.
5F972B1B-71CC-4DF3-A39D-E3B3BC23C4E1.jpeg
EEED4FFC-EF6F-4E03-AD60-213694746F94.jpeg

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi, can I ask by how much the Amygos lower clearance? It seems really bulky, so I am afraid I will get even more hits with it than without. What is your exerience? Thanks

EDIT: can someone find info about that new 1 piece full cover guard from Rock Guardz? I still can't see it on their site.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Hi, can I ask by how much the Amygos lower clearance? It seems really bulky, so I am afraid I will get even more hits with it than without. What is your exerience? Thanks

EDIT: can someone find info about that new 1 piece full cover guard from Rock Guardz? I still can't see it on their site.

The bulky look and the lowered clearance is a thing for me, too - but i wonder how much it really is, as well.

Regarding the RockGuardZ Mark II - like stated above in the screenshot from their official facebook-post they should be available next week.

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
I don’t have the bike with me now but I would guess that it adds at least 5mm. It sounds a lot but not a big deal more than esthetics! I do a lot of rocky tech riding and I can clear “obstacles” without worrying, believe me I’m not dragging the Kenevo’s stomach all over the place ? . The thickness of the Amygos with the foam inside is perfect, well made and fits perfectly.

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
Hi JanCapek
I just measured it!
+/-278mm from lowest point to ground nacked. +/- 265mm with Amygos protector, so YES +/- 13mm is more than 5mm but also less than 20mm! Sorry I was wrong . ?
Anyway, hight should not be the reason for holding you back but if it’s for the looks I understand.
I hope this info is helpful
David

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles