Rail (750Wh) Bad Design?

SandroRiz

Sep 6, 2022
Italy
What do you think about this "slot" that fills with mud, pine needles, small pebbles that get stuck (they ruined my paint)?

2022-10-29_191811.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
..........and what it is doing to the pivot bearings there...............as a bove a rear mudguard would protect both.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
It is a common problem. If the slot was bigger, then bigger pebbles would jam in instead of bouncing off. The solution is a flexible cover. I have seen many different home-made on these pages.
Agree
This isn't exclusive to trek by a fair margin Most bikes have a gap there which can cause issues if left
But as already said a mud guard or small rubber flap can solve the problem in an instant.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Er, I have to admit to not owning a 3D printer, but I did manage to salve my inner ‘Blue Peter’ instincts, courtesy of the milk marketing board! A removeable cable tie helps with easy on and off:

View attachment 102424
.....maybe a quick paint job would make it a little less.......Whyte! To be honest I' not sure why you do not just fit a rear mudguard to achieve protection of the chainstay pivots but also the seat stay/yoke linkage bearings which are in the direct firing line of trail mud/water coming off the rear tyre ( main exit point off the tyre is the top of the tyre). I use a Mudhugger FRX ( front mudguard but fitted on the back))

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
I do have a rear mudguard fitted as well, but the Forest track crud and pins hang on to the tyre and deposit themselves on the now protected part. Will be checking out the milk manufacturers for custom colours though😁👍🏻

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I do have a rear mudguard fitted as well, but the Forest track crud and pins hang on to the tyre and deposit themselves on the now protected part. Will be checking out the milk manufacturers for custom colours though😁👍🏻
no need to wait for custom colours..any acrylic paint will do the job with no undercoat. You could do it trail mud brown:p

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles