AXS, old vs new?

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I really want to switch over to electric shifting but don’t know whether to fork out for the new transmission stuff or go for the older stuff?

What I’ve understood so far, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is that;
The older AXS derailleur will work with my Shimano cassette and chain etc. T-type needs new everything.
The T-type is better for shifting under load (not that I’m in the habit of doing it but just makes sense to me for an emtb drivetrain to be able to).
The old stuff doesn’t mount directly, which I’m keen on. Surely it eliminates so much aggro when setting up? (It’s not something I do often so always end up having to watch a YouTube video to remind me!)

Am I missing anything else important? Is the T-type really worth all that extra money? Are all AXS batteries interchangeable or just across the eagle range?

Last edited:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The other plus of the new axs is the mech is much neater and lower profile.

I couldn’t justify the cost of £405 vs £1050, and needed a mech this week, so went with old axs. I expect I’ll upgrade when I knock this mech off thou.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Old AXS works with a UDH hanger, you just can't use T-type on frames that don't use a UDH.
I had older X0 AXS on my Orbea Wild and now have a GX T-type transmission setup on my Pole Voima, and the smooth shifting under load is really nice.

The thing I really didn't like about the older AXS shifting was it would slam the derailleur even when you were shifting down the cassette and it would slam into the next gear.

And the batteries are all interchangeable.

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The setup of the T-type is a breeze... as there are no adjustment screws.
There is an app to help you with whether the setup key (essentially a DIP switch) should be in position A or B according to your bike, and to establish the chain length.

Once that's done, it's pretty much a case of fitting everything, and then riding.

The T-type is also much more resilient. I'm sure you'll have seen videos of people standing on the derailleur and smashing it off stuff. Some of the first reviews (who had been testing it for 6+ months) were reporting no notable wear or stretching of the chain.

I went from an AXS XX1 setup that I'd been running for over 3 years to a XX T-Type, and was impressed with the difference.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
How about controllers/shifters? I notice there’s a few different ones. Are they all interchangeable? Any better than others? The new kit seems to come with buttons whereas the older seem to mimic traditional levers.

I’ve also noticed that 36t t-type chainrings are considerably cheaper than the 34t I’d need to match my current one. If I can buy the cheapest controller and chainring I can get a GX set up for just over £800.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
How about controllers/shifters? I notice there’s a few different ones. Are they all interchangeable? Any better than others? The new kit seems to come with buttons whereas the older seem to mimic traditional levers.

I’ve also noticed that 36t t-type chainrings are considerably cheaper than the 34t I’d need to match my current one. If I can buy the cheapest controller and chainring I can get a GX set up for just over £800.

The controllers are personal preference I guess. I've had the 3 different types, and each one felt a little alien for the first ride - but you quickly get used to them.

A lot of people are still using the original 'shifter' type one with the T-Type. I thought I'd try the new T-Type POD (since it came with the kit) and after a few rides (and repositioning), I really like it. The buttons are crisp and give good feedback when pressing them.
I still have the shifter type one on my Stumpjumper, and have the original 'paddle' one in a box that I don't use at all.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To me "T" is a very expensive solution and is mostly hype!!
I have the original AXS (GX) on one bike and standard X01 mech/GX cassette on another. Both work flawlessly and both require only minimal back off to change gear. The older AXS is also capable of withstanding knocks from the side and the UHD takes care of impact from the front. Save your cash for something that makes a real difference.....like new tyres or suspension servicing.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
If I were to go with the Gx Axs upgrade kit I’d be pairing it with Shimano cassette and chain. Will that work just as well?

Reason I asked is I want to spend money where it’s going to make a difference. Shock pump is arriving tomorrow so I can set my bike up right. Not checked it since the shop set it up when I bought it 18 months ago. Not looked at tyres yet. Wouldn’t know where to start! Bike came with hans dampfs on it.

• Wow
Reactions: Dax

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
If I were to go with the Gx Axs upgrade kit I’d be pairing it with Shimano cassette and chain. Will that work just as well?

Reason I asked is I want to spend money where it’s going to make a difference. Shock pump is arriving tomorrow so I can set my bike up right. Not checked it since the shop set it up when I bought it 18 months ago. Not looked at tyres yet. Wouldn’t know where to start! Bike came with hans dampfs on it.
Loads of threads/YouTube vids on mixing it. I’ve set it up 100 miles ago with Shimano 12 speed cassette and chain that came on my strive on and it works flawlessly. Setup was really quick and just needed 2 micro adjusts on the shifter to get it perfect. Setup I’ll be sticking with as Shimano chain and cassette cost less than £100 to replace

Guide I used to setup

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I really want to switch over to electric shifting but don’t know whether to fork out for the new transmission stuff or go for the older stuff?

What I’ve understood so far, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is that;
The older AXS derailleur will work with my Shimano cassette and chain etc. T-type needs new everything.
The T-type is better for shifting under load (not that I’m in the habit of doing it but just makes sense to me for an emtb drivetrain to be able to).
The old stuff doesn’t mount directly, which I’m keen on. Surely it eliminates so much aggro when setting up? (It’s not something I do often so always end up having to watch a YouTube video to remind me!)

Am I missing anything else important? Is the T-type really worth all that extra money? Are all AXS batteries interchangeable or just across the eagle range?
Most of the reviews I have seen on YouTube from VitalMtb etc all seem to agree that the GX option is the most refined option and so better value for money.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
To me "T" is a very expensive solution and is mostly hype!!
I have the original AXS (GX) on one bike and standard X01 mech/GX cassette on another. Both work flawlessly and both require only minimal back off to change gear. The older AXS is also capable of withstanding knocks from the side and the UHD takes care of impact from the front. Save your cash for something that makes a real difference.....like new tyres or suspension servicing.
Agreed

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
I ran the original XO AXS for almost 3 seasons and have had the XX on both a Relay and now my Exe.
The T Type is easier to setup, quieter, shifts under load, more durable, has repair parts, and in my experience shifts just as fast. My only gripe is the new shifting pod...sucks IMO.
Would never go back to cable shifting and the original AXS is still incredible. That being said, all my bikes going forward will have T Type

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
My usual attitude is ‘buy cheap, buy twice’. I really wanted the t-type. But I had to remember I wasn’t comparing cheap and expensive, more like expensive and effing expensive! Also the rest of my drivetrain only has 500 miles on it so seemed a shame to take it all off. Hopefully by the time it wears out there’ll be some cheaper deals around.

Derailleur arrived today. Hopefully have time to get it on this evening and have a little blast.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
My usual attitude is ‘buy cheap, buy twice’. I really wanted the t-type. But I had to remember I wasn’t comparing cheap and expensive, more like expensive and effing expensive! Also the rest of my drivetrain only has 500 miles on it so seemed a shame to take it all off. Hopefully by the time it wears out there’ll be some cheaper deals around.

Derailleur arrived today. Hopefully have time to get it on this evening and have a little blast.
And my attitude is like with my tools, "buy once, cry once"
But if I only had 500 miles on an AXS system, I wouldn't upgrade either. Get another season out of it unless you think it might get really abused, then you might be better off selling it to cover some costs of the T Type

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
I had the luck that I could test the XX Transmission in januari before the launch on my Canyon Spectral ON CFR LTD. I was all ready fan of the XX1 AXS shifting. Using it for a few years on several bikes. So I was really sceptic for the new Transmission.

After a few rides. I was impressed and surprised. Shifting under load is much better under control. Now both emtb's have XX Transmission. Only the normal Mtb has the XX1 AXS. For that bike I do not see the need to change to the Transmission.

Running it on Spectral ON CFR LTD and Torque ON CF. On the Spectral 4000 + Km and the new Torque ON 1000 + Km.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles