Autumn essentials?

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
My first autumn riding an mtb/emtb.

After yesterday's outing and hitting many, many puddles on the trail, i have made a list of "needs".
  • Waterproof socks.
  • Waterproof, windproof jacket.
  • Waterproof trousers.
  • Helicopter tape/frame protection kit
  • With winter coming, my summer gloves need changing?

Anything else classed as essential or advised?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
+1 on the glove change. Have a look at the Sealskinz DragonEye range. (Pay attention to the description, they have different types).
Mucky Nutz on the fork and on the seat stay brace. Will only keep the worst off you, but much better looking than full-on mudguards.
Wet lube for the chain.
Neck tube to keep the water out and the heat in. Also good for rolling up when the wind is proper cold.
Water resistant grease on the main pedal bearing.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
A decent front mudguard is essential imo to keep the mud etc out of my face. Not worried out the rear end so much but am thinking about one of those horrible looking mud hugger things…

Otherwise good water proof gear from the feet up - sealskinz socks in goretex 5-10’s (recently got those trail cross ones everyone’s been going on about so will be interesting to see how they perform, Endura MT500 trousers and jacket and sealskins gloves. Don’t use a neck buff or any hat under my helmet because I’ll get too hot.

I also carry a spare warm layer and gloves in rucksack and if on a longer trip one of those down jackets which pack down really small and weigh nothing and a woolly hat for longer stops.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref the neck tube. At this time of year and beyond I always take one with me. I might start off with it on, I might not. But I can always take it off if I get too warm. So far, I cannot remember ever putting a neck tube back on once I have removed it. But I can remember many rides where I was very grateful to have had one on.
When it gets really cold, I take a skull cap as well, just in case. Been grateful for that too. :)

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Yes one of my riding mates swears by his neck warmer. My problem is that I run hot so anything like that, or a hat or extra layer under my jacket while riding and I boil. I very quickly warm up when exercising - even just walking the dog!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles