Are Shimano staying in the motor game ?

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I very much doubt the form factor of Bosche is exactly the same as Shimano. As you say interchangeable motors would be great but proprietary elements prevail for product kick in.

An insider has told me that we are still at the Nokia 3310 end of development and no where near the first launch of the iPhone equivalent.

So fancy looks aside there's a lot that can be developed focussing on battery tech (much smaller form factor) motors (more efficient and separate from BB) along with more granular control of the system.

Sticking the battery into the down tube really is Janet & John book 2 after externally sticking the battery on top of it...which was book one.

I'll stick with my ugly bike aka book one as reckon it's as good as many in mixed terrain....

Again...a big development would ability to maintain the motor unit, especially bearings. I think (correct me) only Bosch motors can have the equivalent of BB bearing replaced by trained LBC

Jules

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
External motor (not in the BB) alreadt exist, it's the dyname system used by rocky mountain.
I doubt that the already very good efficiency of electric motors will be much improved : marginal gains at best.
As for batteries, the specialized guy told us (before the chat was taken offline) that there would be a 15% improvment in 2 years. I think the technology is pretty mature now.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ya rocky has something with that dyname motor. Rocky isnt the quickest at developing products but they should put the hammer down and make that lighter and more compact and add an eslayer. Maybe even partner up with another big brand to get more exposure of the dyname, a la santa cruz vpp to intense.
Also add a shit ton of standover ffs!!! The og sloping top tube company needs to get with the program

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
An insider has told me that we are still at the Nokia 3310 end of development and no where near the first launch of the iPhone equivalent.
Jules

I agree completely. We need someone like Elon Musk to climb into this industry and change most of it.
In the meantime, let’s enjoy the ride!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles