Apple Watch watchOS 10

jab0rnal

Sep 20, 2023
UK
Now that it has been officially released for a few days, has anybody tried connecting their bike to their Apple Watch?

I have a cube stereo with the Bosch system, it won't find the bike as a health device to connect to. This is not surprising, considering the limited connectivity for the Bosch system, like it only supports the Apple Watch heart rate monitor through the flow app.

I checked it with my indoor neo bike and that works perfectly.

It would be great to have all my metrics (cadence, speed, power and heart rate) going through the same device. Currently, I'm in a situation where I have to choose between heart rate or the bike metrics, I cant have both.

Anyway, I may consider getting rid of the Bosch system if there is another eMTB out there that allows Apple Watch connectivity. Any ideas?

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Would this work? I use it to connect my Apple Watch to my garmin edge so I can see my heart rate on the garmin

datoch

May 1, 2023
Georgia
Would this work? I use it to connect my Apple Watch to my garmin edge so I can see my heart rate on the garmin

Thanks for suggestion, have you tried to connect phone to bike as HRM sensor?

jab0rnal

Sep 20, 2023
UK
I'm out for a ride tomorrow so spent some time figuring out what to do. I've gone for this:

Downloaded HealthFit iOS app for my phone (£4.99). This allows me to easily extract fit files from Apple Health.

I will then set the normal watch workout app going when I start the ride, and ill also start the Bosch eBike flow app on my phone. That means at the end of the ride I can export both fit files, one from the flow app and one from the HaelthFit app.

I will then use gotoes, a free online tool, to combine both of those fit files into one gpx file with both bike metrics and heart rate data in one file.

Upload that to strava. I've tested the process with an old ride and it's worked for me. What a carry on, I wish Bosch would sort their ecosystem out (they call it a smart system, ha!) and allow us to connect an ant or BT heart rate monitor. Or even better, allow the bike to show up as a health device on apple watch BT and just let the watch collect all the data.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I will then use gotoes, a free online tool, to combine both of those fit files into one gpx file with both bike metrics and heart rate data in one file.

Upload that to strava. I've tested the process with an old ride and it's worked for me. What a carry on, I wish Bosch would sort their ecosystem out (they call it a smart system, ha!) and allow us to connect an ant or BT heart rate monitor. Or even better, allow the bike to show up as a health device on apple watch BT and just let the watch collect all the data.
What are the metrics and data you are actually trying to capture?

Considering HR, Calories, Elevation, Speed & Distance are all on strava I presume your looking to add cadence and possibly Power from the Flow app?

jab0rnal

Sep 20, 2023
UK
What are the metrics and data you are actually trying to capture?

Considering HR, Calories, Elevation, Speed & Distance are all on strava I presume your looking to add cadence and possibly Power from the Flow app?
Yeah, that's right. I want to add power and cadence.

The flow app can capture heart rate from the Apple Watch but when it uploads to strava it removes the heart rate. Or, if you export it to a fit file from flow, then the fit file won't contain the heart rate data. It exports to Apple Health as a workout, but minus the cadence and power data.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Yeah, that's right. I want to add power and cadence.

The flow app can capture heart rate from the Apple Watch but when it uploads to strava it removes the heart rate. Or, if you export it to a fit file from flow, then the fit file won't contain the heart rate data. It exports to Apple Health as a workout, but minus the cadence and power data.
But you want the data in health and strava too?

Because if the flow app can have HR then you have all the information you are after. HR, Calories, Distance, Time, Elevation, Cadence & Power. So you problem isin't recording the data its how it transfers to your output of choice Strava/Apple Health?

jab0rnal

Sep 20, 2023
UK
But you want the data in health and strava too?

Because if the flow app can have HR then you have all the information you are after. HR, Calories, Distance, Time, Elevation, Cadence & Power. So you problem isin't recording the data its how it transfers to your output of choice Strava/Apple Health?
It's a little more complex than that, sadly.

Flow will capture the heart rate data through Apple Watch, however once the ride is complete it exports the workout to Apple Health workouts with just the heart rate data. It then saves it internally to flow WITHOUT the heart rate data. It also exports to strava automatically WITHOUT the heart rate data. This is an issue with flow which they have refused to fix for at least a year.

Not to mention, the Apple Watch flow app is pretty poor. Sometimes in connects, other times it does not. In other situations, it will stop collecting HR data halfway through a ride without me noticing.

My ideal outcome is to find an emtb that allows connection to an Apple Watch through the new watchOS 10 API, that, to me, is the ideal solution, as per the original post.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Yea you may need to make some concessions sadly as I don’t think your going to get everything all the time.

I don’t use apple workouts and just use Strava for everything. It has perfect HR from the watch but of course no cadence or power. But the flow app (that runs automatically) has power & cadence so between the two I get everything I need. Just not altogether

bordim

Dec 29, 2023
Brasil
Yea you may need to make some concessions sadly as I don’t think your going to get everything all the time.

I don’t use apple workouts and just use Strava for everything. It has perfect HR from the watch but of course no cadence or power. But the flow app (that runs automatically) has power & cadence so between the two I get everything I need. Just not altogethero

I don’t use apple workouts and just use Strava for everything. It has perfect HR from the watch but of course no cadence or power. But the flow app (that runs automatically) has power & cadence so between the two I get everything I need. Just not altogether
Oque fazer então? Não conseguimos juntar as duas informações??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles