Anyone tried Eddy Current tyres ?

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
Hi. I have a Trek Rail 9 and it has Bontrager SE5 29 2.6 tyres. I've just purchased Eddy Current front and rear in the same size! Anyone got these? They do feel quite heavy but look solid!

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
I had 27.5 x 2.8s on my Haibike Allmtn's rear for several months. I liked them just fine, VERY hard to install but super-stiff sidewalls and rip/puncture-proof. The edge knobs' inners rounded quickly though, within a few trail hours, and a bunch came off all at once after a couple hundred miles (pic below). I think the knobs are too chunky for narrower than 2.6 - they'd either be too close together or there'd be too few per sq in...
1609335542957.png

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Damn man. Is that the old compound or new? I haven’t ripped any off.
Got it for like $48 in 2018 from bike-discount.de, back when they shipped to the USofA. Now we seem to be the ONLY country they don't ship to, which bums me out because they sell a lot of stuff for less than US wholesale... which is likely why they stopped! Distributor and retailer complaints... "squeaky wheels."

How many hours/miles on yours? Hopefully this new compound you speak of wears and adheres better! Meanwhile, I've gone Maxxis...

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Waiting on an Eddy current rear(backorder) and I am putting a set on some new carbon wheels. They look ok to me and I think the knobbies ripping off has been fixed on the newer tires......

Alain78

Nov 2, 2020
France
I have the Eddy Current at the front and at the rear in 29 x 2.6 on my Radon Render I have done 950Km still in very good condition, no punctures and pressure of 1.1 at the front and 1.35 at the arière since the flants are very thick so perfect for me, I recommend.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I hate my Eddy Current rear. Even on surfaces where it doesn't instantly clog the sidewalls are far too stiff so there's no compliance over rocks and roots and the ride is really harsh.

JIM46

Jan 15, 2020
Staffordshire
I also have Trek rail with Magic Mary on front & Eddy Current rear. Eddy current is better for more aggressive riding but if you ride a lot of steady trail miles it's bit of a drag. Otherwise great combo & no punctures yet (touch wood).

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Hi. I have a Trek Rail 9 and it has Bontrager SE5 29 2.6 tyres. I've just purchased Eddy Current front and rear in the same size! Anyone got these? They do feel quite heavy but look solid!

They are the nuts in my opinion. I have 2.8 up front and 2.6 at back. Superb in the current climate (UK).

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
Not to be a downer , but mine went to the can after a half dozen rides. Tooo heavy, to hard to mount , No payoff! Horrible grip in wet , no compliance In the rocks , Bounce all over the place. I can’t find anything that performs like maxiss.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Interesting to see different takes on the Schwalbe Eddy Currents. Not trying to be Captain Obvious here. Lots of things factor in to how a tire performs: inner rim width, riding conditions, trail types, tube/tubeless, tire pressure just to name a few. Most important is for me is rider preference!

Ride the Eddy's 2.6's front & rear on my 2021 Spesh Levo FF S-Works and think they are the cats meow! Will admit they are a pain in the arse to install. Wouldn't want to have a do a trail side repair but can be mounted relatively quickly using some hacks that have formulated over time.

Have them mounted 30mm rims and think the 2.6's are a perfect match. Very strong sidewalls and super puncture resistant. I live in Southern California and very rarely encounter wet weather so I can't speak for that aspect. Been a huge fan of Maxxis tires over the years and have a pretty high bar when giving a grade to tires. I highly recommend. Excellent tire for climbing and very durable tire, almost no signs of wear after months of riding them. Rolling resistance is not the best in class, but I think most emtb riders don't place the highest emphasis on this category (if you do, highly recommend Michelin E-Wild's!)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I live in Southern California and very rarely encounter wet weather so I can't speak for that aspect.
That's a huge factor. All my mates who ran them through the UK summer (it does exist, honest) and raved about them had abrupt about turns as soon as the weather turned and the trails got sloppy.
For me, in the dry the sidewalls are just too stiff and unpredictable when pinging off rocks and roots and that's running them at 14-15PSI.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
It’s funny the different opinions people have. I’ve been riding in the wet English mud for the last couple of months and the Eddy’s offer fantastic grip on the side of wet trails where it’s off camber and excellent grip else where.

The only time they let go was on wet leaves along with driver braking errors.

I run at 15-17psi.

Last edited:

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I run a 27.5x2.6 on the rear of my Decoy. They are one the most difficult to mount tires. I use DH tire levers and it makes the job far easier. I live in Texas so dry hard pack is the normal dirt. I am liking the tire a lot. I like aggressive downhill trails and the tire works very well. I normally run Minions with DD casing. I think the Eddy Current is comparable to the Minions. I don’t find them to be harsh and bouncy but I have a coil shock so maybe that negates the bounce effect.

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
Turbo Levo carbon with 29" SC Reserve carbon rims.
I switched from the Butchers (when they were worn), to Magic Mary's (2.6) up front and Eddy's on rear (2.6) and I change the rear to Hans Dampfs (2.6) in winter, but they are a bit chunkier and can rub on rear mudguard, unless that is very well positioned.

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
Turbo Levo carbon with 29" SC Reserve carbon rims.
I switched from the Butchers (when they were worn), to Magic Mary's (2.6) up front and Eddy's on rear (2.6) and I change the rear to Hans Dampfs (2.6) in winter, but they are a bit chunkier and can rub on rear mudguard when new, unless that is very well positioned.
PS Santa Cruz reserve rims are 30mm internal and I run tyres at about 18-20 psi and weigh 80kg. Also changed rear shock to 2021 DPX2 from DPS. Front fork is a 160 Fox 36 Kashima, Grip 2 with e-bike seals, superb.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
I had 27.5 x 2.8s on my Haibike Allmtn's rear for several months. I liked them just fine, VERY hard to install but super-stiff sidewalls and rip/puncture-proof. The edge knobs' inners rounded quickly though, within a few trail hours, and a bunch came off all at once after a couple hundred miles (pic below). I think the knobs are too chunky for narrower than 2.6 - they'd either be too close together or there'd be too few per sq in...
View attachment 48588
You must have been watching a re-run of Nigella over Xmas to rip that many off! :eek:

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
You must have been watching a re-run of Nigella over Xmas to rip that many off! :eek:
The day I first noticed missing knobs, only three had come off but a few others were hanging by a... thread? I yanked all the totally loose ones before I shot that pic.

My guess is that they started peeling off a couple-few rides prior, I just didn't notice right away...

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Just put a Big Betty's on the rear. Soft (orange stripe) compound. About 150km on them. Far superior to the DHR2 on wet surfaces like tree roots and leaves. Slightly better on the loose stuff. Slightly worst rolling resistance on hardpack.

Mar 11, 2020
Howdy fellas, not to hijack but since it's on topic. We have ridden nearly 30 sets of Eddy Current tires on everything from Southern California desert (super rocky and rough) to Oregon loam. We love the tire on ALMOST everything! The only weak spot we've found is in fall months when pine needles are on top of dry soil or lots of leaves on hard pack.

Here's a review we posted on our site. Hopefully it gives a bit more insight too!

Huge fans of the forum and love being able to read all the fun stuff you guys are up to with your bikes.
Drew

Darkred

Oct 9, 2020
Sheffield
Not an expert as i have only had them on 2019 Levo for a month now. 29 x 2.6 front and rear and and went tubeless. Its been icy and snowy and sloppy where it isn't icy round by me this month, and they have been the level above next level from the Butchers i had on before. I've been going up and down slippy as hell stuff with ice and mud, and the butchers would not have coped at all. All i got was the odd slip but never out of control. Didn't clog in the slop either, and held like glue on the local drier trails. I think i can reduce the pressure as running 20 psi Front and 22 rear so looking forward to having a play with that.

With regards to fitting, that was easy. Can see how it could be hard but saw a few tips online that really helped. Leave the tyre near a radiator for a bit or in a warm room. When you put it on the rim put both sides on and zip tie in on, work it round and zip tie again, do it 3rd time if needed and use tyre lever for final push near the first zip tie. Didn't need much force. They went on and sat really nicely on the rim. (Front i didn't need a blast of air and it just pumped up with a normal foot pump without needing to be seated!) Agree fixes trialside may be a pain, but i have some ties in my pack now for this

Hope this helps :)

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Mary front, Eddy rear and in the Wet muddy Lincolnshire Wolds the Eddy is awful, its coming off this week and will be saved for drier weather. I'm sure it will be as tough as old boots or i certainly hope it is cos you've got no chance of reseating if the beads come off!!!

TomP

May 4, 2018
Belgium
I just did my first 100kms with the new Eddy Currents in size 27x2.8. I was using the Specialized Butchers before and I don't have experience with anything else on the EMTB. These Eddy's are way better than the Butchers. I run them at 19psi (front) and 20psi (back). Next ride I'm going to lower it to 18-19 I think. Difficult to mount, but so far I'm happy with them. First rides were in medium wet/muddy underground in Belgium.

itsanebikething

Jan 5, 2021
Scotland
Couldn’t get the rear eddy current to seat properly on my race face ARC 30 rim ? the sidewalls are so difficult to work with. The only schwalbe tyre I’ve never managed to fit. Gave up and ordered another schwalbe tyre in a different casing which I hope will be easier to fit. The magic Mary went on the front with zero problems.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles