Anyone runs Rohloff speed hub on their eMTB?

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
When you converted to Rohloff or Kindernay did you reassemble the rear wheel rim with new spokes? Or you bought new wheel with attached speed hub?

It also looks like Rohloff is not very durable. This unit failed just only after 11000 miles of casual commute

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
When you converted to Rohloff or Kindernay did you reassemble the rear wheel rim with new spokes? Or you bought new wheel with attached speed hub?

It also looks like Rohloff is not very durable. This unit failed just only after 11000 miles of casual commute

I would be happy with 11,000 miles / 17,702 km !

I have tested the Rohloff E14 Speedhub on a 45 km/h Riese and Muller Superdelite once. Electric shifting and belt drive made it stand out for sure from other eBikes.

But it is so expensive that I don't know if it will ever be common with standard eMTBs (Nicolai being the exception). I think it makes more sense on adventure bikes to avoid breakdowns in the middle of nowhere where there are few spare parts available.

It would also make more sense to have the "gearbox" in the same unit as the motor. Let's hope that Shimano will realize their plans soon!

Last edited:

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Would it work on a new Haibike all mtn 7? I presume its 1000 for the roloff then new crank? new belt, then conversion and fitting. Are we looking at £ 1500 all in?

jonlevo

May 19, 2020
surrey
I've been running a Kindernay on a Levo for about eight months now, but did run a succession of Rohloffs for about nine years prior to the ebike days on various bikes, including a couple of Niner WFOs.

After destroying one derailleur system too many on the Levo early this year, I decided to go back to the Rohloff, and infact sized it all up with their measuring kit and went through that process, but then found the Kindernay, and its 12mm through axle seemed the simpler system, despite my fondness for the Rohloff.

Either way, Rohloff or Kindernay, they are both very durable systems, and while the Kindernay has yet to prove itself as well as the Rohloff in terms of durability, due to being a new product, my feeling after a winter of hard use is that it is strong and bombproof.

The point I mainly want to make is regarding unsprung weight that many IGH critics raise. Yes, it was an issue when on a standard bike and the weight was felt in some circumstances. However the advantages of the IGH outweighted the those handling issues for me at that time.

With an ebike and its extra mass, cush core inserts, 3" tyres and coil suspension, the extra unsprung weight of the Kindernay is not felt. At all.

I ride with a group of five Kenevos and it is a rare ride where one or more don't have drivetrain issues.

Some of these riders do exhibit a lack of mechanical sympathy it has to be said, but to be fair, it is hard to be kind to the equipment once the blood is pumping and the red mist descends....

The Kindernay on the other hand, has performed faultlessly thus far. It never throws a chain, twists a chain, breaks a chain, derailleur, gets bogged/clogged up with mud etc.

It is easy to get hung up on weight, especially unsprung weight, but that is no longer an issue in the era of ebikes, imo.

To be fair, it is a lot of money, either way, Rohloff or Kindernay. But everytime one of our group has to repair something, I feel that could have just as easily been me having the problem and I mentally credit that cost against the Kindernay.

It will pay for itself, in time. But until that day, the confidence that I'll never have drivetrain issues again is worth any expense.

Highcountrydrifter,
I'm on my 4th derailleur in a year for my Levo, so seriously considering a hub gear system.
Have you suffered from the gear changer getting stuck, because of mud in the wheel change mechanism, like some report?
Now you've used both are there any particular advantages/disadvantages to either brand?
It seems, from what I read, the Kindernay is easier to install.
thanks
Jon

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Kindernay is easier to install and easier to maintain. Kindernay uses thumb levers for shifting gears and Rohloff uses twist ring to shift gears - I think thumb levers are better for MTB because of you don't have to ease your hand grip and move your hand on the shifter and twist it, with thumb lever shifter you keep your grip on the handlebar and operate with your thumb to shift the gears without compromising control. With Kindernay you also can easy swap wheels on bicycle or the gear hub between bicycles because of on the Kindernay the wheel is attached to the separate hub and the Kindernay shifting mechanism in not bolted on the hub and requires no adjustments, it is just plug and play. Kindernay also has the biggest gear range probably across all of the bicycles speed systems, not only across the gear hubs.

Last edited:
The Rohloff can be equipped with an electrical shifter. I have tested that and it is great. 1 click - 1 gear. Holding down the shifter, it will automatically shift through the gears. When stopping, it automatically shifts to a preset gear. >520% gear range is enough I think.

Not favouring Rohloff over the Kindernay, just clarifying.

Mar 25, 2020
New Zealand
Highcountrydrifter,
I'm on my 4th derailleur in a year for my Levo, so seriously considering a hub gear system.
Have you suffered from the gear changer getting stuck, because of mud in the wheel change mechanism, like some report?
Now you've used both are there any particular advantages/disadvantages to either brand?
It seems, from what I read, the Kindernay is easier to install.
thanks
Jon
Sorry, hadnt noted your post.
As the Kindernay uses hydraulic shifting, there is no possibity of the gear changer getting stuck. Rohloff cables would eventually need attention and the gear change would get harder as time went on, and I would change once or twice a year.
Kindernay system is fully enclosed and has given no problems thus far, although the changes arent quite as definite as are a Rohloff.

tubazoltan

Aug 16, 2021
Gödöllő
Hi,

I think this fits into this thread, although it's not a strict eMTB:

I have installed a Rohloff rear hub into my Riese und Müller Load 60, and I feel like I am having problems with my chainline. The bike has a gen 2 Performance Line CX motor. Did anyone else run into any problems with the Rohloff cog not aligning with the Bosch sprocket? The Rohloff chainline cannot be altered, so I had to move the Bosch sprocket almost 5 millimeters farther out from the centerline of the bike. As I didn't have any spacers at hand to install under the sprocket, I achieved this by adding washers under the three large screws holding the motor in place. This has worked okay for a few months, but now the motor started "squeaking" (it is not the moving parts of the motor squekaing, but the mounting of the motor to the frame and/or the two smaller torx head screws connecting the metal bracket on the left side (under the plastic cover) to the cast body of the motor, which also had to have the same amount of spacers installed), and since I have since had a couple of sprocket spacers made, I am about to remove the washers I installed, and just move the sprocket outwards.

Has anyone ran into a similar problem?
Does anyone know if I can put 5 millimeters worth of spacers under the sprocket, and if it will still work? (I will try of course, I am just curious what others think.)
Does anyone happen to know if the Performance CX has an "official chainline measurement"?

Thanks!

Zoltán

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles