Anyone removed the Trek Rail Battery Lock?

Scott76308

Apr 24, 2023
Texas
the cutout would be easy to add. But I'm not sure, if it's required and it will for sure limit the stiffness.
Compared to the original design with standard nut, I've change to the one with a flange. I would not trust a M5 thread directly in the 3D print. Based on feedback, I've also adjusted the mount to the battery. This will allow some up/down adjustment. And I've changed the Print direction.

View attachment 113193
Now that I think about it I don't see how it would work without the cutout. Have you made any that testers are using without the cutout? The reason I say that is because you have to stick the top of the battery in first and be able to pull it out far enough that the cover can go on the outside of the frame and then put the bottom in. If you can't pull it out far enough for the cover to go on the outside of the frame I don't see how it can work but maybe it'll just barely squeeze by without the cutout.

RolfRapRap

Mar 27, 2023
Switzerland
I'm pretty sure they are all aluminum. I have a 9.7 with a carbon front frame and my battery cover is definitely aluminum and it feels fairly heavy. It has long aluminum rails running down each side that run into the battery grooves. I thought I read somewhere that it is about 400 grams, almost a pound!! Seems like a good place to drop some unnecessary weight.
Moving to a 3 part 3D printed version of the Battery Cover removed 300 grams
IMG_0646.jpeg
IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg
IMG_0649.jpeg

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Can you print a cover?? I would really like one of those. I have an idea how to do it. I got the idea from a guy on YouTube. His Rail is 19.11 Kg! He made a carbon cover and just used Velcro. To me the best solution would be to add a little step at the front edge that would go inside the frame in the front only. At the bottom edge or just near the bottom a flat area that would set adjacent to the battery surface and just add a small piece of Velcro. Just need a small nylon strap hanging out at the bottom to grab onto to pull it off or a small slot at the bottom to pry it off.
Yes, i just completed my printed cover, thankfully i have a large printer so can print in just two sections, i printed it in Carbon, but for good measure also applied a carbon wrap purely for aesthetics. Came out nice. Saved 400g (ish)

20230501_200505.jpg

Last edited:

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
ah good point, in reality the added weight of the new cover went back on, so bit less than 400 in reality. Not actually weighed the new carbon cover. 'bugger all' isn't really a scientific measure :)

Scott76308

Apr 24, 2023
Texas
Screenshot_20230515-131353-034.png
I was going to remove this stuff but these 2 bolts are hard to get to. I don't want to bend the long strap so I can reinstall later when I sell the bike. Can these be accessed by removing the bash guard or what? Do you have to drop the motor? Thanks

Marper

Sep 20, 2023
Poland
Hi, I am so happy that I found this topic!
I would love to loose some weight from my Trek Rail 9.8 and change the battery from 750 to 500, maybe get rid of the lock. I have couple of questions so maybe you can help me.
1. Does the bosch smart system require any software changes to swap those batteries or it is just 'plug and play'?
2. Is there any chance to attach the battery cover to the adapter? Did you try to make a 3D print which can be a whole kit itself (adapter with cover, bracket) ?

Greetings from Poland!

Scott76308

Apr 24, 2023
Texas
I would love to loose some weight from my Trek Rail 9.8 and change the battery from 750 to 500, maybe get rid of the lock. I have couple of questions so maybe you can help me.
1. Does the bosch smart system require any software changes to swap those batteries or it is just 'plug and play'?
2. Is there any chance to attach the battery cover to the adapter? Did you try to make a 3D print which can be a whole kit itself (adapter with cover, bracket) ?

Greetings from Poland!
RolfRapRap,( look above) can hook you up. I bought a 625 mount and a 500 mount and 2 printed covers. He put a lot of effort in creating a good system and is very knowledgeable.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA

Greetings from Poland!
1) To my knowledge the PCB in the smart motor should recognize any of the smart batteries. Just make sure you purchase a 500w smart battery (BOSCH P/N: EB12.100.018) so the power plug / cables will work. Full disclosure, I have not tried doing what you are proposing, and I am in the US so part numbers might be different.

2) It might be possible to stack two adapters (Trek P/N W582323) to fit a 500w battery in a 750w cover?

Everyone wants a bigger battery. Smaller usually has been a cost-saving measure by Trek, a restriction for the small size frame that can't fit the 750w battery, or using an extra battery as a spare. I totally understand your intention to save weight, I have done some odd and extreme things over the last 30 years.

In terms of doing long back country rides I like the idea of carrying a 500w battery in a backpack that would fit the 750w slot so let us know if it works.

RolfRapRap

Mar 27, 2023
Switzerland
Thank you @Scott76308 ! @RolfRapRap is there any chance to buy the kit from you? I believe I found your models at Printables but the files are no longer available.
Hello - please find an overview and mounting guide here. These are available on Ebay

I do have a Battery Lock Removal Bracket for 625 and 750 Smart Batteries, as well as the standard batteries plus a 500 mount in a 625 frame. I could create one to mount the 500 or 625 in a 750 Frame - but unfortunately I cannot provide an option for the Cover as the Battery Design changed for the Smart Batteries.

Last edited:

Topax'82

Feb 1, 2024
Italy
View attachment 114679 I was going to remove this stuff but these 2 bolts are hard to get to. I don't want to bend the long strap so I can reinstall later when I sell the bike. Can these be accessed by removing the bash guard or what? Do you have to drop the motor? Thanks
Hi, i'm working for this mod, anyone says the real weight of the Aligment plate on a Rail 750wh flow System, many thanks , i'm evaluating if is convenient or not to remove.
Regards

Topax'82

Feb 1, 2024
Italy
Hi Clarke , i had developped, but Is still during testing, the kit for Rail 9.8XT 750wh
Battery Cover 3D printed and Battery Mount/Dismounting without Key....if you are interested give me your Telegram contact, and i can sent you a video file.
When testing Is complete and kit Is validate i Will post here all result

IMG_20240303_135343.jpg

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Wife and I both have 2022 Trek Rail 5 (alloy). What we want to do is to replace the keyed lock with something simple like a hex key so that batteries can still be removed. Both Rails live in an unheated garage so batteries are kept inside during cold months.

Can't see anything on this thread like this but perhaps my eyes are fubared 😉

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
I’m not sure it’s compatible with your model, but Pole do a product like that?

Anyone used one on a Rail?

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I’m not sure it’s compatible with your model, but Pole do a product like that?

Anyone used one on a Rail?
The Trek RIB system uses proprietary end caps for the battery cover and doesn't use the powertube mounting plate. I doubt the Pole system would work with the stock cover if at all. If it did work and eliminated the rattle, that would be great.

I like the security of RIB on my commuter bike, on the Rail it's a disaster.

Clarke

Oct 26, 2023
Bedfordshire
I wonder if there is enough interest for another group buy of the lock delete mod?

I assume that those have done this have eliminated any power cut issues?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I wonder if there is enough interest for another group buy of the lock delete mod?

I assume that those have done this have eliminated any power cut issues?
I don't believe the member that was making them is doing anymore..

Also power cuts will not be solved by removing the lock, take your bike back to the dealer and get the battery mount / RIB system fitted correctly. More here Rail (750Wh) - Trek Rail 9.8 xt gen 3 and rib issues

Or just search RIB inside the trek area of the forum.

Clarke

Oct 26, 2023
Bedfordshire
I don't believe the member that was making them is doing anymore..

Also power cuts will not be solved by removing the lock, take your bike back to the dealer and get the battery mount / RIB system fitted correctly. More here Rail (750Wh) - Trek Rail 9.8 xt gen 3 and rib issues

Or just search RIB inside the trek area of the forum.
My bike is a brand new 9.8 and it cut out 9 times on the first ride! I assume it has all the fixes included (pic below) but yes I will be taking it back to Trek. Thanks.

IMG_8508.jpeg

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
My bike is a brand new 9.8 and it cut out 9 times on the first ride! I assume it has all the fixes included (pic below) but yes I will be taking it back to Trek. Thanks.
You’ve obviously got a major problem with the RIB setup. For what it’s worth I have a Gen 3 9.8XT over 18 months and 2700km of riding and never had 1 disconnect

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA

View attachment 137773
You could also add the "bosch powertube damper plate", search under the Bosch section of this forum.
No disconnect problems with my rail 9.8xt, but one of three friends with 9.8 have same issues as you. My rail 7 disconnects occasionally. I am in the middle of replacing the male battery plug (lot of wear after 2.5 years) and installing the rib alignment plate.

SandroRiz

Sep 6, 2022
Italy
I have last year a month of nightmare with several disconnection; changed battery, cables, connections, etc.
A the end with found the guilty... the Kiox plastic holder !!
sometimes is enough to open and spray a clean contact product, but I had to change mine (my reseller gave me free) to eliminate the problem
Indeed I washed the bike (and spray the muc-off bike protector) WITHOUT the kiox and it is worse; now I leave it on and I pay attention when I spray some substance.

PS the bosch plate damper, costing a couple of euros, worth the purchase (see my blog post; autotranslation by google)

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles