Anyone have a spare Yari?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
I sawpped out my Yari for a Lyrik ulti and love it. The offset on it is 42mm and wanted to go back to 44mm but don't have my Yari anymore to swap out the lowers. Anyone have a spare Yari they'd be willing to let go?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
you can buy the uppers separately?
You can buy every part separately.
A YARI/LYRIK CSU (the uppers) costs £340.
Lowers aren't far off £300 too
So it's a pretty stupid idea to buy either when full Yaris are regularly on sale at bargain prices (often under £300).

it's not worth bothering with for a 2mm difference in offset unless you're already the level of rider who is paid to ride them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Increasing offset from 42mm to 44mm has the same effect as reducing the "trail" dimension which will make the bike less stable (or more responsive - whatever floats your boat).

Another way to reduce trail is to increase the head angle.

Maybe an adjustable angle head set will work for you.

You will need to do some sums or draw it out to see what will work for you. I have never used an adjustable head set so I am out of ideas as to where to go from here.

I found the following link on the topic very helpful.

What Is Fork Offset? And Why Does It Matter? | Singletrack Magazine

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Increasing offset from 42mm to 44mm has the same effect as reducing the "trail" dimension which will make the bike less stable (or more responsive - whatever floats your boat).

Another way to reduce trail is to increase the head angle.

Maybe an adjustable angle head set will work for you.

You will need to do some sums or draw it out to see what will work for you. I have never used an adjustable head set so I am out of ideas as to where to go from here.

I found the following link on the topic very helpful.

What Is Fork Offset? And Why Does It Matter? | Singletrack Magazine

I had a angle headset on my old Iron Horse 6point and it worked well with that bike.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I sawpped out my Yari for a Lyrik ulti and love it. The offset on it is 42mm and wanted to go back to 44mm but don't have my Yari anymore to swap out the lowers. Anyone have a spare Yari they'd be willing to let go?
I ordered a Decoy Base 29 a few days ago and plan to pull the Yari off before the bike even hits dirt. (Assuming I can get a replacement fork by the time the bike shows up). Message me an offer and I’ll be happy to sell it to you if we can agree on a fair price.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I would say that you must be an extremely skilled rider if you can feel the 2 mm difference in offset ;)

The majority cannot even feel the difference between a 42 and 51 mm offset fork..... Including me?

Karsten

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I think you can notice the change in offset, but I also think it depends on the bike in question, and also on how hard you push the bike. I swapped out my Lyrics and went with a 46mm offset on the new works, with the originals being 42mm, and you could feel the difference in how the bike turned, the best way I could describe is that it takes slightly less effort to get the bike over. Its subtle but if you have spent a lot of time on one fork, and then switch offset you will notice it, but obviously there was a bigger gap in offset between my two forks than 2mm.

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
Personally I think you can notice the change in offset, but I also think it depends on the bike in question, and also on how hard you push the bike. I swapped out my Lyrics and went with a 46mm offset on the new works, with the originals being 42mm, and you could feel the difference in how the bike turned, the best way I could describe is that it takes slightly less effort to get the bike over. Its subtle but if you have spent a lot of time on one fork, and then switch offset you will notice it, but obviously there was a bigger gap in offset between my two forks than 2mm.

Or you simply ran one fork with slightly more pressure than the other. Or you pumped them the same but one day was warmer than the other. These factors affects the forks dynamic ride height which in turn affect the almighty “trail” figure that is affecting the turn in you are describing. So a cheaper solution than replacing 44mm to 42mm offset is to add 1 psi to the fork LOL ?.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Or you simply ran one fork with slightly more pressure than the other. Or you pumped them the same but one day was warmer than the other. These factors affects the forks dynamic ride height which in turn affect the almighty “trail” figure that is affecting the turn in you are describing. So a cheaper solution than replacing 44mm to 42mm offset is to add 1 psi to the fork LOL ?.

Or maybe I am a good enough rider to notice even minor differences to my set up ;)

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
been away from my computer to really respond. It's not that I am a pro rider and can feel the proverbial "pea in the mattress". Something is slightly off on my front end and I am just wanting to check all the boxes that is all.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
been away from my computer to really respond. It's not that I am a pro rider and can feel the proverbial "pea in the mattress". Something is slightly off on my front end and I am just wanting to check all the boxes that is all.
So you want to buy my stock Yari?

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Any chance the Lyric was a 170mm????

If not, is your Lyric a new 2021? If it's the same travel, then you might be experiencing the tweaked 2021 air piston. This tweak has the fork sit higher in it's travel from the get go. So, things could "feel" different.

A 2mm offset difference is not something you notice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles