Rail (625Wh) Anyone fit a Meg Neg on Rail 9.7 with conventional mount ?

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Has anyone fit a Meg Neg on a Trail Rail 9.7 with ie. RS Deluxe with conventional mount ie. no trunnion or thrushaft, trying to figure out if it will fit. In the alternative can anyone put calipers on their Meg neg from a thrushaft bike so I can determine how much bigger its max diameter is than stock air can.

Thanks,

V

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
I believe a megneg should be able to help bigger but not the biggest guys that decide to take flight land more gracefully. It was explained to me that running more negative air pressure with the MN allows you to run higher positive air pressure while retaining the same suppleness off the top and sag height as lower positive air pressure would have without the megneg. Using a meg neg allows one to add more air pressure resulting in additional support through the whole stroke and allowing one to still tune the end stroke progression with more tokens if need be.

Two issues still need to be worked out: 1) Will the bigger Megneg air can fit on your bike with your shock or will it hit the downtube. 2) Will the additional 20% or so of air pressure you can run with the megneg put you over the max pressure for your shock. My my 2021 Deluxe Select + Rockshox list max pressure as 325 psi.

V
Contemplating a MN too. Wondering if they are mainly useful for lighter weight riders? I'm not light and like jumping...

Last edited:

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I installed one on my 2021 XL Rail 5, no fitment issues. I did notice that at first it lost air, and I check the pressure before every ride, but that seems to have more or less abated.

I'm 220-225 depending on what I'm carrying, at 62 not terribly aggressive, and do not (yet) have a sophisticated feel for suspensions, having not ridden any other modern bike (my other FS bike is a '95 Cannondale Super-V), I pump it to ~310 or so, figure a few psi lost when detaching pump. As far as volume reducers in the can and MN went with whatever the recommended starting point is and have left it there, definitely feels more supple/soft at the top, on any given ride I'm still pushing the o-ring about the same distance down the shaft, which is to say most of the way.

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
I installed one on my 2021 XL Rail 5, no fitment issues. I did notice that at first it lost air, and I check the pressure before every ride, but that seems to have more or less abated.

I'm 220-225 depending on what I'm carrying, at 62 not terribly aggressive, and do not (yet) have a sophisticated feel for suspensions, having not ridden any other modern bike (my other FS bike is a '95 Cannondale Super-V), I pump it to ~310 or so, figure a few psi lost when detaching pump. As far as volume reducers in the can and MN went with whatever the recommended starting point is and have left it there, definitely feels more supple/soft at the top, on any given ride I'm still pushing the o-ring about the same distance down the shaft, which is to say most of the way.
Thanks for the feedback

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I'm 79kg. Fitted a Megneg to my 2022 Rail 5, RS Deluxe Select +

Worked fine but did lose air. Changing the Shrader valve fixed it.

IIRC put in 220-230 psi

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles