Anyone done back to back with different bikes and noticed...

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
In the household we have two 2020 ebikes (Giant Trance and Liv Intrigue). Same motor (the Pro) with same software and hardware versions as reported by the app but in SmartAssist (Auto) mode they don’t feel the same power wise.

I hadn’t ridden the Liv much in the past because, well, why would I ? - but as I been playing around with the forks (the Rockshox Gold 35 are really sticky and the worst part of the bike IMHO) - I rode it down the street to try it out. Frame sizes are significantly different which also hasn’t encouraged me.

Thing is, in SmartAssist, it is way more reactive to pedal input than my Trance. Mine seems to start off in Eco, but hers gives more assist straight away. So, why ? Is there some calibration that can be done ? I did test them both out a few times, same conclusion. Weird.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
Have you tuned your assist levels down at all (or have the Liv's levels been increased)? I have lowered the assistance in Eco and Eco+ and find SmartAssist to be quite jerky as it changes from the tuned down lower levels up to the default upper levels.
Regarding the Rockshox Gold 35 fork, my Trance E+ 3 has the same and it is indeed the weakest link on the bike but I find the stickyness is reduced by backing off the rebound damping.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Have you tuned your assist levels down at all (or have the Liv's levels been increased)? I have lowered the assistance in Eco and Eco+ and find SmartAssist to be quite jerky as it changes from the tuned down lower levels up to the default upper levels.
Regarding the Rockshox Gold 35 fork, my Trance E+ 3 has the same and it is indeed the weakest link on the bike but I find the stickyness is reduced by backing off the rebound damping.

Assist levels in the app are exactly the same.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I've got the 2019 trance mine came with suntour aion which most said wasn't very good tbh standard it isn't but I've changed the damper which made a difference but the biggest difference was using some silicon spray on the stanchions it helped the striction loads muc off do it or loads of others just don't get it on your disks oh on a side note I think your brakes are same as mine tektro Orion 4p I've just changed the pads for some gorilla semi metallic ones what a difference loads more power and cheap there based in Kendal was Gona change the brakes but I'm not now that's how much difference it's made ? hope that helps ?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I notice my motor varies responsiveness in smart assist depending on my suspension set up - slower to respond if the bike is nose down. I assume it relates to inclinometer settings? Interestingly, after a while the bike seems to adapt / learn the new setting - especially if I play on some steep / tight terrain . Either that, or I learn to live with it?

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Hi I've got the 2019 trance mine came with suntour aion which most said wasn't very good tbh standard it isn't but I've changed the damper which made a difference but the biggest difference was using some silicon spray on the stanchions it helped the striction loads muc off do it or loads of others just don't get it on your disks oh on a side note I think your brakes are same as mine tektro Orion 4p I've just changed the pads for some gorilla semi metallic ones what a difference loads more power and cheap there based in Kendal was Gona change the brakes but I'm not now that's how much difference it's made ? hope that helps ?

I was just going to post using silicone spray too. Small trickle between the seal and fork. I also use on dirt bike. some firm compressions and it also helps draw any dirt out of the seals

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles