Anyone been to Epping Forest recently?

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
Just picked up my new bike and was thinking of going over to Epping Forest on Thursday or Friday and wondered if anyone has been lately can advise what the ground is like, can imagine the bridleways being quagmires but hoping that the trails in the woods would be ridable?

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Just picked up my new bike and was thinking of going over to Epping Forest on Thursday or Friday and wondered if anyone has been lately can advise what the ground is like, can imagine the bridleways being quagmires but hoping that the trails in the woods would be ridable?

@lolp can probably advise, I know he’s been there recently but as I understand its all still a bit sloppy...

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
Hi steve-a

I have ridden most weeks over there and as you say the bridleways are pretty muddy as indeed are many of the singletrack trails. Jump landings are often muddy skidpans and many trails are rideable but more technically challenging...but great fun. You just need to know which ones to go on. In general i'd say keep up the northern end of the forest (i.e. away from chingford/the connaught waters end) - there's a bit less mud there...if you choose the right trails!...but better to assume your gonna get caked in it even if you do choose the 'less muddy' trails.

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
Thanks Lolp, was planning to park the Epping / Coopersale side and amble around a bit, this will be my first time out on the bike, so doubt i will be getting any air, so not too bothered about landing, a gentle roll would be more likely :)

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
The carpark just down towards loughton on the a121....Golding's hill car park puts you in the thick of a lot of good trails both sides of that road.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
Yeah been over epping last few weeks and all over winter, cant be bothered with the singletrack until it drys out, the main paths are ok but full of hipster bipeds, so avoid weekends, as has been said northern end is better, up around claverhambury is ok, but really mostly its a mud fest.

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
I went over last Friday, not ridden over there before so did not know where to go really so just followed my nose. There was certainly some wet / muddy places but had a decent ride. Lot's of people about on the main / compacted tracks, will be a lot better when / if it dries up that's for sure. The drive home was interesting as well, as the mud stunk to high heaven and i could not feel my feet due to the cold!

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
I went out today with a mate and we had a great ride on mostly singletracks. Yes there are some areas of thick mud but only in patches and the trails are pretty good considering it's still the end of winter. To avoid the worst of it keep away from the low Connaught/chingford end of the forest.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
any decent features there, or is it mostly just forest footpaths?

Plenty there if you know where to look, mostly natural but some man made (or man helped) features too, including jumps, gaps, drop offs, stream crossings and lots of opportunity for technical climbs and downhills. Obviously there is lots of single track cross country too... We (@lolp and others) ride most weekends, either Saturday or Sunday morning and you're welcome to join us if you like - just let us know....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles