Anyone baught a new bike and bolts not correctly tightened

Funky Bolly

Nov 10, 2018
Newport wales
Last week was out and met chap with a day old Levo we rode for a mile and his bike cut out . I checked power lead was tight into the battery and I pulled it out to push back in and the battery fell out of frame ! The main bolt came lose and all that was holding battery in was power lead ! Not impressed with who ever sold him that bike !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, I've found bolts that were loose or became loose because they had not been Loctited (either a design problem or a manufacturing fault). But I've never had a something fall off because of it. I've come close though.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
When I took delivery of my Focus Jam2 and the missus' Focus Thron2, I checked the torque on all the bolts before the first ride. About a third of them weren't fully torqued to the required values. Having been back to the dealer a couple of times since, I see that he tends to tighten "by feel" instead of by calibrated torque wrench. In all honesty, I think that's pretty common :mad:

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
My jump bike arrived with the saddle on backwards, the bolts all loose, and the wrong length chain. The hose to the rear brake wasn’t connected and only one tyre had air.

But this was direct from the manufacturer, when they’ve come via a shop they’ve been perfect.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I once got a BMC from Evans which had been no where near a torque wrench its PDI, would have been bit of a death trap if I hadn't checked it over before riding it.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I check every bolt before the first ride and the first couple of rides plus an M check every 10 or so after that. About half my bikes have had at least one loose bolt from new.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles