Any TrailForks experts on line?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I recently discovered a few trails had been "decommissioned/closed" on TrailForks at the Forest of Dean in the UK. These are logged as "unsanctioned" but they are still within the Forestry Commission's land but outside of the remit of the Dean Trail builders group. My question is more about TrailForks and how it works. Who edits the trail information? Can anyone simply close/decommission a trail? What does that mean? I can still ride these trails and the Forestry Commission know nothing about this. I have checked with them.

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have ridden them and will continue to do so until such time that someone, with the authority, says I can't. Hence the post, I'm looking for an explanation.

fodmtb

Sep 4, 2018
Forest of Dean
Joe. Myself & the DTV are the trail fork admins for the FoD. Which tracks are you referring to ?

Any track outside cannop valley / sallow vallets is officially 'unsanctioned' .
I am working with the FE and the FoD cycle rangers on wild trail (off piste unofficial type trails ) topics going forwards. DM me if you want to discuss further.

Up to you what you want to ride. If it's not official it's 'unsanctioned' Thats all

Cheers
Paul

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I'd forgotten all about this but now I have your attention: How does an unsanctioned trail become open or closed? Who does the opening or closing? If it's unsanctioned why not just leave it as unsanctioned? If you are responsible for trails within the centre who is closing the ones outside?

I'm thinking about trails like Dowies and Shutcastle.

Al

fodmtb

Sep 4, 2018
Forest of Dean
I live very close to Ellwood so Doey's tracks are my backyard trails and he's my neighbour .

Today they and many others are classed as wild trails , tolerated because of minimal features, but in reality are still illegal on FE managed land. In an effort to keep the trails and stop them being lost/destroyed , some FoD wild trails have been removed to minimise their publicity and risk of closure . Same for strava. Ultimately removing them from trailfork is a price worth paying.

Alot of the local trail pixies put a-lot of effort into maintaining the unofficially trail networks, so have asked for them to be removed.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles