Any "Senior" mountain bikers around FOD

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Cards on the table. I'm crap but I only started, seriously, last year and I am 72. So is there anyone around who fancies pairing up for some rides in FOD?

I've started to go a little more off the beaten track and I'm conscious that if I have a fall I'm on my own. There is little doubt that this fact is inhibiting my progress. I followed 3 young ladies down Shutcastle yesterday and realised just how crap I am but in any case thanks very much girls, I may not have ridden the trail if you had not been there. I'm reasonably comfortable and confident on blues but a little shaky on many reds although I will attempt them.I like trails that are fast and flowy (for me that is). Shutcastle, Countdown etc. are perfect for me. Sheepskull, Ski run are just about doable but sloooooow with a few sections where I may have to get off the bike :mad:

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Cards on the table. I'm crap but I only started, seriously, last year and I am 72. So is there anyone around who fancies pairing up for some rides in FOD?

I've started to go a little more off the beaten track and I'm conscious that if I have a fall I'm on my own. There is little doubt that this fact is inhibiting my progress. I followed 3 young ladies down Shutcastle yesterday and realised just how crap I am but in any case thanks very much girls, I may not have ridden the trail if you had not been there. I'm reasonably comfortable and confident on blues but a little shaky on many reds although I will attempt them.I like trails that are fast and flowy (for me that is). Shutcastle, Countdown etc. are perfect for me. Sheepskull, Ski run are just about doable but sloooooow with a few sections where I may have to get off the bike :mad:

Al
Bump

fodmtb

Sep 4, 2018
Forest of Dean
Good for you getting out and enjoying the FoD. I'm not aware of any senior groups as you describe it but ask Gareth at Pedal. Im sure he knows a few locals groups.

Cheers

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I know what you mean about being on your own.

Have you considered coaching? This will then improve your confidence and hopefully reduce the likelihood of falling off.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Hope I have your attitude to new things at 72, sure you will find some riding buddies. ?
I've always been active and adventurous. I've been a mountaineer and rock climber for 55 years, it's just that lately I've lost my mojo especially for climbing in the UK. I did some mountain biking a few years ago, mostly x country type of stuff, and did enjoy it but the effort/reward ratio became too unbalanced. The short down hill was significantly outweighed by the uphill effort. As I got older this got worse so I packed in. Then I tried an e mountain bike and also discovered the advances that had been made with trail centres, not least of which was FOD. This combination sold it to me. I love the convenience these two advances offer me. Now I'm even thinking of upgrading to a more endura/downhill style bike. FOD is only 50 minutes drive for me so reasonably convenient and best of all free. I love the place.

Al

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
If you do have to ride off road on your own have a look at a Garmin Edge 130 - about £100. If you long press the power button (about 5 seconds I think) it will send an emergency message to 3 preset contact numbers. There is also live tracking I believe as well but that probably needs access to a 3g/4g signal. Other Garmins may have the same features but the 130 is a great little unit. Even works well, despite the tiny screen, with downloaded gpx routes through Garmin Connect. Just a bit more reassurance for riding off road on your own. I'm 71 and much prefer riding with someone else to give peace of mind but I do still venture off road on my own as long as I feel comfortable with the terrain. Enjoy yourself - ebikes are great because you can do routes from an OS map without having to worry too much about elevation.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
That's not a bad idea. I have a Garmin Edge Explorer. I think it has a similar feature. I do however like to ride FOD uncluttered but I may investigate further. Being comfortable with the terrain is key. I followed a route a few weeks back that was graded Blue on Trail Forks. I don't believe I rode a single metre of it and walked the whole way. Coincidentally a day or two later someone had updated that route and several others. It was now a Black double diamond and they will get no argument from me :) I also note that someone has changed all the "Dowies" routes to "Doeys". It makes one question the validity of such easily accessible software.

Al

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I mostly ride alone so I try not to take unnecessary risk. 70% fire roads/easy trails and 30% green/blue trails. I do ride red and black trails but I walk where I have to.

I have the Garmin 25, kiox, iPhone and iwatch. I mostly rely on the iwatch. The Strava and HealthFit apps work well. The iwatch has an impact sensor (which actually works, I know) and will call you, then your contacts if you don’t answer the phone call after a few minutes. My wife also tracks me on “Find my Friends “. Good/bad thing I guess.
Anyways, I’m worried that I could slow someone down while going down a trail. I would feel more comfortable if I rode with someone with similar skill. Mind you an emtb makes me fast uphill.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
How do this automatic emergency apps work. The phone signal in most parts of FOD is virtually none existent.

Al

The iWatch has motion sensors and can sometimes detect a fall or hard stop. If your worried about cell service in your area you can use other apps such as OverDue. It has maps, gps and informs others if you are late. I think you need to set it up before you begin a trek.

Oldmtber

Oct 9, 2019
Worcester

Al
Hey Al
I’m 76 now and visit the FoD fairly regularly although I don’t know it particularly well. I’m in the same position as you in that I’m reluctant to explore too much on my own due in part to lack of mobile signal in case of any emergency.
I’d be more than happy to meet up for a day out sometime.
Regards
Tony.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Hey Al
I’m 76 now and visit the FoD fairly regularly although I don’t know it particularly well. I’m in the same position as you in that I’m reluctant to explore too much on my own due in part to lack of mobile signal in case of any emergency.
I’d be more than happy to meet up for a day out sometime.
Regards
Tony.
Hi Tony. As soon as there is a decent forecast lets meet up, I'm not a big fan of mud and wet slippy roots :). I have explored somewhat and I know many of the lesser known trails. My problem is that I'm not getting the best out of them as I am inhibited when I am on my own. I've PM's you with my details.

Al

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
How do this automatic emergency apps work. The phone signal in most parts of FOD is virtually none existent.

Al
I seem to think that it requires a much lower signal level to send emegency texts even when there isn't an apparent voice strength signal. Something about text using data packet signals in small blocks, perhaps even using multiple networks. Someone more expert may be able to explain this better.
The Garmin 130 certainly isn't automatic, unlike some apps which can work with a text strength signal when there is a fall and no subsequent communication.
One thing you should consider downloading is What3words. Used by the emergency services to give a very precise location. Could be useful if a text was the only way of locating your position.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
As far as I’m aware the Incident Detection feature on my Garmin 530 is automatic once setup.

I think after 30sec of an incident it pings a message to your phone and gives you the option to cancel or it will automatically message your contact.

Im gonna go and set mine up now I’m thinking about it.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Found this...

1C21ECCD-4E51-4B4D-8B7F-9FE982CE56B9.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles