Any one changed their seat dropper?

Clarky860

Mar 19, 2020
Austria
Curious if anyone has changed/upgraded there seat dropper to one with longer travel and if so what did you go for and how easy was it to change? Thinking of possible changing mine so I can slam it down further. I've yet to measure how much room I have in the seat tube so not sure yet if its possible (Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 TM 18")

KB5

Apr 26, 2020
Seattle, WA
I have a similar question thinking about adding a dropper to my 2020 Cube Reaction Hybrid 45 EX 625. Would like to know if running internal cables through frame is a problem with the Bosch motor.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Just bought one, should be delivered later in the week, I can’t stand the OEM one. It’s 160mom long but I’ve gone for a 175 so I can drop it down further.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I dunno - I took both side covers off today to chase the dreaded motor mount creak (and am contemplating dropper as well but thought I'd have a look first). The covers are a pain to get back on and though I did not actually try to run a cable from the seat post tube, it looked to me like a motor drop job. (which may not be that much more work....).
I think I'll get the underseat lever type when they come back in stock. I really don't tackle terrain where I have to change seat height instantly - usually I drop the post at the trail head if I think I need to.
Cube Reaction Hybrid Eagle HT 2019.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I dunno - I took both side covers off today to chase the dreaded motor mount creak (and am contemplating dropper as well but thought I'd have a look first). The covers are a pain to get back on and though I did not actually try to run a cable from the seat post tube, it looked to me like a motor drop job. (which may not be that much more work....).
I think I'll get the underseat lever type when they come back in stock. I really don't tackle terrain where I have to change seat height instantly - usually I drop the post at the trail head if I think I need to.
Cube Reaction Hybrid Eagle HT 2019.

yeah the covers really are a pain to get back on. Just have to do it slowly with lots of squeezing on the covers to line up the holes so the screws can go in easily. I found it easier to do with bike upside down.

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
I have the 160 TM as well, the seatpost is about the only real weakness for me, it has so much play compared to others i've used, i'll live with it for a while though, it does the main job alright, but looking at it if i do replace, it doesn't look too difficult, i'd go for a 150mm KS or Transfer, which would fit the frame and as there is a full cable outer from the bar to the seattube, it means i just have to replace the cable and feed it through, or even just leave the cube lever on and just replace the seatpost and make it a cheaper job!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
It's definitely on my mind too. A few times on particularly gnarly sections I have struggled to get my feet onto the floor and thought my seat was still up.... but it wasn't. :eek:

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
2020 models understood it´s more easy. Prior models more pain in the a$$ as I was told.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
We've just bought an Access Hybrid Ex 500 for my wife plus a dropper post, so I might be trying to fit this tomorrow.
How do I get the cable out the top end to the spare light cable hole? Tape it to existing brake cable and pull through?

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I had the OEM one on my 2018 Stereo Hybrid Pro. I changed it for a Fox transfer, not so much for the travel, but for the ease, speed and smoothness of a better quality dropper. With the dropper getting covered in crap, being in line with the back wheel, I think that it's an area where it's worth spending the money for better quality.

That said, after one year my Fox dropper needs servicing as it's getting sticky and I've added a MudHugger back mudguard to keep the crap off it.

Regarding routing the cable, for me it was fairly simple, though I stripped one of the bolt holes on the motor by not taking enough care when reattaching the motor covers.

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
Looks like many have considered replacing it but has anyone? Is it the post that's the problem or the trigger? It's tough to tell since my trigger gets stuck and I have to pull it back. Also, if replacing, is there a way fish the wires through or do you have to take out the motor etc to run for the new trigger wire? Thanks

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
Looks like many have considered replacing it but has anyone? Is it the post that's the problem or the trigger? It's tough to tell since my trigger gets stuck and I have to pull it back. Also, if replacing, is there a way fish the wires through or do you have to take out the motor etc to run for the new trigger wire? Thanks
I changed mine to a PRO Koryak Dropper Post 170mm, see result here:

This was mainly to have more travel (+50mm), I also got the original lever stuck a few times.
For the assembly it's easier to take out the motor to see inside the frame and route the cable if you need to exchange it. That's quite simple: 6 torx screws and three connectors. It's also a good opportunity to clean the motor casing and the inner of the frame between saddle and the motor (mine was full of dirt). I re-used the wire tube but replaced the wire.

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
Much easier to change than my Merida 900e was, I would highly recommend the oneup dropper with wolftooth remote (I've had one on my Hightower LT, Merida 900e and Specialized Enduro). My cube was running one for a while as well but I've now swapped to and AXS dropper because I like the cleaner look.

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
Hello,

Not sure if it is a bad thing reviving this topic, but I got a broken dropper that I need to replace in a Cube Stereo Hybrid 2019. And need to replace a dropper in a Cube Stereo Hybrid of 2022.

Anyone any experience? Lessons learned? Maybe a good reference to a video? Found some but not in particular to the Cube stealth frames.

For the 2019 one, it is replacing an existing dropper with the same dropper. Can I just reuse the entire wiring?

For the 2022 an larger dropper is required. Can I reuse the outer cable?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
In answer to your first question, most likely yes. I replaced the inner cable with a new one, and squirted a bit of wd40 down the cable to help lubricate it.
For the second question, I would also say yes as that was what I did when I changed to the PNW 200mm dropper post.

Last edited:

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I changed mine on a 2021 Stereo 140 and I could have used the existing outer cable but whoever installed smashed it in and there was lots of kinks so impossible to insert a new inner cable (and was the cause of stiff lever actuation most likely. Replaced the inner/ outer and new dropper installed. Cube dropper failed within 6 months and cartridge is non serviceable. Got one on warranty but replaced with a Brand X Ascend 150mm Dropper. If you can use the existing outer as the routing is tricky around the motor to the dropper

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
I changed mine on a 2021 Stereo 140 and I could have used the existing outer cable but whoever installed smashed it in and there was lots of kinks so impossible to insert a new inner cable (and was the cause of stiff lever actuation most likely. Replaced the inner/ outer and new dropper installed. Cube dropper failed within 6 months and cartridge is non serviceable. Got one on warranty but replaced with a Brand X Ascend 150mm Dropper. If you can use the existing outer as the routing is tricky around the motor to the dropper

Thanks mate! Did you have to remove the motor/shields? Or what was your approach?

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
In answer to your first question, most likely yes. I replaced the inner cable with a new one, and squirted a bit of wd40 down the cable to help lubricate it.
For the second question, I would also say yes as that was what I when I changed to the PNW cable.

Thanks for that, thats reassuring :)

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Thanks mate! Did you have to remove the motor/shields? Or what was your approach?
TBH, I just winged it but I was an aerospace engineer so this stuff does not bother me. I didn’t take the motor all the way out, just tilted it to get access. Dropped the battery cage to access the plastic holder for all the outer cables (they run in a plastic channeled holder behind the cage. Took off the plastic feed through at the head tube. Used a cable routing tool to feed it in through the frame as it was a little more robust then forcing the outer itself around the kinks in the frame/motor.

marse

Jul 12, 2022
Finland
I just swapped my dropper to Reverb C1 175mm and I did some extra work so here is some help to get it right from first try with minimum effort.

1. Open the frame upper cable seal and keep one screw in all the time in the counter part, that is hard to get back in place if it drops on the frame.

2. Take that old cable half way out, it is routed through the back channel of plastic cable router that is behind the battery.

3. Insert new cable from the seat tube side. Use old cable to help new one come through frame and inset cable seals to new cable.

4 Back channels have no easy access so I put the new cable on the first channel that is open from the front side of cover. If you do it this way, you don't have to remove the battery holder, cable just snaps to the cable cover.

Cube Channel.jpg

Cube outer route.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles