Any Jam2 6.8 Cleaning Tips?

Tom.S92

Nov 22, 2021
North Wales
Hi guys,

Recently got myself a 2020 Jam2 6.8 Nine and annoyingly I've seen you can't remove the battery without removing the motor and possibly voiding the warranty.

I don't really want to get the battery wet if it can be helped so does anyone have any tips when cleaning or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Hi guys,

Recently got myself a 2020 Jam2 6.8 Nine and annoyingly I've seen you can't remove the battery without removing the motor and possibly voiding the warranty.

I don't really want to get the battery wet if it can be helped so does anyone have any tips when cleaning or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks.
I used waterless car polish. Mucoff now do a waterless product for ebikes

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I must be doing something wrong, since the battery from my 2020 Jam2 6.8 is currently sat on the shelf in my dining room, being kept out of the cold.

qNxog0Sk.jpg large.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I seem to remember that in 2020/21 Focus sold the gen 1 Jam 2, with the Shimano motor and (fixed) 378 wh battery, alongside the gen 2 which has the Bosch motor and (removable) 625 wh battery.
The USP of the gen 1 is its light weight which makes it easy to handle and ride. The gen 2, in the meantime, got very lardy.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Keep the hose pointed away from the top tube/power switch and especially the hole in the front where all the wires/cables enter the frame.

I did used to give the frame a light hose off but didn't realise the charging port underneath was getting wet and corroding a bit giving occasional charging problems.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Keep the hose pointed away from the top tube/power switch and especially the hole in the front where all the wires/cables enter the frame.

I did used to give the frame a light hose off but didn't realise the charging port underneath was getting wet and corroding a bit giving occasional charging problems.

When my gen 1 Jam2 is muddy I do use a hose on the frame but I avoid the motor and I have always covered the charge point with waterproof tape.
I use a low powered jet wash (Karcher's smallest) on the tyres and wheels, avoiding the bearings.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Dont know a bout the Jam specifly but in general it is best to avoid using water where possible and a lot depends on where you ride. Definitely avoid using a hose or pressure washer. If like me you are lucky enough to ride forest trails with sandy loamy soil you can just let the bike dry off after a ride and brush the majority of the dirt off using a combination of soft bristle and hard bristle brushes. Then use a damp cloth followed by a towel and then a frame protector like silicon shine ( cover the rotors and callipers!). If your soil is clay/mud a bucket of warm water with a bit of car shampoo and a cloth is probably needed. If possible keep the bike in a warm environment after cleaning if you end up using water as part of the process.

Tom.S92

Nov 22, 2021
North Wales
If it's a 2020 model, as the OP states, then the battery is absolutely removable.

Yes I have a 2020 Jam2 with the Bosch 625wh. I just read online it wasn't possible to remove the battery without removing the motor.

When I use the key to remove the battery the top of the battery pops out but the bottom won't unlodge and I didn't want to force it. Does it take some convincing to remove?

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
The battery has a secondary plastic latch, the purpose of which is to stop it falling out of the frame when you release it with the key. You have to get a finger on the latch to release the battery fully.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
If you wash the bike with the battery removed, you will certainly put significant amounts of water inside the frame. With the battery installed, the frame is not waterproof but it will keep most out. My advice would be to wash it ideally with a bucket & sponge, a hosepipe if you must & never with a jetwasher, with the battery in place, keep water near the motor to a minimum & then remove the battery to encourage air flow around the inside of the frame.

There are only three wired connections to a Bosch Gen 4 motor & they are well protected from water. The spendy risk is getting water into the motor itself. You don't want that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles