• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Another Tyre Choice?

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
So I have damaged the rear tyre on my Whyte E160rs v2, its slightly "out of shape" You cant actually tell while riding but I want to replace it anyway. I have always just replaced like for like, The e160 currently has its original MAXXIS tyres on, I have been looking at the Magic Mary's and Big Bettys just to do a straight swap of both tyres and change from Maxxis, but there is so many choices..... also the Big Betty states good in dry to damp from conditions. Well UK wet is mostly our conditions, can anyone shed any help on this and what to go for, I do enduro events, and a lot of single track and ride Hamsterley, FoD and dalby a lot as well. Does any have any recommendations, I am not bothered about range and saving battery as much but obviously every little does help.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I’ve been running a Magic Mary front and big Betty rear for a few months now. Perfect for winter slop. Mary 2.6 in orange ‘soft’ compound is pretty much the perfect winter tyre for where I ride in the FoD. Which is only off piste stuff. The Betty has decent side knobs and very good for traction both climbing and braking. I run supertrail and Orange soft compound on both, with an insert in the rear. In the summer I will be switching to Assegai front Dissector rear.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
I’ve been running a Magic Mary front and big Betty rear for a few months now. Perfect for winter slop. Mary 2.6 in orange ‘soft’ compound is pretty much the perfect winter tyre for where I ride in the FoD. Which is only off piste stuff. The Betty has decent side knobs and very good for traction both climbing and braking. I run supertrail and Orange soft compound on both, with an insert in the rear. In the summer I will be switching to Assegai front Dissector rear.
I have an Assigai up front now and like it, with a DHR on the rear, is there a reason why you will change in the summer?

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Yeah, I find the Assegai packs up too quickly with mud in the winter months. Certainly in the Forest, I just don’t think it performs as well in our winter slop. But in the drier months it is much better. Either that or places which aren’t just mud and roots! So for me Schwable set up in the winter Maxxis in the summer. I find the Assegai and Dissector is a faster rolling combo. So better to run those for as long as I can. But it’s a struggle hear with them on our off piste muck

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Agree that the Assegai Exo+ Maxx Terra up front in all but proper winter, when I'll run a Shorty DD Maxx Grip paired with a WTB Judge Tough Fast on the rear. Summer rear would be an Aggressor or High Roller II, in a Double Down casing. I ride a lot of natural trails, where grip is at an absolute premium, as a pose to bike park/trail centre type stuff , where grip is plentiful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles