Another reluctant convert... but not really (lol)

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
TL/DR: Been ridiing regularly for over a decade (starting at 42). Rode XC for a couple of years, and that turned into more DH, and lately it's been a good mix of challenging trail riding (and less DH... it get's harder when you're over 50).

Anyway, last year, I rented a Giant Trance E and rode it through the tough trails of Mt Seymour (North Shore). I was really impressed with the bike (not it's ability to assist me on the way up, but how it was so easy to muscle over things that normally hang you up).

This year, with a good number of my riding pals on E-bikes now (I've counted over 2 dozen at this point), I started considering getting one but with the COVID premium, I couldn't find a suitable bike for the price range I was willing to pay. I looked at Bicycle Blue Book (where I bought my enduro bike) and found a Liv Intrigue at the price I wanted. After checking the specs and geo, it was IDENTICAL to the Trance I rode last year, so I reached out to the owner and bought it.

I did an initial ride yesterday and aside from the crap fork (35 Gold RL which I will replace soon), it was a great doing the gnar. The 4-piston brakes were adequate but I'm changing the pads to metallic for a stronger bite point. The only bummer was that the charger is defective and now I am dealing with Giant warranty for replacement, and obviously can't use the bike (the way it was intended) until the charger is replaced.

Probably going to be active in the Giant forum trying to sort this guy out. In the meantime, Hi and happy New Year everyone!

IMG_3501.jpg

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Enjoy! I ride the shore too, now you can do multiple laps up Old Buck ;). Did you buy it used? Giant/Liv warranty is not transferable so keep that in mind when you make warranty claims.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
I sort of debadged it to make the Liv look more inconspicuous . Also just bought a Pike 160 RCT3 so that should give me some suppleness.

The original owner is dealing with the warranty claim so that's good. My sister-in-law lives at the base of Mt Seymour and we're there every 4 years or so but that is the only mountain I've ridden there (not counting Whistler). CBC and Severed D!ck were rowdy trails... forget the other names but there were a couple above my pay grade (and I don't do skinnies). My stats last year:

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles