Another mtb bike theft ..with a happy ending..

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
"I ride a Specialized Enduro Comp 29er which I have owned for 7.5 years. It was one of the first 29ers to be made."

Considering the fact that 29"ers have been a thing since 1999 I find the above to be a bit disengenuous. Glad he got his bike back though.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Also he was on the canal not up at Rivington...

I don't ride along the canal... Don't see the point.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
"I ride a Specialized Enduro Comp 29er which I have owned for 7.5 years. It was one of the first 29ers to be made."

Considering the fact that 29"ers have been a thing since 1999 I find the above to be a bit disengenuous. Glad he got his bike back though.
..he didn't say that he had owned it from new ...

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
..he didn't say that he had owned it from new ...

There was no such thing as an Enduro comp back in 99' and in fact Enduro wasn't even a thing until much later. It took Specialized awhile like 02' or so to even come up with a 29"er. However they did end up winning a gold medal at the London Olympics with one in 2010.

Not trying to make a big deal of this I just happened to be around at that time and conscious of what was going down.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Be careful out there @Tonybro ...Rivington mentioned in this article
I think this is a click bait title. I read the article and and no point was it said "Get off the bike and I'll give you a hand job" - maybe if this approach had been taken, the thief would still have made off with the bike, but the owner would at least have been momentarily satisfied ? This approach might even have worked with @BAMBAMODA who's well known to not like any kind of thief.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
There was no such thing as an Enduro comp back in 99' and in fact Enduro wasn't even a thing until much later. It took Specialized awhile like 02' or so to even come up with a 29"er. However they did end up winning a gold medal at the London Olympics with one in 2010.

Not trying to make a big deal of this I just happened to be around at that time and conscious of what was going down.
London Olympics was in 2012 , this whole thread is nonsense 😂😂

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK

The first mainstream 29er was launched in 1991.

The specialized enduro was launched in 1999
You're sort of right about the 29 option on it though - that was 2013. The year after the 2012 london olympics.

This thread makes me glad I have lots of christmas booze in the house :D

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
If you are talking about the Diamond Back Overdrive it was only a 28"er with 45c Panaracer Smokes as it wasn't until the 52c WTB Nanoraptor was developed by Mark Slate and landed in the U.S. the spring of 99' that a 700c rim/tire combo measured out to 29"es.

Sorry I was off about the Olympic year and the Spec Enduro name thing. But I do know the history of the 29" wheel....and Geoff Apps wasn't a part of it although he dinked around a good bit on 28" wheels and only lacked the "tire". But so did others like Tom Ritchey, Gary Fisher, everybody in the Netherlands on their 28"ers and most notably Wes Williams who turned out to be the squeaky wheel that got the grease.

Enjoy your whiskey...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles