Analog MTB VS Light E-MTB

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Hello!

I own a full fat Turbo Levo and an analog (15+Kg) All Mountain MTB.

I am seriously thinking to swap my standard MTB with a light e-mtb. Reason: I would like to have a small assistance from the the motor but more or less the same playfulness of an analog bike.
The only doubt is if it is worth to get rid completely of the analog bike (I would be selling the frame and re-use parts).

Did anybody go this path? Any regret? Any reason to keep the analog?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Didn’t follow your path but swapped between my brothers Nukeproof Giga (base spec) and my custom KSL and the KSL (motor off) still rode/peddled better even with a 1.5kg deficit.
Something like a lightweight Levo SL build would be a great alternative to an analogue bike. You will most likely find it to be your weapon of choice!

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Yup my analogue has met the EBay cheap selling offer moment. But then I have an EZesty which you can remove the motor and battery, my analogue just wasn’t being used.

If you are going to go down the re-use the components route ( which I fully agree with ) then one of the number of DIY frames coming in at sub 20kg with a 750 Wh battery and the new Bafang M820 motor will make you wonder why you didn’t do this before.

One thing for sure you won’t really notice the additional weight and suddenly the uphills become as much fun as downhill. In fact I am starting to think the more technical uphill single track are more fun than the downhills.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Yup my analogue has met the EBay cheap selling offer moment. But then I have an EZesty which you can remove the motor and battery, my analogue just wasn’t being used.

If you are going to go down the re-use the components route ( which I fully agree with ) then one of the number of DIY frames coming in at sub 20kg with a 750 Wh battery and the new Bafang M820 motor will make you wonder why you didn’t do this before.

One thing for sure you won’t really notice the additional weight and suddenly the uphills become as much fun as downhill. In fact I am starting to think the more technical uphill single track are more fun than the downhills.
Thanks for your feedback.

Thing is that I have the Turbo Levo which is around 21Kg.
I would like to go much lower than that. In fact I was thinking at the Levo SL frameset (the old one). According to my calculation I should be able to complete the build at around 17Kg, which is not so far from my current. 15.2Kg of my AM bike.

Definitely I don't need a big battery and I prefer a light support just to have a bit of help in my short tours.

However I like the idea to explore the M820 option with small battery and a DIY frameset :) Actually I will have a look to this just now :D

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have an Orbea Rise & Nukeproof Mega not sure which is faster, mega has better suspension. The rise is more planted due to extra weight

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I would like to go much lower than that. In fact I was thinking at the Levo SL frameset (the old one). According to my calculation I should be able to complete the build at around 17Kg, which is not so far from my current. 15.2Kg of my AM bike.
Do it! That’s not far off in terms of weight difference.

And I agree with you, the Levo SL would be the one I’d looking at as well. Even the first gen as you mentioned.

I have an EXe which is not heavy at all. But my mind has started to think of ways I could get this bike to be even lighter… You’ll start from a lighter basis with the Levo SL.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Sorry but 17.5kgs is probably unrealistic unless you want to go 2.1“ tyres single speed and 32mm front forks. Aim for a more realistic 19kgs with pedals, tyre sealant, a comfortable saddle, seat post you know all the things that manufacturers don’t fit before they weigh their bikes.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Sorry but 17.5kgs is probably unrealistic unless you want to go 2.1“ tyres single speed and 32mm front forks. Aim for a more realistic 19kgs with pedals, tyre sealant, a comfortable saddle, seat post you know all the things that manufacturers don’t fit before they weigh their bikes.
I don't really think is unrealistic. Internet is plenty of builds with Levo SL Frameset at around 16.5Kg.
And BTW I am looking for a trail bike, so no need for big tyres and huge suspension travel ;)

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Impressed if they actually are sub 17kgs with all the usual trail paraphernalia attached.

From my usage, I seem to always for some reason use just more than the 320Wh battery that the Fazua has. I do a lot more climbing, circa 700 - 800m over a couple of hours on the EZesty, than when on the analogue 500 - 600m and I think that’s because if you see a climbing single track you haven’t ridden before, with just 120 - 200W’s extra, you seem to give it a go.

One thing for sure though, as soon as you ride with full fats, you will be on full power and will need the extra battery size.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
One thing for sure though, as soon as you ride with full fats, you will be on full power and will need the extra battery size.
Not in my case. That is why I am thinking to buy a light ebike as a replacement of the analogue MTB.

My full fat goes to turbo only when I am completely exhausted after a full day of climbing. And I decreased the levels of support both in Eco and Trail compared to how they come stock :) So at the moment I am using the FF mainly in very long trips especially on mountains. In my longest trip with elevation of about 1800mt I came home with an abundant 31% of the 700W battery :p

My point is that I was (an still partially am) unsure about getting rid of the standard MTB completely and have instead a light emtb. And I am curious to know if someone explored already the path I am thinking to take :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I had my old Gen 1 Levo SL at 18.5 kg with a full enduro set up.
17.5kgs is easily achievable while still having a solid trail/xc build

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I had my old Gen 1 Levo SL at 18.5 kg with a full enduro set up.
17.5kgs is easily achievable while still having a solid trail/xc build
Sure, always been impressed by the SL, nice bike. But the downside of the small battery and having to fit a water bottle battery ( add 1.5kgs ) to meet my lack of fitness demands over the 2 1/2 hour 700m routes I do, just didn’t quite over come the comfort of my 22.5 kg FF when fitted with its 500Wh battery and if you add in the SL’s almost obscene cost to save 3kgs, then as much as I liked it, it wasn’t for me.

The eventual lightweight I ended up with the EZesty came about as I bought it as a frame, using my own components I had sitting around and fitting with latest Ride 50, seems to bridge the gap nicely as as all rounder and the more I ride it, the more I like it. The ability to change battery on the route and even remove all the motor and battery is something more people should look at, the design was way ahead of it’s time and if it came onto the market now, it probably would sell more than Lapierre did when launched some 5 years ago.

Weight savings on the lightweights come at a very high premium in cost. Does a 1 -2 kilo lighter bike at an additional cost of say £3K, really warrant the tiny bit better riding quality when the 5kgs most of us are carrying in being over weight from enjoying oneself in the bar after, should be the first to be lost ?

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Absolutely, there’s one truth for everyone to believe in in the internet 😁. I hope that after the brainstorm stage of this dream lightweight build, folks begin to post the complete parts list and final weight of their builds.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Don't waste my time with Analog bikes since my 1st Levo I have never ridden another analog bike and never will, why would you. Maybe it's just me and my mates but none of them ride their analog bikes anymore although most still keep for some stupid reason planning to go out one day which never happens.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles