Amazon and bike parts

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I speed-read through most the article, but I understand what they're getting at. From a customer's perspective, though, Amazon is great. There's not a bike store on Earth that can have the product availability of Amazon, nor can the brick-and-mortar stores consistently match the prices available online.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I love the Amazon service (except Prime video, which is utter shit if you don't want in the local language), but buy anywhere else if I can unless Amazon is significantly cheaper (delivered price). I also buy in actual shops where possible.
Just doing my tiny, insignificant bit to avoid complete Amazon domination.
Plus they're crappy to their employees.

Last edited:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I had a pork pie and a crate of wine delivered to my office using Amazon Prime Now within an hour a few years ago, my team were well chuffed. Good times ?

Redbikejohn

Dec 25, 2019
High wycombe
Last time I went to my local bike shop they tried to sell me a used bottom bracket as new ... so yes I buy from amazon. 'This has been used' I said 'oh our mech fitted by error and took off again, he's an idiot '. Mmm the ingrained dirt on splines said otherwise.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I love the Amazon service (except Prime video, which is utter shit if you don't want in the local language), but buy anywhere else if I can unless Amazon is significantly cheaper (delivered price). I also buy in actual shops where possible.
Just doing my tiny, insignificant bit to avoid complete Amazon domination.
Plus they're crappy to their employees.
Dont believe everything you read about the way they treat staff..most of it is crap.
I was a "delivery associate " for a couple of years ..basically working the hours that I wanted..yeah they want their pound of flesh but the working environment is better than a lot of places ..

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Dont believe everything you read about the way they treat staff..most of it is crap.
I was a "delivery associate " for a couple of years ..basically working the hours that I wanted..yeah they want their pound of flesh but the working environment is better than a lot of places ..
Good to know. Did you have any interaction with the warehouse staff?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Meh. You can also interpret it as "we weren't prepared to step up to the level of shipping responsiveness that Amazon delivers". When I need a part, I usually need it ASAP. Buying through a shop sucks these days since they rarely have inventory, and the "double wait" if they order it (assuming the shop owner doesn't forget to order it) is a non-starter. And most OEMs really suck at logistics, so ordering direct is a crapshoot as to when stuff will ship/arrive. Amazon and other online retailers acting as inventory and logistics buffers helps mitigate this.

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
Meh. You can also interpret it as "we weren't prepared to step up to the level of shipping responsiveness that Amazon delivers". When I need a part, I usually need it ASAP. Buying through a shop sucks these days since they rarely have inventory, and the "double wait" if they order it (assuming the shop owner doesn't forget to order it) is a non-starter. And most OEMs really suck at logistics, so ordering direct is a crapshoot as to when stuff will ship/arrive. Amazon and other online retailers acting as inventory and logistics buffers helps mitigate this.

Or, they're imposing themselves into an existing value chain using cheap capital and taking a cut. As a business model it tends to either raise prices or destroy the suppliers. In reality, they take just enough to leave the host alive but weak :cool: I think we mostly all know or suspect what these business models are about, our view depends on if we're a consumer who can hold their nose or a an incumbent provider. The notion that these are disruptors shaking up incumbents is overused and tired out by now.

There's no doubt that Amazon have enabled some suppliers and manufacturers to develop good business but the jury must be out on whether it's a good thing or whether the societal costs are worth it.

I'd also guess that fragmentation of distributors isn't helping supply much, I'll bet there's a fair stock of sought after bike parts for example lying around in ones and twos on various shelves which are logistically out of reach of retail.

As you say, we can interpret it how we like, depends on your world view.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles