Levo Gen 2 Already Two Flats

JayMartin

May 26, 2021
Denver, CO USA
Hi,
I've already gotten two flats in the rear and plugged them both with tire worms. I'm running tubeless 11.5 psi front and 15 psi rear. To be expected? Or am I doing something wrong? Probably have only 300 miles on the bike.
Thanks,
Jay

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Agree with salko. I run 23 front 25 rear and the only flat I've had in many thousands of miles happened because I screwed up a drop, got off the trail into tall grass, and sideswiped a small rock that I didn't see in time. The rock cut the tire sidewall.

JayMartin

May 26, 2021
Denver, CO USA
Wow, that is way higher pressures than I'm running. Guess my thinking was with all the assist, rolling resistance wasn't that big a worry. I used to run low pressures on my dirt bikes with the Tubliss system, so thought I could get away with it on this. Interestingly, Stans wasn't able to fix either. I had to use a tire worm both times. Maybe it's time to try something other than Stans.
Thanks for the feedback,
Jay

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Assuming you are running 2.6 tyres? what tyres and what casings?
You might get away with those pressures on soft loamy surfaces with no rock but even then I doubt the tyres are able to avoid folding on corners or avoid complete compression on any jump/drop landing. I ride mostly on forest trails with loamy sandy soil which this time of year is pretty hardpack with a dusty top surface. I run 26r/24f in those conditions ( tubeless) . If the ground is wetter/softer I reduce to 22r/19f. Never had a puncture that Stans did not seal. With the warmer weather you need to be topping up sealant fairly regularly. Good practise to remove the wheels and give the a shake..if you cannot hear the sealant sloshing a bout then you need to top up.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Hi,
I've already gotten two flats in the rear and plugged them both with tire worms. I'm running tubeless 11.5 psi front and 15 psi rear. To be expected? Or am I doing something wrong? Probably have only 300 miles on the bike.
Thanks,
Jay

Are you running inserts (Cushcore, Tannis, etc.)? That seems absurdly low even with inserts. Are you actually getting snakebite-type punctures through your tires, or was there an obvious pokey intrusion that you can identify?

JayMartin

May 26, 2021
Denver, CO USA
I am still running what the bike came with, Specialized Butcher Grid Trail. They are 2.6. No inserts. Added another 1.5 oz of Stans just before the last flat. Our riding here in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado is sharp granite with very little moisture or roots. Both were punctures between knobs, neither a sidewall. The last one, I heard a "pop" as as if a knob broke loose off the side of a rock. The hole was right at the base of that knob.
Jay

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
May 15, 2020
Kent
Wow. Those pressures would feel flat anyway. Seem crazy low to me.

I run like 26 ish front 30ish rear and they feel like they want roll of the edge at times ??‍♂️

can’t imagine any more sealant makes much a difference either as it doesn’t have the pressure to seal any punctures???

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

I run like 26 ish front 30ish rear and they feel like they want roll of the edge at times ??‍♂️

can’t imagine any more sealant makes much a difference either as it doesn’t have the pressure to seal any punctures???
that last point is a good one.....I had never really thought about the tyre pressure forcing the sealant into a punture hole.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
May 15, 2020
Kent
that last point is a good one.....I had never really thought about the tyre pressure forcing the sealant into a punture hole.

velocity obviously helps. But need pressure to keep moving….

I recently had a massive tear in a tyre. Totally flat. But by the time I pushed the bike home it was hard to find the hole. It looked like mud the the knobs in the end where the sealant has set inside and out.

it wouldn’t have held pressure but surprised me how well it had sealed it considering.

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
Yep, these get set up with way more psi than your standard mtb and moto. Im in the higher range as well at like 25-28

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Yep, these get set up with way more psi than your standard mtb and moto. Im in the higher range as well at like 25-28

I don't know about Moto but is it really different from a standard bike? It's system weight, rider style and terrain. 4-6kg over an enduro bike is nothing compared to the weight difference in riders.

I ride 19 and 24. Not had a puncture in years. Add a couple extra for gravity trails. Every one is different.

Gordon

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
yea I usually ride 18-21 with regular mtb. Ride 25-28 on emtb and seem to be smashing tracks better than the lighter bikes.

On moto its 13psi.

JayMartin

May 26, 2021
Denver, CO USA
I appreciate all the comments. Yes, I was overly influenced from my moto days and running low psi. I know of a guy who would run his dirt bike at 0 psi in mud season using the Tubliss system.
My understanding now is to run (19) 20-23 front and 2-3.5 psi more in the rear. I'll switch up to that and try out different combinations in those ranges.
While not urgent, with two plugs in the rear, next up will be looking for a replacement tire. I bet that is a little like starting a thread on which oil should I use in a dirt bike forum. ;)
As a total aside, I tried riding my old analog Stumpjumper the other day and wondered the entire time what was wrong with it. Flat tires? Wheel bearings need greasing? These eMTBs spoil one for anything else.
Thanks again,
Jay

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
Yep. Same here. Went back to the analog bike thinking I would be a hero and ride further than ever before. It was gnarly.... it did not go as planned...

maxxis dhr in the rear. Maxxis dhf in the front.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I appreciate all the comments. Yes, I was overly influenced from my moto days and running low psi. I know of a guy who would run his dirt bike at 0 psi in mud season using the Tubliss system.
My understanding now is to run (19) 20-23 front and 2-3.5 psi more in the rear. I'll switch up to that and try out different combinations in those ranges.
While not urgent, with two plugs in the rear, next up will be looking for a replacement tire. I bet that is a little like starting a thread on which oil should I use in a dirt bike forum. ;)
As a total aside, I tried riding my old analog Stumpjumper the other day and wondered the entire time what was wrong with it. Flat tires? Wheel bearings need greasing? These eMTBs spoil one for anything else.
Thanks again,
Jay

If you want to run lower tire pressure, use Cushcore inserts. No flats and no dents. I use Maxxis Assegai on the front and DHR II on the rear at 20 psi on a mixture of steep rock slabs with rooty chutes and wooden structures. Specialized tires are sh!t on trails that require traction. Look at what any world cup racer is using.

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Did you check out the Specialized Suspension Calculator for your Levo?

This resource considered the bike, your height and weight, and calculates the suspension settings/pressures and tire pressure range for front and rear tires. I have run as low as 18 psi during the winter on packed snow with no problems. Not intentionally because the air temperature was -20C (-4F). This results in a drop in tire pressure when I take the bike outdoors. I will run the tire pressure around 20 psi this winter on packed snow, but I think 28 psi is best for spring/summer/fall riding on rocks, loose stone, gravel, loam and tree roots.

Jay E

Nov 24, 2020

Very good point. I don't ride tubeless because I ride mostly street at the moment since I have a broken leg that will never heal...(boo hoo) That said its pretty obvious now that you mention it that pressure and centrifugal force is what drives the fluid in the tire to the holes. When you are taking an inflated tire off a bike, you need to squeeze the tire as the pressure lessons to get the remaining air out of the tube so you have enough room to get the tire off the rim... That shows you how the pressure lessons with less air volume. This is where the child in me says Duh. :)

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
Took me a number of tires and setups to get it right. I was plagued by rear flats (some tread punctures, some torn sidewalls) and I was about to go with a cushcore when my Maxxis Minion DH did NOT hold up but I found Maxxis High Roller II 3C DD (Double Down.) I like them in a 2.3 and I'm running mullet on both my Levo and Kenevo. Yes they are expensive and heavy and hard to get on the rim at first but they are holding up well setup tubeless. 800-1000 miles without anything. I do run about 22 psi as well. Make sure you get the Double Down!

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I'm only 130 lbs (~ 59 kg) and running almost the exact tire pressure as you -- 12 psi front, 15 psi rear -- on a 2020 Turbo Levo medium with stock Specialized tires for 2 years now and have never had a flat. I also use Stans. If you're above my weight, I'd agree with others that you need to increase your tire pressure.

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
If you want to run lower tire pressure, use Cushcore inserts. No flats and no dents. I use Maxxis Assegai on the front and DHR II on the rear at 20 psi on a mixture of steep rock slabs with rooty chutes and wooden structures. Specialized tires are sh!t on trails that require traction. Look at what any world cup racer is using.

Agree overall for PSI, but if it's sidewall tears (which we get a lot here in CO,) the cushcore won't help that. That's the magic of a true Double Down (DD.) You pay in weight (though of course less on an ebike) and it's not as supple but it fends off the sidewall gashes unlike most of the others I have tried...which is a lot, including being let down with sidewall gashes with Minion DH tires (non-DD's.)

Now, for rolling a tire off the rim when cornering (which is easier I have found with the weight of an eBike,) the cushcore would also be good at preventing that from what I've heard. To me though, the DD's have been great and I'm happy with 22-24 psi and the stiffer sidewalls don't roll as much anyway. I am very curious about a cushcore, but that would be even more weight on top of the DD and not sure I'd gain much at this point. Maybe with a non-DD tire.

Jay E

Nov 24, 2020
Another tire related issue.... My buddy put 40 psi in his tires and the tire blew off the rim at a slow speed going up hill. It was about 80f out. He put a tube in and could not get the tire to stay on the rim at any tire pressure. Had to ride to his house and get another tire. This amazed me since I can barely get either of my stock turbo levo comp tires off the rim yet his was loose as hell. The bike shop gave him a new tire since his bike was just a month old and they couldn't explain it....

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I think weight has a lot to do with it. Its a matter of finding the lowest pressure that does not feel squirmy or unstable. For me (65k) I run 15 and 18, which is a lot lower than quite a few folk in their posts above. I've only had one puncture in over 3000k of riding and that was a rip in the sidewall of rear tyre, which was too big for sealant and I had to put an inner tube in there. I repaired the hole and still run the tyre with an inner tube as I could not get it to seal again - I think there was too much gunk on the rim and tyre edge. I'll go tubeless again when I get a new rear tyre.

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
22 front and 26 rear , and I'm 85 kg with gear. never a problem with punctures, my tires are 50% rubber 50% cactus spikes. ?
at least in my area, the oem tires are only rim protectors for when in the showroom. If you want to go ride in the rocks here, you need something beefier, I have maxxis assegai 2.5, dual compound in the rear, triple compound front.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Agree overall for PSI, but if it's sidewall tears (which we get a lot here in CO,) the cushcore won't help that. That's the magic of a true Double Down (DD.) You pay in weight (though of course less on an ebike) and it's not as supple but it fends off the sidewall gashes unlike most of the others I have tried...which is a lot, including being let down with sidewall gashes with Minion DH tires (non-DD's.)

Now, for rolling a tire off the rim when cornering (which is easier I have found with the weight of an eBike,) the cushcore would also be good at preventing that from what I've heard. To me though, the DD's have been great and I'm happy with 22-24 psi and the stiffer sidewalls don't roll as much anyway. I am very curious about a cushcore, but that would be even more weight on top of the DD and not sure I'd gain much at this point. Maybe with a non-DD tire.

I agree that Cushcore will probably not help with side wall tears if you are bouncing off sharp rocks and I would probably run a Minion DHR II 3C TR DD if I could find one for the rear but there is also some debate as to whether a more compliant tire with 120 TPI is less better at conforming to trail surfaces than a stiffer 60 TPI tire. YMMV depending on the conditions you ride on. We ride in loamy, rooty, rocky areas with big rock slabs which are pretty steep. The rocks here are not as sharp so side wall tears are not as common. I never care about the weight of my bike as performance is my primary focus.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I disagree, but only with the new Butcher Grid Trail T9 2.3. It has a surprisingly good grip even on wet roots and rocks. I use it on the front.
And very good damping, much better than Maxxis tyres.
VitalMTB has done long term review Specialized Butcher GRID TRAIL T9 Tire

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles