Aloha from Maui

OzzieB

Jun 10, 2020
Maui
Ozzie here. Just got my first emtb at the age of 66. I have been riding a Trek Top Fuel 8, but my old damaged knees have made it more difficult to climb steep hills. I bought a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp about six weeks ago and have about 300 miles on the bike. The best decision I have made in years. I can climb hills again so I am stoked. But yesterday, I was riding up a moderately steep hill in turbo mode when the bike started screaming like a police siren. I shut off the motor and the screaming stopped. I called the bike shop and they said that the motor is blown and that they would order me a new one. So the reason that I joined this forum is because I noticed that some members are having the same problem with their levo comps, i.e., their motors are blowing out after a relatively short period of time. I noticed that some members are suggesting that you may need to get the motor serviced on a regular basis. I am wondering if anyone has contacted Specialized to let them know that they have a problem with their motors or does anyone know whether Specialized is aware of the problem and trying fix it. The number of people with levo comp blown motors suggests that the motors are not reliable and maybe I should have purchased a Trek emtb. The only good news is that the bike has a two year warranty which presumably means that I can get a new free motor every time I blow a motor during the warranty period. But this really isn't good news and riding the bike now makes me a little nervous as I will wait for the next motor to blow.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Welcome, and sorry to hear about your problems - plenty on here about issues with the Brose motors, I am sure you will find a lot of info

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I haven't been around long enough to know all of the details, but I wonder if the Brose motors in general have this problem, or just the Mag S versions from Specialized. If it's just Specialized because they are overclocking them (so to speak) then it makes me wonder if I should limit peak power to 15amps or so like non-specialized versions do.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles