All New 2022 Trek Rail with SRAM Airwiz - First Look

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Thanks for review and update Rob. Personally, the 22’ Rail upgrades are not enough to abort my 20’ Rail 9.7 with many upgrades (170 Zeb. Jade-X coil, better brakes, wheels, tires, dropper, etc). Only thing of interest for me is 750w battery with ability to change ECO power. Updates for me in 22’ looks like a second battery when needed especially since 625w doesn’t cut for me (rides longer than 2hrs at least). Would of been nice to see Rail match travel of Slash at least (170/160) and I don’t care for the added length of 22’ Rail especially with 29 all day.

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Good video / review Rob . Bike looks good , but bigger and heavier again . Would be great if they did an extra battery that popped in the bottle holder for long rides .

Sep 27, 2021
New Zealand
My OPINION (as in, not the truth) on some of these new additions, is that manufacturers look like they are starting to run out of problems to solve. Having owned a dozen various bikes over 25 years, I would have to say that checking suspension air pressure has hardly been on my radar. I've always treated it as "set and forget". I could prob count on one hand the number of times I've thought to adjusted air pressure. And it's not much different for tyre pressure. Give the tyre a squeeze with fingers and that usually tells me whether it's how I like it. I just can't imagine many newbies to e-mtn biking will be dropping $12k on something like this because it has wireless pressure gauges they can check on an app (well, unless yr a complete tech nut)? It looks like more complexity, which brings with it an increased level of things to go wrong and then having to pay lots of $$$ to repair.
I'm also surprised that Bosch went to the trouble of allowing you to adjust ECO and Turbo assist modes, but left out Tour+ and Emtb??? Those are pretty much the only assist settings I like to use, unless I'm riding on the road and what more exercise with eco mode.
And, yes, the two tone colour band that just stops at the top of the battery compartment? It looks like a poorly executed piece of design. Of course, aesthetics are very subjective.
But aside all that, I'm sure the new Rails are very good. I really enjoy my Rail 7. It's probably the most enjoyable bike I've owned.
I think they could be pushing electronic development much further, rather than incrementalist cosmetic additions that are prob not a big priority for many riders, considering the additional expense these gadgets add to total cost of purchase.

This is my opinion. It is not the truth.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Your truth is ver my close to my experience. On my second Rail 9.8. Had the 2020, sold it and got the 2021. Loved them both. The new one looks nice, but it’s just too much tech that can go wrong and batteries you have to charge

pragrick

Oct 14, 2020
Prague
Bike looks great. I’m 50/50 on the tech, it’s cool, but really needed? And something else to go wrong??

I am disappointed about the side loading battery tho. I don’t thinks it’s a great design and messes with the lines of the bike.

They didn’t even carry the black through the battery cover like they do on the other side.

Non ocd type of bloke, but that just looks shite imo
I have had so many issues with the battery design, It has been popping out for a year and has been "fixed" 3 times by the LBS
. After one year it is finally fixed by doing it myself. The new bike looks cool, but I would like to see the issues that come out after people actually start using them in mass,. A lot of cool stuff that you don't need if you have the 2020 or 2021. I have no appetite to fix another bike I spend 9000 or more on... That said, love my rail, rides great.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have had so many issues with the battery design, It has been popping out for a year and has been "fixed" 3 times by the LBS
. After one year it is finally fixed by doing it myself.
What did you do? On my 2020 the battery has never fallen out but needs adjusting often because the bike starts turning off over rough terrain. The bike shop has now fitted the new clamps and support bar that the later bikes come with.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks for review and update Rob. Personally, the 22’ Rail upgrades are not enough to abort my 20’ Rail 9.7 with many upgrades (170 Zeb. Jade-X coil, better brakes, wheels, tires, dropper, etc). Only thing of interest for me is 750w battery with ability to change ECO power. Updates for me in 22’ looks like a second battery when needed especially since 625w doesn’t cut for me (rides longer than 2hrs at least). Would of been nice to see Rail match travel of Slash at least (170/160) and I don’t care for the added length of 22’ Rail especially with 29 all day.

You get through a 625 wh battery in no more than 2 hrs. Hell's bells.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I’ve had the 2020 9.&, and now the 2021, and never had any problems with the batteries coming loose. Have changed motors under warranty a few times though

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I got the green light a while ago, from the boss, for the new 9.9. Yesterday I had the chance to actually touch one as the sales reps paraded it out from the hidden vault. $17,000.00! CDN. I had to look again with my glasses on above my mask. Things became a bit foggy.

First thing I noticed was the colour…nice. Next thing was the controller…not bad. AXS derailer …I got the GX. AXS reverb dropper…mines on order. The wiz and app system seemed excessive. But the larger battery …no thanks.

I have the 2020 Rail 9.7 with a number of upgrades and consumable changes. I’m in the AXS eco system now I guess and Flight Attendant is on my radar. I’m slowly heading towards the price of a new-decked-out 9.8 Rail with these bank-busting upgrades.

I’ve only seen 5% left on my battery once and even then I knew gravity could take me home. 625w seems to be enough for me but not for my neighbour (30lbs heavier) with the exact same bike.

I like the new Kiox and control though. Some way, soon I hope, a hack or upgrade will let me add it to my existing 2020 9.7.1.2.3.4 etc…Rail. Can’t hold my breath for to long. ?

Edit: $17,999.99 and a free Covid shot.

Last edited:

pragrick

Oct 14, 2020
Prague
What did you do? On my 2020 the battery has never fallen out but needs adjusting often because the bike starts turning off over rough terrain. The bike shop has now fitted the new clamps and support bar that the later bikes come with.
I bought the parts that I higlighted in Pink and changed them (diagram below, all items with letters, not numbers). I followed the Service manual, it was step by step... Sad, the LBS could not get the parts from the distributor, so I bought them myself from multiple sources and countries (around 75 euro). I have a claim in with my LBS and they will give me the parts under warrenty if the distributor ever comes up with them. They claim is in as if I have not yet fixed it. The solution worked great, really, I tried to get it to pop out, and it will not. Before, it was always having an issue.......

Parts-Fix-battery-rail-2020-2021.jpeg

Attachments

• TK_Existing_RIB_Removal_New_RIB_Installation_Service_Bulletin_MY21_EN-US_Final (2).pdf
    763.2 KB · Views: 372

pragrick

Oct 14, 2020
Prague
Now I see the Trek Rail 2022 and think... no way, I just spent a year fixing these problems, why start again. Almost everytime a new model with new technology comes out it take a year or two to fix the serious porblems...... The more electronics they put in the cooler, but also much more can go wrong.... Just want to ride my bike without hassles now :)

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
I’ve currently got a SC Bullit XT coil and love it but can’t hide the fact that the motor just isn’t as strong as the Bosh, the 22 Trek 9.8 XT would be what I have been considering swapping to as the spec etc is similar the extra length also is a plus for me as I’m alway inbetween large and XL…….

I like the red smoke colour but not sure it’s as cool as my lavender SC

2B88FB72-783B-478E-B87F-EB125C808E10.jpeg

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Sadly this isn’t a fix (battery alignment plate strip) as mine cut out the other day on rocky trail even with two tension straps on. RIB is no bueno I say.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I bought the parts that I higlighted in Pink and changed them (diagram below, all items with letters, not numbers). I followed the Service manual, it was step by step... Sad, the LBS could not get the parts from the distributor, so I bought them myself from multiple sources and countries (around 75 euro). I have a claim in with my LBS and they will give me the parts under warrenty if the distributor ever comes up with them. They claim is in as if I have not yet fixed it. The solution worked great, really, I tried to get it to pop out, and it will not. Before, it was always having an issue.......

View attachment 74872
May be the fix for keeping battery from falling out but not from power cutting out on rough terrain due to battery jostling about. LBS got this plate for me and installed and sadly it didn’t correct power cut out at times. I personally believe the weight of the battery in frame like that with tolerances for removal (RIB) act like a jackhammer on the lower connecting plate, pushing it down a bit under load, thus continually recreating extra play up top, thus the jostling and cut out. Continual cycle. I am going to see if LBS can pull up the lower plate to snug things in then I will use tension straps to try to keep battery in place while riding so doesnt clang about

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Never had a problems with the battery on my Rail. When new though it had a little play and rattle so i packed around the battery with used V2 motorbike visor cleaning sponges, worked a treat.

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I wonder about the IP rating of the bike given the way the battery fits into the frame. How good is the seal down near the motor where it appears the contacts are? Any water ingress there will be a problem.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Couple of changes for me. I've ordered a 35mm stem (the stock is 45mm) and I don't like the stock tyres so much, so a DHRII and Shorty will go on the front whilst the weather is so wet and muddy in my local area for the time being.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I wonder about the IP rating of the bike given the way the battery fits into the frame. How good is the seal down near the motor where it appears the contacts are? Any water ingress there will be a problem.
I've never had any issue with water ingress on my own rail. Although some mud can seep in slightly under the battery its never been too much of an issue. Here's the new battery after a soaking wet ride:

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Bit OCD on my part but now it's getting wet and gritty up here in the Peak I just run a strip of insulation tape down the bottom edge of the battery cover over the gap between it and the frame. Keeps all the crap out and on my red and dark grey bike it is hardly noticeable. This keeps most of the rubbish out.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
I’m pretty keen on a 9.8 XT. Does anybody know if the gap between the chainring and chain stay has changed at all?
I don’t want to buy a another carbon bike only to have this happen again after the first decent ride on it. And yes everything was tight and as it should be.

1635819385070.jpeg
1635819385070.jpeg

pragrick

Oct 14, 2020
Prague
. After one year it is finally fixed by doing it myself. The new bike looks cool, but I would like to see the issues that come our after people actually start using them in mass,. A lot of cool stuff that you don't need if you have the 2020 or 2021. I have no appetite to fix another bike I spend 9000 or more on... That said, love my rail, rides great.
I replaced all of the items that I highlighted in pink. Followed the service manual, step by step..... I really tried to get it to pop out again and it is solid now... No issues so far. Finally

Parts-Fix-battery-rail-2020-2021.jpeg

Attachments

• TK_Existing_RIB_Removal_New_RIB_Installation_Service_Bulletin_MY21_EN-US_Final (2).pdf
    763.2 KB · Views: 291

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I’m pretty keen on a 9.8 XT. Does anybody know if the gap between the chainring and chain stay has changed at all?
I don’t want to buy a another carbon bike only to have this happen again after the first decent ride on it. And yes everything was tight and as it should be.

View attachment 75033 View attachment 75033
My 2020 9.8 looked exactly like that. It was a GX though. I now have the 9.8 XT, and it doesn’t have a single mark from the chainring. I have 1000km on my 2021. Looks like they changed something

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Today I installed a 35mm stem and prefer this over the 45mm on the XL bike. Handling wise the new Rail feels like more of an enduro sled than my Rail 625. With the longer wheelbase and longer front centre its noticeably more stable but requires a bit more effort to get over the front for grip. But still, its a Rail, and handling and performance is very very good.

I can also feel the weight of the longer battery over the front. Surprisingly, the SE5 and SE6 tyres feel quite good today, despite the first ride thoughts! Although I've been cautiously riding it because its so muddy and wet out still.

The bike weight almost gram for gram the same as my Rail 625 at 23.4 KG, but the weight distribution is different. Not worse or better. It bunnyhops easier for example, but harder to lift the front.

The 750Wh really is the killer feature here in terms of differences between 625 and 750 rails... (along with the excellent performance from the Bosch motor). The fact that EMTB Mode can be used for hours without a noticeable drop in power / punch is brilliant.

I'm actually getting used to the feel of the new Bosch controller. I don't like the aesthetics, but using it (even on dark rides) is getting easy. I suspect after a good 5-10 rides it'll feel good with no noticeable issues.

Last edited:

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
May be the fix for keeping battery from falling out but not from power cutting out on rough terrain due to battery jostling about. LBS got this plate for me and installed and sadly it didn’t correct power cut out at times. I personally believe the weight of the battery in frame like that with tolerances for removal (RIB) act like a jackhammer on the lower connecting plate, pushing it down a bit under load, thus continually recreating extra play up top, thus the jostling and cut out. Continual cycle. I am going to see if LBS can pull up the lower plate to snug things in then I will use tension straps to try to keep battery in place while riding so doesnt clang about

I never had the battery drop issue but the power cut plagued me even after Trek (corporate retail store) did the RIB adjustment a couple times, until one of their techs told me what he does: drop the motor cover, loosen the lower battery bracket (the torx on the underside of the downtube) and then use a long hex wrench or something similar to apply pressure to the backside of the lower bracket, through the opened ‘engine compartment’, and tightening the torx while applying pressure. He offered to do it but didn’t have my bike with me and I wanted to fiddle with it myself. I did the RIB procedure first (upper bracket wasn’t quite right). Too much pressure and it’s tough to get the battery out, so test battery removal. I did this with the bike flipped over. Not a single power-cut issue since.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
That's what my LBS does as well. Be warned, it's not a permanent fix.

As you note there's the jackhammer effect on the lower brack so I suspect over time I'll have to do it again. So far so good over the same trails I'd been riding all along, about 400 miles over 20-30 rides where previously it would have occurred 3 out of 4 rides. Fingers crossed :)

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
I have been checking with a lot of Trek dealers in Norway to order a 2022 9.8 or 9.9 but it looks like the best delivery time I can get is best case September 2022, is it the same else where?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles