All New 2019 Specialized Turbo Levo launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I do not know if this has been covered already, Specialized is speaking about a reduced frame weight but does anybody knows the weight of each version? I am particulary interested to know how much does the Expert weights in size large.
Heard its 21.5 kg. Wondering if its worth getting a 500 wh battery for when riding with friends that have the same, wonder how much weight the batteries weigh if anyone knows? How tall are you? I am 6’2 and thinking xl, seems like sizing up is more beneficial.

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Heard its 21.5 kg. Wondering if its worth getting a 500 wh battery for when riding with friends that have the same, wonder how much weight the batteries weigh if anyone knows? How tall are you? I am 6’2 and thinking xl, seems like sizing up is more beneficial.

Jeez best not eat any pies whilst out then :eek:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
...Am I going to buy one? Yes (y)
Which one?..... It will probably be the base model.
Why would I do that? I am a serial upgrader and ideally all I want is the frame and motor....

And then they were two....
gatsby.1497548146.gif

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
2019 Levo S-Works with the 700Wh battery is 19.5kg. (Size Medium Probably) The weight quote is about the 8min mark on the video.

Chicco

Sep 14, 2018
Italy
Is it possible to get a Turbo Levo Comp 2019 and in the future recelling the stock 500W battery with new cells to get a 700W battery?

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
I should have stated that it can’t be done as easily as carbon.
After you weld aluminum it has to be heat treated again. If it’s a hydroformed tube, you cant just have it replaced with the same one.
The chap doesn’t mention heatreating once on his website and his repairs look horrific. He adds more material to strengthen up aluminum that gets more brittle when you weld on it.
View attachment 5279 Where a carbon fiber frame repair is a lot like repairing a fiberglass boat or a surf board.
View attachment 5280 View attachment 5281
Yep I agree I wouldn't use that chap either!, It was just the first up on a google search, just an example.... :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
OMG!

This bike is so quick. Like, really quick, the motor in 100% everything is a brute.

Only a quick spin, but it feels like nothing I’ve ridden before, like totally different. The front feels much more stable, better feedback.

Early days, but this is a ripper.

huw_seers

Sep 10, 2018
Cardiff
How does is compare against the 2019 Kenevo Expert?

Really thinking about changing my Kenevo order for the new Levo Comp Carbon or Expert in the morning.

I really like the look of the new Levo from all the videos I've watched today!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Removing the mist from your lust filled eyes and getting real for a moment...

I've been very interested in the launch of this bike, not because I want one (I really don't, geometry and intended use are way off for my use) but to see the developments Spesh have made.There's no doubting the new Levo is an improvement over the old model but lets take a look at the reasons for this.
I read here before the launch that the new levo was stiffer and more playful... but didn't get a decent answer as to why. It's now fairly obvious to me why.
1) Gone are the vague (and heavy) 27.5x3.0 tyres - Specialized themselves have now admitted they were off the mark specing these on the old levo and a 2.5" (or 2.6 if you truely believe anyone went away and redesigned a tyre 0.1" wider ;)) gives plenty grip for an Emtb but doesn't have the weight penalty or vagueness.
2) Weight, They've done a great job of reducing the weight on these bikes but it's not without a downside. eg. the 20.5kg quoted is minus pedals and Specialized have slapped a rider weight limit on there. That's only 500g lighter than my 170mm travel vitus which has far more agressive geometry, is intender for Enduro riding rather than all-mountain and has no rider weight limit.
3) Suspension tune, Specialized have firmed up the shock tune to give more midstroke support. Personally I'd have preferred them to also alter the leverage curve, but fair enough. both ways work and this can only be a good thing.

I personally think a 47lb (21.3kg in euros) Emtb is right at the sweetspot of giving a heavy AF Emtb bike back some much needed playfulness and agility and Specialized seem to feel the same.

Back to the improvements, aesthetically Spesh have done a brilliant job of making it look almost like a normal bike with the new internal downtube battery design. This alone will sell them way more bikes than any of their humpback battery competitors. The improvements to the motor (weight, and control system) sound frankly brilliant. The lighter/stiffer fram design and small things like the neater controls, optional display etc all ad up to a great, well thought out package, I can't see anyone wanting an all mountain Emtb being unhappy purchasing one of these (Although their bank balance might grumble a bit tho).

Looking forward to the 21kg 27.5 non plus, slacker, lowAF, more progressive/supportive, non rider weight/intended use restricted Kenevo's release. ;)

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I know why they put it there..... to make it easy to pull the plug out.

Just don’t know why the didn’t just adjust the final position of it by 90 degrees or even 180 degrees.

How long do you think this ‘gutter’ that flows nowhere will take to fill up in my wet muddy climate in Wales...... hmmmm about 3 to 5 minutes me thinks

I can see me filling this with black sealant leaving just enough depth to pull the plug out but not enough room to for it to fill up with mud

View attachment 5274

Yeah, that’s poor design...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
How does is compare against the 2019 Kenevo Expert?

Really thinking about changing my Kenevo order for the new Levo Comp Carbon or Expert in the morning.

I really like the look of the new Levo from all the videos I've watched today!
Need to ride it way more to give a good response to this ?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just had a test ride on a size large carbon comp today.
I currently own a size large expert which I've been very happy with, but was very interested in the new levo, mainly because of the bigger battery.
Well for starters the new bike is stunning to look at, you could seriously mistake it for a 2019 stumpjumper.
Is definitely a step up from the older levo.
However riding it, and I hasten to add it was very windy and was just on pavement, didn't make e think wow, I must get one.
The motor was very quite and smooth, but felt the same in power delivery as my own.
The one thing I'm still not convinced about is the 29 wheels with only a 30mm rim width and 2.6 tyres.
I'm not sure if I would miss the fatties and all the comfort and grip they give, I don't want to lose that monster truck ride.
Rob, I know you have just bought one, what are your observations?

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Oh dear...I only have until tomorrow morning to change my order!
These are honestly two completely different bikes.
Yes there's crossover (heck, they're both ebikes), their pure intent and dare I say Specialized's modus operandi was two distinct bikes.
I had a Carbon Comp Levo 2018 and now have a Kenevo Expert 2019 and they're night and day. And yes the 2019 Levo is very different to a 2018, look at the angles, suspension etc. Very different bikes.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
Removing the mist from your lust filled eyes and getting real for a moment...

the 20.5kg quoted is minus pedals and Specialized have slapped a rider weight limit on there. That's only 500g lighter than my 170mm travel vitus

Lets get real for the Vitus -
According to MBR "Vitus claims that rear wheel travel on the E-Sommet is 160mm but we measured it closer to 150mm"
According to Pinkbike "Weight: 22.39kg (XL, tubeless, DDown tyres, w/o pedals, actual.) "

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles