All mtn 7. Ridden 38 times... And now this..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What's left on your list Steve?
I wondered if someone might ask that. I was registering an element of dissatisfaction. I am not currently looking for another bike so I don't have a list. But the Haibike wouldn't be on it, nor a Levo or Kenevo for that matter. If my bike was stolen or irretrievably damaged, I would probably get another one exactly like the one I have (if still available), possible alternatives would be a Whyte e160, or maybe a Merida e160. I like the look of the Norco emtbs, but I used to have a Norco Sight 1 and the pivot bearings needed replacing on average every 8 months. The wheel bearings did slightly better. I loved the bike, but not its maintenance requirements. I had a Whyte T130C RS and it was as solid as a rock, wish I'd never sold it. My Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE has been excellent too.

mxtyphoon

May 23, 2020
Wisconsin SW
Check that rear cassette, I had a bearing go out on my Trek and it was noisy like yours but not that bad, because I got it fixed right away. Didn’t want it to damage anything else or lockup and cause a crash. Plus it was under warranty yet, haven’t had any problems since and just turned over 3,000 miles. Have replaced one chain and been using paraffin wax on my chain and redoing it about every 150 miles seems to do the best

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Motor paranoia. It's funny how whenever I hear a noise on my EMTB my first thought is "sounds like the motor". But, in reality, the worst noises have always been something else...loose cassette, mudguard catching the chain, chain suck on the ring, jockey wheels, wheel/freehub bearings, pawls etc. Also, sometimes the exact origin of a noise is difficult to pin down. What sounds like the crank is actually the back wheel or seatpost etc. The best way to solve problems like this is to start with the easiest bits to strip down/clean/grease/tighten, work through each of these, one at a time, making sure they're sorted and keep testing to see if that fixes the problem. In his case it seems to be something to do with the drivetrain or motor. So...check the cassette, freehub/pawls, wheel/hub bearings, jockey wheels, chain, chain ring & bolts, crankarms, pedals before making any conclusions about the motor.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Motor paranoia. It's funny how whenever I hear a noise on my EMTB my first thought is "sounds like the motor". But, in reality, the worst noises have always been something else...loose cassette, mudguard catching the chain, chain suck on the ring, jockey wheels, wheel/freehub bearings, pawls etc. Also, sometimes the exact origin of a noise is difficult to pin down. What sounds like the crank is actually the back wheel or seatpost etc. The best way to solve problems like this is to start with the easiest bits to strip down/clean/grease/tighten, work through each of these, one at a time, making sure they're sorted and keep testing to see if that fixes the problem. In his case it seems to be something to do with the drivetrain or motor. So...check the cassette, freehub/pawls, wheel/hub bearings, jockey wheels, chain, chain ring & bolts, crankarms, pedals before making any conclusions about the motor.
agreed. but all of this requires good working knowledge of the bike, the drivetrain and the suspension.
I thing the stark reality is you can't just buy an e-bike and ride it without knowing this. even if you were to ride it, and take it to get serviced by someone who knows what they are doing quite regularly, thats still not enough.
I remember the days when I was a generator mechanic in the army, my job was to look after generators. problem was almost all of the faults that came up were due to the operator. theres only so much we could do, when it was fixed and running it was down to the operator to keep it like that, but more often than not they didn't really care and just kicked it back to us when it was broken, without us being there and actually operating it for them 247 there was no other way.
so in comparison to the MTB world, you either need to learn and practice all of the required maintenance on the e bike, or you need to have your maintenance guy ride alongside you all the time, and if anything goes wrong, get him to fix it. there's no in-between

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hopefully the OP survives the "tough love" shown in this thread. If people did not care they would just ignore the bloke! Keep in mind there are various alliances here..........EMTB fans/ MTB fans/Haibike Fans/YT emtb video fans/ BOTG fans! So comments will vary.

Some bits of advice for BOTG from me:-
1. Do not assume a new bike has been put together properly!
2. 38 rides...assuming each ride is 2 hours....... is a hell of a lot of riding often in mucky conditions. I would at least have had the cassette and freehub off to clean and regrease, and clean/check front and rear wheel bearings at half that ride distance.....more especially on a new bike. Once I had cleaned and serviced those items I would be more familiar with how well they are sealed and that my service will probably mean all those items are far better protected from then onwards.
3. You ride hard...........you ride in mucky conditions.........a big priority for you must now be to learn bit by bit how to check your bike and do basic maintenance on a regular basis. I thoroughly check and clean my bike after every ride.....often it is as satisfying as the ride itself!
4. Take the attitude that if the bike lets you down, 90% of the time its your fault ( obviously there are some things you cannot control). That way you portray on your videos real love for your bike.............not just love when it meets your high expectations.........your passion for riding that is obvious in the videos can then be spread to the bike, and viewers will be more attracted to that than a whinge about this or that brand or this or that LBS.

Maybe a list of basic checks and cleaning/re-greasing tasks after each ride if conditions are really mucky would be a useful thing to compile.

Good luck with your channel.

Mihail

Nov 11, 2019
Munich
Haibike don't value their customers and because of that they moved from a leader in the EMTB space to just another brand. Because of their lack of customer support I switched to Specialized. I didn't even look at the new Haibike models when I was on the market to replace my Haibike Full Seven pro. Looks like it is not just me, as in the past almost every EMTB you see in Germany was a Haibike, now you barely see one.

Last edited:

humber44

Dec 15, 2020
derbyshire
I have a haibike fullseven 7...which has never been pressure washed or submerged in water but water still got in the motor and fried the electrics..haibike offered no help because it was out of warranty..I don't feel they are fit for purpose if you cannot use them in wet weather..I'm not sure what I'd buy next..they all have problems...Peter Collard PLB sorted me out a new motor..excellent guys definitely best place to go..my rear cassette often comes loose so I just keep checking it..hope you suit yours out

TGN

Apr 11, 2020
UK
I should of clarified, back wheel was repsoked, and new rotor on, presumed bike shop would of checked all was tight.
Don't bet on it. I had a replacement spoke fitted (on the cassette side) at a reputable LBS recently. I noticed after my first ride that the cassette was loose (as in your vid). When I took the wheel out, the lockring wasn't tight. So a simple job (as others have said) to strip and rebuild the cassette. All rock solid (and quiet) now.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Yeah, Lots of new riders coming to emtbs. They are paying £4K+++ for a bike and expect it to work. Problem is the drive trains are all still designed on 1 manpower input and the motors are modified car wiper units.

Motor manufacturers are not helping by taking a "blackbox" attitude with No spares available and when the warranty is finished you're on your own up the creek without a fecking paddle. Not great.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Hopefully the OP survives the "tough love" shown in this thread. If people did not care they would just ignore the bloke! Keep in mind there are various alliances here..........EMTB fans/ MTB fans/Haibike Fans/YT emtb video fans/ BOTG fans! So comments will vary.

Some bits of advice for BOTG from me:-
1. Do not assume a new bike has been put together properly!
2. 38 rides...assuming each ride is 2 hours....... is a hell of a lot of riding often in mucky conditions. I would at least have had the cassette and freehub off to clean and regrease, and clean/check front and rear wheel bearings at half that ride distance.....more especially on a new bike. Once I had cleaned and serviced those items I would be more familiar with how well they are sealed and that my service will probably mean all those items are far better protected from then onwards.
3. You ride hard...........you ride in mucky conditions.........a big priority for you must now be to learn bit by bit how to check your bike and do basic maintenance on a regular basis. I thoroughly check and clean my bike after every ride.....often it is as satisfying as the ride itself!
4. Take the attitude that if the bike lets you down, 90% of the time its your fault ( obviously there are some things you cannot control). That way you portray on your videos real love for your bike.............not just love when it meets your high expectations.........your passion for riding that is obvious in the videos can then be spread to the bike, and viewers will be more attracted to that than a whinge about this or that brand or this or that LBS.

Maybe a list of basic checks and cleaning/re-greasing tasks after each ride if conditions are really mucky would be a useful thing to compile.

Good luck with your channel.
Agreed its been a learning process and an eye opener thank you all who have contributed to help. This grumpy Yorkshire bastard is listening to you all. Now wheres that dam Garmin I just kerb stomped ;)

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
I have a haibike fullseven 7...which has never been pressure washed or submerged in water but water still got in the motor and fried the electrics..haibike offered no help because it was out of warranty..I don't feel they are fit for purpose if you cannot use them in wet weather..I'm not sure what I'd buy next..they all have problems...Peter Collard PLB sorted me out a new motor..excellent guys definitely best place to go..my rear cassette often comes loose so I just keep checking it..hope you suit yours out
I was told Sam pilgrim dunked his entire bike underwater to show they are OK... I can't find that video did Haibike pull it? They ignore me when I ask for advice they don't care.

JC1982

Feb 6, 2021
South Wales
Haibike don't value their customers and because of that they moved from a leader in the EMTB space to just another brand. Because of their lack of customer support I switched to Specialized. I didn't even look at the new Haibike models when I was on the market to replace my Haibike Full Seven pro. Looks like it is not just me, as in the past almost every EMTB you see in Germany was a Haibike, now you barely see one.

I am starting to come to this conclusion as well, from stories of other people struggling with Haibikes customer service. However I have to say when I needed the motor replaced, this was sorted pretty quick. I do belive though that was organised through Raleigh and Tredz. When corresponding with Haibike of spec and mancbchanical info. They are horrendous and have taken weeks to reply. Leaving me with more paranoia than I need when it start making a new noise lol. Generally though so far after I then get home and give it a good clean it's good to go again and it's been through some heavy Welsh Winter conditions.

Ita a real shame as I love my Allmtn 7 and it does do All Mountain exceptional well. I have pushed this bike with the exception of big jumps.

In relation to the bikes reliability though, it would be more helpful to actually get some clarity on the relative information. For instance bikes sold to bike requiring motor replacements and so on.

Its a nightmare when your bike breaks but we will post this without a second thought, which in turn makes it look on social media that there are faults with majority of these bikes.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Boots, work with us on this. Why are you so reluctant to have a go yourself? Surely your channel would benefit from a “this is how I fixed it” video?

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
I’m missing a bit here.
Brakes were squeaking.
Changed the pads (and meanwhile mullered the ceramic pistons with a screwdriver. Always push the old pads the retract, not the pistons).
Put the wheel in with the disc rotor not between the pads but between the back of one pad and the pistons on that ride. Oh dear .
If that’s so, how come there’s no friction material at all on that worn pad? how was it subject to any wear at all?
Of course I can see that the disc would eat into the metal on the back of the pad .
Also how come the other (new) pad looks worn, as if it’s been used?
OK, maybe the wheel was off twice and was fitted properly the first time around - but, still, how come that pad that’s been worn into the metal has no friction material on it?
If the disc was wearing the back of the pad (between that and the pistons) the pad material should be brand new.
On both pads
Strange situation this!
And never ride with the cassette like that. Crikey.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Boots, work with us on this. Why are you so reluctant to have a go yourself? Surely your channel would benefit from a “this is how I fixed it” video?
You are joking right? After the conversations we have had in this topic. Lol no chance. Let's not go through this again we are past this topic mate. I know what's wro g with bike now it's nothing to do with brakes I'm waiting on the bike shops response before doing a video on it it's not something I can repair.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
You are joking right? After the conversations we have had in this topic. Lol no chance. Let's not go through this again we are past this topic mate. I know what's wro g with bike now it's nothing to do with brakes I'm waiting on the bike shops response before doing a video on it it's not something I can repair.
part time paparrazzi still wants a pound of flesh Boots instead of reading the
bloody thread and understanding the comments made previously has
been taken on board, you give em one bud.
bit of yorkshire grit

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
What I would like to do...

Is a video on basic bike checks before and after a ride think that would be interesting. I will however get your all advice before broaching the topic otherwise the forums and yt will melt and leave people needing therapy ?

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
What I would like to do...

Is a video on basic bike checks before and after a ride think that would be interesting. I will however get your all advice before broaching the topic otherwise the forums and yt will melt and leave people needing therapy ?
Boots can you make sure you have a Pirelli calender behind you in camera shotand focused please while you do the bike checks??

Steve b

Apr 11, 2021
Peak District
Convinced its the rear hub and not the motor. Told if it is the motor will be the first return they have had. Try and avoid pedal strikes was one piece of advice iv had. If its the rear hub it's covered. If its rear free wheel hub it's not and I'll have to pay. If its motor will take less than 1 hours before back riding again.

My question is... Should the hub break after riding 38 times.? With some rides being on the canal? Going to cost a fortune if things break after 5 months...
I ride my Haibike reasonably hard in the Peak District, 1000 miles since end November. Chainstay bearing (drive side) broke and now held together with zip ties awaiting repair, front chain ring worn out despite changing chain, now error code 64 and bike completely unusable.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
I ride my Haibike reasonably hard in the Peak District, 1000 miles since end November. Chainstay bearing (drive side) broke and now held together with zip ties awaiting repair, front chain ring worn out despite changing chain, now error code 64 and bike completely unusable.
What's error 64? Gutted for ya mate really am I'm lost with my bike now don't know what to do with myself and its a glorious sunny day here in Yorkshire.

JC1982

Feb 6, 2021
South Wales

Mate get that back into the lbs straight way. I had to have a motor replaced because of error 64. Stated it was a blown torque sensor.Yamaha Pw-x2.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’m missing a bit here.
Brakes were squeaking.
Changed the pads (and meanwhile mullered the ceramic pistons with a screwdriver. Always push the old pads the retract, not the pistons).
Put the wheel in with the disc rotor not between the pads but between the back of one pad and the pistons on that ride. Oh dear .
If that’s so, how come there’s no friction material at all on that worn pad? how was it subject to any wear at all?
Of course I can see that the disc would eat into the metal on the back of the pad .
Also how come the other (new) pad looks worn, as if it’s been used?
OK, maybe the wheel was off twice and was fitted properly the first time around - but, still, how come that pad that’s been worn into the metal has no friction material on it?
If the disc was wearing the back of the pad (between that and the pistons) the pad material should be brand new.
On both pads
Strange situation this!
And never ride with the cassette like that. Crikey.

Perhaps the metal Backing plate got so hot it melted the adhesive which glues the friction material on and it simply fell off from the backing plate?

Steve b

Apr 11, 2021
Peak District
What's error 64? Gutted for ya mate really am I'm lost with my bike now don't know what to do with myself and its a glorious sunny day here in Yorkshire.
Error 64 seems to be a failed torque sensor, awaiting diagnostics. Unfortunately it did fail 10 miles from home with a few hills to negotiate. Beautiful day here too. Went out yesterday on my old (2010) Trek Fuel. Hard work and felt very dated.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Error 64 seems to be a failed torque sensor, awaiting diagnostics. Unfortunately it did fail 10 miles from home with a few hills to negotiate. Beautiful day here too. Went out yesterday on my old (2010) Trek Fuel. Hard work and felt very dated.
Were you riding it hard? Worried I should chill a bit more on down hill sections :( scared it will break or cost me again...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles