All mtn 7. Ridden 38 times... And now this..

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Any ideas? :( so many having problems should they recall? Bike is 5 months old ridden 38ish times. Cleaned lubed and kept in dehumidifier room after every ride.

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Saw the video, seams all the bike companies are having the same issues. To me it seams as their using standard mountain bike components on an ebike when in reality they need beefing up a bit. No one wants to do that as it adds weight.. mates trek rail is falling to bits after 400 miles too.
Every couple of rides you just need to check everything is tight.
hope they watch your videos and get it sorted for you though ??

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Guess 300 miles ( your raving review from just a few months ago) isn't nearly enough to draw conclusions?

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Unfortunately you are just going to have to wait (or try get a refund) unless you are happy to strip the motor to work out what's wrong, voiding any warranty you do have. It's annoying but these things happen. My Bosch motor died after just 600 miles, my riding friends have all had motor replacements too.

The pandemic is obviously not helping since there has been a huge increase in demand along with delays in production/warranty support.

I don't really feel that ebikes are fully fit for purpose at the minute, things wear out quickly (especially drivetrain related) and in my limited experience the electrics aren't suitable for the UK riding conditions.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Get your tools out and pull the side cover off. You may find something simple and fixable. If it's seven months then that's not a warranty, it's no good to anyone. Nothing to loose.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
And maybe a 2 year wait for parts...

Then you say it's not a reasonable time to wait for the repair/replacement and request a refund on the bike. If you paid on credit card then do a section 75 claim if the shop refuse to help.

If he takes the motor apart and can't get replacement parts anyway you won't be getting anywhere. That's if he can actually work out what's gone wrong.

constantinos156

Jan 27, 2021
Greece
Andy, I hope your Haibike dealer or Haibike themselves short this out for you asap. I'm waiting for my All mtn7 in May and this video wiped the smile off my face. Keep us posted on the feedback from Haibike please.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
Almost all ebike motors have three spots where they are vulnerable for water ingress:
The two bearings where the axle goes out and the part where all the wiring comes out of the motor.
The Allmtn7 has these vents at the front and Haibike claims that they are good for keeping the battery and motor temp low.
Unfortunately you also get a lot of water inside the frame if you clean your bike with a jet-washer or a normal water-hose.
This water can make your lower headset- bearing rusty (check that) and can further go to that exact spot where all the cables come out of the motor.
I'm not sure if these vents are thought through properly and you have to be very careful with cleaning the bike especially in the front part.
The other problem is the two bearings on the through-axle. If you aim with a water-hose or worse with a jet-washer towards these parts, chances are high that you'll have water ingress inside your motor.
I'm also cleaning my bikes with a water-hose and I'm very careful when it comes to cleaning the above mentioned parts of the bike.

A good option is to ask Peter Collard from Performance line bearings about this. He's a good guy and if he's able to help you, he will do.
Better than seven months of waiting.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Then you say it's not a reasonable time to wait for the repair/replacement and request a refund on the bike. If you paid on credit card then do a section 75 claim if the shop refuse to help.

If he takes the motor apart and can't get replacement parts anyway you won't be getting anywhere. That's if he can actually work out what's gone wrong.

I hope you are able to get parts quickly, obviously. I was being somewhat cynical having had a really difficult time recently getting even basic service parts such as brake pads and discs...

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
You asked about the excessive axial play in the cassette. That should not be there. Either the cassette is coming loose or the freehub bearing is begining to collapse, or both. Easy to check.

Free hubs can make some pretty strange noises when they are failing.

Good luck with it.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford

Making that amount of noise I don't think it's gonna take Sherlock Holmes to spot the problem!

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Saw the video, seams all the bike companies are having the same issues. To me it seams as their using standard mountain bike components on an ebike when in reality they need beefing up a bit. No one wants to do that as it adds weight.. mates trek rail is falling to bits after 400 miles too.
Every couple of rides you just need to check everything is tight.
hope they watch your videos and get it sorted for you though ??
Bike booked in for 4th of May.. will do a video on it while down there. (280 mile drive each way for me :(

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Andy, I hope your Haibike dealer or Haibike themselves short this out for you asap. I'm waiting for my All mtn7 in May and this video wiped the smile off my face. Keep us posted on the feedback from Haibike please.
Bike is bloody awesome.. seriously this bike does anything you throw at it. its booked in for diagnostics on 4th of May, think its either hubs or motors, if it is the motor mine will be the first they have had issues with. I will be vlogging my 280 mile drive each way down to farnham, to get it booked in.

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Are you sure this noise comes from the motor? You shown the rear cassette is loose, and it is not normal. What is the chance the motor noise and loose rear cassette appear at the same time? I feel this sound is not from the motor. Fix the rear cassette first.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
right up until the point that you wobbled the cassette and said in a confused way "I don't think this is supposed to be that loose" I thought you were a guy who knew what you were talking about....
Now I'm thinking if you don't know how to re-tighten a cassette then maybe you've missed something else obvious thats causing the problem?
but anyway good luck getting it sorted, I have a feeling you will by putting it on YT like that, surely someone at haibike or raleigh would do something to get it sorted or else it'll be damaging!

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
My sympathies, what a bummer.

Sort out the cassette for sure. After that it shouldn't be too hard to isolate whether the strange sound or behavior is coming from the motor or hub though. If you're having a hard time doing it by ear, stick a couple cameras close to each and go for a ride, or if you have another rear wheel off of another bike, go ahead and slot that in there for a bit.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
right up until the point that you wobbled the cassette and said in a confused way "I don't think this is supposed to be that loose" I thought you were a guy who knew what you were talking about....
Now I'm thinking if you don't know how to re-tighten a cassette then maybe you've missed something else obvious thats causing the problem?
but anyway good luck getting it sorted, I have a feeling you will by putting it on YT like that, surely someone at haibike or raleigh would do something to get it sorted or else it'll be damaging!
I should of clarified, back wheel was repsoked, and new rotor on, presumed bike shop would of checked all was tight.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Well that's a Haibike off my list!

You may recall Steve I was looking at a Focus earlier this year, but couldn't find any in stock in my size and yet found a Haibike from a local bike shop. I went for a Bosch powered aluminium Allmtn 4 version rather than carbon framed Yamaha powered. So far so good (fingers crossed) and the bike is absolutely awesome. It's not nice seeing all these recent issues with Haibikes but it does seem to be mainly with the carbon framed Yamaha Allmtn 6&7 models

Last edited:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Watched your video which included you crossing a river a while back, maybe all that water finally done some damage and EMTBs aren't so good at floating after all....?
Hope you get it sorted quickly.

River crossing from about the 14 minute mark. ?

I was wondering if this was going to be mentioned as at the time I thought the river crossing video would come back to haunt Boots....

It definitely needs to be considered when people see the original vid in this thread and could potentially put someone off the haibike brand. Unfairly so imo.

Hopefully a reasonable approach with manufacturer & bike shop in regards to repairs etc is also taken, as too often people seem to want to jump on the blame bandwagon and slate the bikes and lbs ‘service’.

Hopefully it does get sorted and you back out and loving the trails though boots ? ??

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Others have already pointed out that you have an obvious fault with your drivetrain and with that much movement on your cassette it looks to me like you have at least one collapsed bearing either in the freehub or the rear hub or both. Whatever the cause there is now ay you should be riding it like that since it could lead to damage that cannot be repaired without a new hub. It will take less than 10 minutes to strip the cassette and freehub off the rear hub and check what is going on there.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Watched your video which included you crossing a river a while back, maybe all that water finally done some damage and EMTBs aren't so good at floating after all....?
Hope you get it sorted quickly.

River crossing from about the 14 minute mark. ?

Was it you I warned about riding through deep water ?
Those electric motors are not biscuits .
Sam Pilgrim has some things to answer to . I saw him dunk his Haibike past the cranks and say its no problem .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles