Ads now make site painful

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
It's not just this forum. Many many websites have a shitload of ads.
I do t mind an ad, but on mobile they spam these ads like crazy. 2-3 big ads before you can read the page , scroll and more ads...

Just get opera browser and all your ads are gone on all websites

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
And it's stopped for me. For the previous few days it seemed I got a full screen ad for vtoman between each post in a thread. (I had been researching vtoman)
The annoying one that drops down from the top and covers the icons has also stopped.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
£5 a year membership renders this a non-problem
Yes your 100% right
But being held to ransom by making the site unusable is another matter all together
It becomes a bit of a pay your money or bugger off sort of thing .

@Zimmerframe

I wont clutter this thread buy replying directly to your post
So here goes , Its not the money its the principle of the thing and its a glitch that's been effecting my mobile devices for around 3 months now at least, so its not just happened , and for the record i have no problem with adverts but when there's more adverts than site content that gets ridiculous and as someone brought it up i thought i would wade in .

And as for the freeloading comment its the foot traffic, site use and also sensible advertising that makes the site work because without the first 2 the advertising is worthless,
So every body who uses it and puts time into it helps no matter if there paying or not we are all contributing to keeping the site going .

Wording edited and reply's to whom it may concern .

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yes your 100% right
But being bullied into it by making the site unusable is another matter all together
It becomes a bit of a pay your ransom or bugger off sort of thing .
You really think you're being bullied into it? That it's not more likely it's just a glitch in the advert system for the site.

Whilst I'm sure a website like this must make millions each year and there's no need for Rob to make Youtube video's because it's such a cash cow - ok, so in reality it probably makes not much more than it costs to run with servers, data, licencing the forum software, maintenance, admin and so on - that he has little interest in turning into a painful experience for anyone. It's a resource.

"Bullied" into subscribing. It's literally like €6 a year ! like 1.5p per day ... How much is a pint of beer now. Whilst I love beer, I'm pretty sure I get more out of the site and save way more than the subscription just from links to cheaper things, knowledge, knowing how to fix things, not buying crap I don't need because I find it's crap.

I run an ad blocker, so I wouldn't get adverts anyway, but it really just seems only reasonable to cough up a few pennies which helps towards keeping the site available for what I get out of it rather than feeling like I'm freeloading.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I haven't got any adverts, but this did just pop up so I'll post it as a screenshot ..

1708443170544.png

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
#1-riding my bike
#2- EMTB Forums
#3-riding my bike
#4-watching fake news
#5-riding my bike
#6-searching bike upgrades
#7-EMTB forums
#8-nap time
#9-EMTB forums
#10-paint my toenails
#28-get bike upgrades
#29-watch NFL reruns.
#30-tuneup bike
#31-watch Netflix for 5mins
#32-EMTB forums
#33-fall a sleep 😴

#groundhogday

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think you need to start a thread for #10.

Not sure if it would be Lounge, Workshop - tools-tips-techniques, components or maybe Santa Cruz, I'd imagine Santa Cruz owners maybe detail their nails after their bike ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m only a black n gray kinda guy, but maybe the Santa Cruz riders can share some techniques and different colours.

There’s so much to learn 😉
Didn't @VWsurfbum have a Santa ?

Rumour has it he lost all his toes in an overly exuberant pub crawl/toe nail clipping session involving some garden shears and was rejected from the SC Club.

I wish we had a screenshot of his adverts ..

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Didn't @VWsurfbum have a Santa ?

Rumour has it he lost all his toes in an overly exuberant pub crawl/toe nail clipping session involving some garden shears and was rejected from the SC Club.

I wish we had a screenshot of his adverts ..
I respect Santa owners. My son-in-law has one after all. I even offered him $50 to cutoff his man-bun.

Maybe I was jealous. 🤷‍♂️

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I think a fiver is cheap for the info you get out of site without the ads
I mean after all the money people throw at there bikes you can't complain

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
The entire internet is completely unusable without an ad blocker. I see no ads, here or anywhere. When I have to use a computer without a blocker, I think I would go Amish if there weren't ad blockers.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
The entire internet is completely unusable without an ad blocker. I see no ads, here or anywhere. When I have to use a computer without a blocker, I think I would go Amish if there weren't ad blockers.
Agreed, 143701 ads blocked on my phone and around 90k ads blocked on my tablet since I use this browser
Screenshot_20240224_220655_Opera.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles