Actual Rise Weights??

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I have a good friend looking to move from her very heavy Nocro ebike to a Rise. We have both tried google to get some answers on actual weights versus ‘marketing‘ weights, frame weights etc.

Budget is not so much of a concern so I’m trying to get her to pull the trigger on the M-Ltd but with stock issues (we are in Vancouver, BC) she‘s open to alternatives if the weight penalty is not horrific.

I’m quite convinced the carbon is totally worth it. Just trying to work out, in the real world if the higher spec builds have proper weight savings. She’s a blue run cruiser and doesn’t care for XTR over SLX, performance wise, but if it really helped to keep the weight down that makes it attractive.

My suggestion is to get the best spec’d bike that’s available, but it’s hard to get some of these real world answers.

Thoughts and help appreciated. She wants a Medium so if anyone has seen one in BC (or Alberta) do give me a heads up. Cheers!

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
I have a large m20, stock was 42lbs with tubes and pedals. I have it setup with a coil and exo Assegai up front, moved the dissector to the rear, nobl wheels, lyrik up front, it’s just under 42lb with pedals.

A buddy just got a medium h15, stock with pedals was 47lbs, he upgraded to xt brakes, kashima front and rear suspension, we are one carbon wheels, Assegai up front, one up carbon bars and its 46.6lbs now with pedals

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I have a large M10. Tubeless setup and a titanium rail WTB saddle as the only real changes from stock. Weight with pedals is 40 lbs even.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Medium M-team, 40 lbs even with pedals (Hope F20 flats), stock except for: setup tubless (with the stock tires), 203mm Galfer floating front rotor and appropriate Shimano caliper spacer, Timberbell, Garmin Edge 830 on a Barfly mount, Fox 36 fender, and a Rockstop downtube guard.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Remember that most quoted bike weights are without pedals. So they *can* be accurate, they're just leaving a huge chunk of weight out. For the M-LTD in particular some other cheats:
  • It has lame foam grips
  • The front Rekon is absurdly light (780g) for a 2.6" tire; but it's a terrible front tire (although ironically the rear Rekon is absurdly heavy for a 2.4" at 880g)
  • 125mm dropper in all sizes
My large 2021 M-LTD was ~38.54 lbs stock w/ pedals. I got it down to 37.3 lbs upgraded with Roval Control SL wheels and a KS LEV CI dropper, also carrying a tool kit in the head tube. So you're look at ~36.5 with no pedals.

My wife's small 2022 H30 was 45.71 lbs stock with no pedals. It's down to 44.88 with pedals after a few upgrades (slightly lighter wheels - the stock wheels are 2250g, lighter rotors (stock rotors shouldn't be on a mountain bike), and Shimano cranks).

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I’m quite convinced the carbon is totally worth it. Just trying to work out, in the real world if the higher spec builds have proper weight savings. She’s a blue run cruiser and doesn’t care for XTR over SLX, performance wise, but if it really helped to keep the weight down that makes it attractive.
Keep in mind the carbon Rises come with a 360wh battery and the aluminum ones are 540wh.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Hey! I am a female in the Vancouver area as well. I went from a 2021 Turbo Levo (base model) to a rise M20, upgraded to more dh focussed tubeless tires, added a fox 36, oneup paddles and oneup carbon bars. My partner has a Norco Range A1.

Even though the Levo is one of the lighter bikes, I feel a significant difference with the M20. First of all, I can get it on our bike rack so easily lol. Second of al it just… handles so nicely. It is much more poppy then my levo was. I don’t have a scale to weigh the bike but its a huuuge difference to me.

The range us more enough unless you always climb in boost and dont want to peddle at all.

I live in the Port Moody area, she’s welcome to come check it out sometime - I have a small though.

She should contact James at Obsession bikes, he is amazing at sourcing Orbea bikes. I got mone from the ebike shop in Kelowna as they had stock and at the time a really good discount.

Last edited:

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
My wife's medium m20 weighs just under 39lbs +/- with a few part changes: Carbon bars, TI rail saddle, oneup 180mm dropper, 1800g wheelset, GX Eagle, 2.6 dhr2 front - 2.6 rekon rear.

My XL m20 is now fully upgraded: Fox 36 factory, float X, wheelset, 29x2.5 tires, GX Eagle w/SLX Cassette, code rsc brakes, cushcore etc etc. and it weighs 45 lbs without the range extender (photo was taken before the float X went on, it weighs 45 with the float x)

69DMvz4.jpg

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
What?!?! A bike manufacturer rounded down on the weight to make the bike seem a little lighter??? That has NEVER happened before. Bike weights from ANY manufacturer should be considered a bit suspect and lower than found in the real world. I think they fill the frame and tubes with helium at the factory and then weight them, but it leaks out by the time a real user gets the bike.
Motorcycles are no different. Weigh any dirt bike and it will always be a few pounds heavier than the claimed "dry weight". I've never understood the reasoning behind advertising "dry" weight of a moto anyway. I sure as heck can't ride the thing with no oil or gas, but the manufacturers claimed weight is ALWAYS lower than in the real world. Gotta love marketing.

Last edited:

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
What?!?! A bike manufacturer rounded down on the weight to make the bike seem a little lighter??? That has NEVER happened before. Bike weights from ANY manufacturer should be considered a bit suspect and lower than found in the real world. I think they fill the frame and tubes with helium at the factory and then weight them, but it leaks out by the time a real user gets the bike.
Motorcycles are no different. Weigh any dirt bike and it will always be a few pounds heavier than the claimed "dry weight". I've never understood the reasoning behind advertising "dry" weight of a moto anyway. I sure as heck can't ride the thing with no oil or gas, but the manufacturers claimed weight is ALWAYS lower than in the real world. Gotta love marketing.
Just like they always weigh MTBs with NO PEDALS! How the hell are you meant to get anywhere unless you live at the top of an endless hill.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Exactly!!! I don't enjoy riding my bike without pedals. I'd love to live at the top of the endless hill (where is that by the way?), but even then, a little bump gets pretty uncomfortable without pedals. I get it, different pedals weigh differently, but at the very least, put some lighter weight pedals on and weight the dang thing.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
My fully custom Rise H15 with Factory 36, DHX2 w/ 700lb coil, XT m8120's w/ Magura MDR-P 220/203 Rotors, RF NextR 31 wheelset/ NextR 35 Bars, Turbine R 50mm stem, Sram X01 Shifter. Derailleur, & Chain, GX Eagle cassette. Specialized Power Pro Elaston 143 Saddle, OneUp V2 210mm Dropper, Crank Brothers Mallet E pedals and Maxxis DHF/Dissector 29x2.6" Tires weighs in at 20.54kg or 45.29lbs. (No Pedals it's 44.36lbs/20.12kg)

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
My large M10 stock with tubes and pedals was 19kg. That was the dissector and rekon combo. Slightly heavier than I was expecting, bit I don't really mind.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Not sure I understand or agree with the complaints about stated weights not including pedals. The whole point of publishing a spec like weight is to make it comparable to other models. What is your proposal? Every brand should publish weights with pedals? In that case, for the numbers to make any sense you would at least want everyone to use the same pedals for their stated weights. Good luck with that. So what do they use? Flats? SPDs? Composite? Alloy? Their own brand? The only pedals that matter are the ones you are personally going to run; just weigh the pedals you like and add that number to published bike weights. Simple. As others have pointed out, manufacturers rounding their stated weights probably makes a bigger difference in the accuracy of the published weight than the impact of adding arbitrary pedals to the measurement...

As for the comment about manufacturers publishing dry weights for motorcycles, it is true that they could publish fully wet weights as well and leave it up to the customers to figure out the impact of differences in things like fuel/oil capacity on the wet weight when comparing between models. But come on, most of us will admit that when we use the bathroom scale to measure our body weight, we're also doing a 'dry' weight: first thing in the morning, after taking a piss/dump, before getting dressed, and before having breakfast. For obvious reasons: the best case condition always sounds better than the nominal case condition when it comes to weight.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Not sure I understand or agree with the complaints about stated weights not including pedals. The whole point of publishing a spec like weight is to make it comparable to other models. What is your proposal? Every brand should publish weights with pedals? In that case, for the numbers to make any sense you would at least want everyone to use the same pedals for their stated weights. Good luck with that. So what do they use? Flats? SPDs? Composite? Alloy? Their own brand? The only pedals that matter are the ones you are personally going to run; just weigh the pedals you like and add that number to published bike weights. Simple. As others have pointed out, manufacturers rounding their stated weights probably makes a bigger difference in the accuracy of the published weight than the impact of adding arbitrary pedals to the measurement...

As for the comment about manufacturers publishing dry weights for motorcycles, it is true that they could publish fully wet weights as well and leave it up to the customers to figure out the impact of differences in things like fuel/oil capacity on the wet weight when comparing between models. But come on, most of us will admit that when we use the bathroom scale to measure our body weight, we're also doing a 'dry' weight: first thing in the morning, after taking a piss/dump, before getting dressed, and before having breakfast. For obvious reasons: the best case condition always sounds better than the nominal case condition when it comes to weight.
I agree with everything you said. Was going to post similar but didn't have the motivation

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
As for the comment about manufacturers publishing dry weights for motorcycles, it is true that they could publish fully wet weights as well and leave it up to the customers to figure out the impact of differences in things like fuel/oil capacity on the wet weight when comparing between models.

Moto Guzzi went well beyong listing wet weight with their stelvio - they included all 32 litres of fuel, the pannier racks, alloy panniers, crash bars, bash plates, even spot lights. All the magazine articles start with an absurd comment about the weight magically disappearing once under way and the bike somehow feeling lighter than the opposition. That's because it WAS lighter in comparable spec, but 250 kg fully kitted sounds more that 220 kg dry , especially without an extra 50 kg of accessories. They're a collectors item now because nobody bought them

Julie

May 24, 2020
San Diego
Just weighed her on Park scale. LTD size Small, mostly stock, but Assegai on the front instead of the Rekon it came with, and with XT Shimano pedals and a WTB Rocket seat. 38 lbs on the button. I am a small rider. 64 inches and 115 lbs. I thought my Turbo Levo was going to kill me. Too big, too heavy, too light in the front and too powerful. I love my Rise !!!! It has plenty of power for someone my size and it feels much more like real mountain biking. Now if only it had 27.5 wheels….

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I am a tall skinny guy, 64 YO and i am simply sharing my opinion.
If i enjoy my 53 pounds FS Ebike anyone can.
I loved a lighter HT 3 years ago but i love this one.
I am a distance person no power and absolutely no power upper body power.
Ebikes just ride better for us light weights, the suspension is way better.
2 more 5 more pounds are no problem.
Tell her it is 39 pounds if she prefers that.
Tires should grip enough, i enjoy 3.0 but trust me 200 grams makes no difference.
My moto is ***ride more*** that is free and upgrades all your bike

Last edited:

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Some awesome follow up posts! Thanks. She lives in Squamish and has a M-Ltd en-route as we speak. Husband is a little pissed $17k CAD delivered LOL. He can afford it.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Just noticed your user name. I used to have a Husky 430. Beast of a bike. Loved it at the time.
Yeah me too, hence the name, raced vintage MX for about 20 years but then road a emtb, sold all my old mx bikes to fund the emtb. Mate still has the 430 and races it still, he loves it and rates the motor as a classic. I don't miss it as mtb riding gives all the adrenalin with out all the fuss that mx brings.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Some awesome follow up posts! Thanks. She lives in Squamish and has a M-Ltd en-route as we speak. Husband is a little pissed $17k CAD delivered LOL. He can afford it.

Thats awesome!! If she needs a female Rise riding buddy one day, let me know.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
@Pdoz I don't think confusion over the weight was the Stelvio's impediment to sales. Or at least not the most significant problem. The Aprilia Caponord was another similarly competent (and light relative to the competition) adventure touring bike that struggled to sell. Size of the dealer network, perceptions of reliability, and availability of parts (both OEM replacement and aftermarket support) are significant considerations for Adv touring customers (more so than for sport bikes for example). It's not surprising that Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta and Aprilia have all struggled to sell in that segment when there are so many well established benchmark models in that category from BMW, Ducati and KTM. But I digress...back to discussing bicycles...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles