Action Team 140 or 160 ?

Aerialmark

Oct 8, 2021
Uk
Hi I’m new here but have been emtbing for 3 years. I have had 2 Emtbs ( both Cube and both 29ers ) my latest which is 2 years old now has been a faithful servant with anything that I’ve thrown at it. Im just coming up 60 but still like to leave my brain on the sideboard occasionally and go off piste. I also ride coast to coast for various charity’s so a lot of road & mild track.
I am just in the process of ordering a 2022 action team and would like your educated thoughts on witch one I should go for. The 160 or 140 ? As most of you know the 140 comes with 29” wheels and the 160 with 27.5 but better travel. What are your thoughts please ?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
need more info. how tall are you? based on what I think I know i'd be leaning towards the 140mm

what are the last 2 you have been riding?

Aerialmark

Oct 8, 2021
Uk
Hi, I’m 6ft tall. My latest is a Cube Stereo 140 hpc and my first was a Cube hardtail.

MtbWalker

Jul 31, 2021
Wolverhampton
Glad I’ve seen this post! I was just looking at the same bikes and was wondering why they don’t do a 29er in the 160? Im 6ft3 and was leaning towards the 160 as I don’t think the 140 travel will be enough for me.

Aerialmark

Oct 8, 2021
Uk
Hi, I’m sure someone will know the answer to that. I would have gone for a 160 with 29” wheels. I’m think other makes do one ?

MtbWalker

Jul 31, 2021
Wolverhampton
Hi, I’m sure someone will know the answer to that. I would have gone for a 160 with 29” wheels. I’m think other makes do one ?
Yee I have looked at other models but when you factor in everything I don’t think you can beat the cube. My other option was the haibike allmtn 7 but the problem with cracked frames put me right off!

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Think the 27.5 wheels is to try and make it quicker turning and more agile according to the cube website ive ordered a 160 sl no idea when it will be in stock no dates for delivery yet

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Local lbs jejames i placed my order the 1st day after bosch announced the bigger battery so was hoping to get one of the 1st ones whenever that will be

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Hi, I’m 6ft tall. My latest is a Cube Stereo 140 hpc and my first was a Cube hardtail.

If you currently have the 140 do you ever feel like you need more travel?

I'm 6ft and 220+lbs, have the Cube Stereo 140 HPC, and everything I throw at it is fine.
I spent some time getting the setup right with volume spacers, but I honestly can't say I feel like I need more travel, even when doing Dalby red route etc...

160 with the smaller wheels would be slightly more agile if you do some insane downhill stuff, but I much prefer the 29er for rolling over smaller dips.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Looking online I can see a few bike shops are saying February for the 160 action team model
Ive seen that mate its not good reading cube uk were not helpful either i spoke to customer services and they said they only speak to the dealers so ask them but the dealers get the bikes from cube so no help whatsoever. All i wanted to know was when the model ive ordered is due to come onto the productiin line its not a difficult thing to answer never mind

MtbWalker

Jul 31, 2021
Wolverhampton
Ive seen that mate its not good reading cube uk were not helpful either i spoke to customer services and they said they only speak to the dealers so ask them but the dealers get the bikes from cube so no help whatsoever. All i wanted to know was when the model ive ordered is due to come onto the productiin line its not a difficult thing to answer never mind
I’m going to give my local a message tomorrow and try and find out where we are at. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Ive just sold my 140mm full sus bike after 3 years and want to upgrade to something i can use to improve my riding with progression hence the move to the 160 sl

Aerialmark

Oct 8, 2021
Uk
If you currently have the 140 do you ever feel like you need more travel?

I'm 6ft and 220+lbs, have the Cube Stereo 140 HPC, and everything I throw at it is fine.
I spent some time getting the setup right with volume spacers, but I honestly can't say I feel like I need more travel, even when doing Dalby red route etc...

160 with the smaller wheels would be slightly more agile if you do some insane downhill stuff, but I much prefer the 29er for rolling over smaller dips.
Hi Phil. Just sometimes I do but it’s not the norm.
It maybe down to the set up on my bike.
Most of the time I run out of talent before I run out of suspension travel.

Aerialmark

Oct 8, 2021
Uk
Just to add I am leaning towards the 140 action team just for the fact I do more trail miles than tricky fast downhill miles and I do like a 29”wheel.
I was told Saturday that they are expecting 2 140 Action teams in at the end of January beginning of February and that I can pay a deposit and put my name on the last one. The 2 160 Action teams are already sold. I will have to let them know this week.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I think that's a good choice - I definitely prefer the 29er for trails.

I'd definitely recommend setting your sag as recommended then going for a ride and looking at how much travel you use. Adding a few volume spacers in the front and increasing the volume spacer at the back transformed my bike. It's much more plush now yet progressive so it doesn't bottom out

MtbWalker

Jul 31, 2021
Wolverhampton
Nice 1 appreciate that whats your local shop?
Gone with leisurelakes in West Brom as they said they are due in a 160 in XL in January. Deposit is down. He said they are usually good with the times and if it does slip it’s only a couple a weeks, but has seen it be up to 2 months. Fingers crossed.

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
Hi I’m new here but have been emtbing for 3 years. I have had 2 Emtbs ( both Cube and both 29ers ) my latest which is 2 years old now has been a faithful servant with anything that I’ve thrown at it. Im just coming up 60 but still like to leave my brain on the sideboard occasionally and go off piste. I also ride coast to coast for various charity’s so a lot of road & mild track.
I am just in the process of ordering a 2022 action team and would like your educated thoughts on witch one I should go for. The 160 or 140 ? As most of you know the 140 comes with 29” wheels and the 160 with 27.5 but better travel. What are your thoughts please ?
Hello, I own a Stereo 160 TM 2020 as well and I could tell you my opinion: the 160 is not an Enduro bike you probably think due to the travel. It is agile, that’s right, but It is more a comfortable bike for moderate riding than for rough trails. That‘s why they have changed the rear construction (do not find a better word in English🙂) for the next model 2022 and hopefully it will be better. I know 140 drivers as well and they are very happy. They are good on moderate tours but on trails as well. So my advice: wait for first test results of the 2022 model. If the rear suspension really has improved, go for it. If not (and perhaps the better bike at all) the 140.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles