A new recruit to the Zimmerframe School of MTB Riding...

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
thats gonna be tight for a while I imagine
let us know how you get on with them pads.. I was about to buy the 7protection project knee pads but still unsure if they will fit under riding trousers and the Fox ones look pretty slimline
Both sets of pads fit fine under my Leatt long sleeved top and cycling trousers (Altura). ?

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
that looks horrible, glad your healing up nicely. I'm guessing I'll be more likely to put on my knee pads more often. Right now I'm really needing something for my ribs as I took a doozie the other day myself. Still hurts to breathe...

@Zimmerframe has some great reviews of MTB protection.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Bugger. I did mine like that - because it was my knee, I had to wait quite a while. Have to be extra careful not to pull stitches out too :(. If you're a pussy like me I recommend taking your own stitches out. Soak your knee in a hot bath; just before you get out, remove the stitches, you shouldn't feel anything. Everytime I've had stitches removed by a doctor or nurse, they've been crusty and hard - like pulling encrusted wire through your skin :(

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Bugger. I did mine like that - because it was my knee, I had to wait quite a while. Have to be extra careful not to pull stitches out too :(. If you're a pussy like me I recommend taking your own stitches out. Soak your knee in a hot bath; just before you get out, remove the stitches, you shouldn't feel anything. Everytime I've had stitches removed by a doctor or nurse, they've been crusty and hard - like pulling encrusted wire through your skin :(

Those sutures are synthetic, so a simple pre soak with antiseptic and strategic / correct cut by the nurse / dr is going to be a lot better than ripping open the wound by an untrained person. But you're welcome to provide your medical insurance details to the op if you disagree.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Those sutures are synthetic, so a simple pre soak with antiseptic and strategic / correct cut by the nurse / dr is going to be a lot better than ripping open the wound by an untrained person. But you're welcome to provide your medical insurance details to the op if you disagree.
Agreed. For example, where, exactly, would you cut this type of stitch? And… What would you use to cut this type of synthetic stitch? What works first time and is sterile (no, sloshing on some gin doesn’t work ???). From U.K., where any opportunity to encourage self care is promoted as the fiscal issue for the NHS staff is too many patients for not enough resources. But the best way to use resources for this is to get it right first time….. Another snotty, but kind and true reply, sorry ?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I had some stitches just above my eye brow after a face plant. I went to my GP to get them out and they handed me over to a new assistant to do the job. After quite a while and lots of pain, the doctor came in and took over. Turned out the assistant was trying to pull the knot through the wound!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Your bike mechanic must get a lot of work :rolleyes:

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I thought I was well protected with a helmet and knee pads, obviously not. So have ordered this, just to be safe....

DB09D050-5364-41A4-8003-518CBE3B4A60.jpeg

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
scissors from a swiss army knife. Stitches are soft and loose and cut easy. Really though, if you're asking these things, please don't do it. You're scaring me - how do you guys get through life?
HaHaHa! I do wonder sometimes ?????????

And I certainly don’t seem to get through life without lots of stitches and inserts (bone graft and a plate so far ?)

Those blue stitches (synthetic monofilament generically called monocryl) will be harder to snip than they look….

A U.K. nurse would use this gnarly thing if you came in ???

E4519219-3BCF-44A6-9BCD-07B60452820C.jpeg

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Lol, I’m trying to get through life with the least amount of stitches as possible!! ?
What and miss out on all the fun? ?

We used to have a mantra when skiing - if you haven't fallen, you haven't tried hard enough! ;) In other words, you weren't pushing your limits. Some people are comfortable with that...

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
What and miss out on all the fun? ?

We used to have a mantra when skiing - if you haven't fallen, you haven't tried hard enough! ;) In other words, you weren't pushing your limits. Some people are comfortable with that...
Seriously though, more or less every time I push my limits it goes wrong! ??
And the rocks seem to hurt so much more than the snow!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
HaHaHa! I do wonder sometimes ?????????

And I certainly don’t seem to get through life without lots of stitches and inserts (bone graft and a plate so far ?)

Those blue stitches (synthetic monofilament generically called monocryl) will be harder to snip than they look….

A U.K. nurse would use this gnarly thing if you came in ???

View attachment 60670
They're universal I think (suture cutters). The nurse gave me one after putting the stitches in, when I told her I'd take them out myself (been doing it for a while). She also gave me two haemostats and a pair of scissors, new stainless steel! The health system here has decided that autoclaving is more expensive than replacing used instruments. I have a collection of clamps now.

I've found that the scissors on swiss army knife are much better. I look after the scissors though; they haven't been abused. Incidentally, those cutters really tug if the stitches haven't been soaked and you have to try and dig them under the crusty sutures that are usually embedded, especially on a knee. The soaking really makes things a lot easier, as do the sak scissors. And you're not exposing yourself to superbugs by going back into the hospital / doctor. Last stint I had in hospital I was next to a dude who had methycillin resistant staphylococcus aureus - there's only one known anti biotic left that will work with that, and it hits the body pretty hard, as does methycillin. It's not a rare infection any more and you pretty much only get it in hospitals - along with many other super bugs.

Last edited:

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I have a collection of clamps now.
I have a couple I bought to use in my out of hospital kit when I was the medic for a big motorcycle race club; now I use them for all sorts of fiddly jobs in my workshop: brilliant things.
Going back to motorcycle racers, they were genuinely mental and no doubt still are — apologies for the incomprehensible medical term ?. I have unrepeatable stories galore, a few exceptionally sad, but mainly hilarious and, frankly, unbelievable ?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
They're universal I think (suture cutters). The nurse gave me one after putting the stitches in, when I told her I'd take them out myself (been doing it for a while). She also gave me two haemostats and a pair of scissors, new stainless steel! The health system here has decided that autoclaving is more expensive than replacing used instruments. I have a collection of clamps now.

I've found that the scissors on swiss army knife are much better. I look after the scissors though; they haven't been abused. Incidentally, those cutters really tug if the stitches haven't been soaked and you have to try and dig them under the crusty sutures that are usually embedded, especially on a knee. The soaking really makes things a lot easier, as do the sak scissors. And you're not exposing yourself to superbugs by going back into the hospital / doctor. Last stint I had in hospital I was next to a dude who had methycillin resistant staphylococcus aureus - there's only one known anti biotic left that will work with that, and it hits the body pretty hard, as does methycillin. It's not a rare infection any more and you pretty much only get it in hospitals - along with many other super bugs.

Just keeping this up here for the court case when he gets a multi resistant pseudomonas septic arthritis from that bath tub

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have a couple I bought to use in my out of hospital kit when I was the medic for a big motorcycle race club; now I use them for all sorts of fiddly jobs in my workshop: brilliant things.
Going back to motorcycle racers, they were genuinely mental and no doubt still are — apologies for the incomprehensible medical term ?. I have unrepeatable stories galore, a few exceptionally sad, but mainly hilarious and, frankly, unbelievable ?
They are awesome, but for true portability re medical things, the pliers on the swiss army knife are also really good ?. If you need a clamp you can improvise with a rubber band (on the pliers). I've used them for stitching and again for pulling stitches out. Also good for fine tweezer type stuff like pulling out splinters and various things out of tyres. I no longer have a need to carry sutures (closer to home), but still keep a sak in my kits. I like the handyman - it also has woodsaw, hacksaw / file, and reamer for drilling holes. It's amazing what you can fix or manufacture with this. The big driver blade is a good lever - good for pushing pots back, among other things.

handyman.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles