A Crazy Situation (In Need of Advice)

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Oh, that's weird. I know MC is a big Canada thing. Here, you really can't contact Visa/MC at all.

My experience in the past has been that you just compile all the emails and files that you have, and add a narrative to explain it.
I hope its that easy and I hope I get some sort of resolution with mastercard. To be fair, this wasn't my mistake and I shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops just because Canyon messed up. Everything from taking the bike back apart, boxing it back up and having to deal with the return procedure. Not to mention the possibility of not getting my duties and taxes back. The process involved with that seems like a nightmare and who knows if that doesn't get skewed somehow. Trying to keep it hasn't been fun either but in the end, hopefully I will have a fully functioning bike I can go rip around on.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
To be fair, this wasn't my mistake and I shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops just because Canyon messed up.

Absolutely. You should have to expend the LEAST effort in all of this, and get everything back. They should be bending over backwards on their multiple mistakes. Don't apologize, you have already lost massive time even if you get all the dollars back.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Absolutely. You should have to expend the LEAST effort in all of this, and get everything back. They should be bending over backwards on their multiple mistakes. Don't apologize, you have already lost massive time even if you get all the dollars back.
So mastercard is saying I'm screwed because Canyon is willing to offer me a full refund on the product. The duties and taxes are a separate entity and does not reflect on them. So let that be a lesson I guess. NEVER buy from Canyon again! Should have just bought the Commencal Meta Power like I originally intended to do but the Torque ON just looked a bit nicer and was a better value. Oh well.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
So mastercard is saying I'm screwed because Canyon is willing to offer me a full refund on the product. The duties and taxes are a separate entity and does not reflect on them. So let that be a lesson I guess. NEVER buy from Canyon again! Should have just bought the Commencal Meta Power like I originally intended to do but the Torque ON just looked a bit nicer and was a better value. Oh well.
That is a bummer but I can't say I am surprised. You DO still have the option to return all the batteries and the bike. I can understand your reluctance that the taxes could end up being a pain, but the only Canyon owner I know had his BB come un-bonded from the frame and needed a warranty replacement, they then "warrantied" it with a previous model year frame which seemed pretty crappy to me, but essentially I think you are taking a risk assuming that you aren't going to need warranty if you keep it.
Better to miss riding time now in the winter while you sort this out properly and get a bike with a warranty, than have an issue in the summer and miss riding time then with no option for warranty anyway...
I totally understand that this is not what you want to hear with a shiny new bike sitting in front of you almost ready to go but you may regret it if you dont.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
That is a bummer but I can't say I am surprised. You DO still have the option to return all the batteries and the bike. I can understand your reluctance that the taxes could end up being a pain, but the only Canyon owner I know had his BB come un-bonded from the frame and needed a warranty replacement, they then "warrantied" it with a previous model year frame which seemed pretty crappy to me, but essentially I think you are taking a risk assuming that you aren't going to need warranty if you keep it.
Better to miss riding time now in the winter while you sort this out properly and get a bike with a warranty, than have an issue in the summer and miss riding time then with no option for warranty anyway...
I totally understand that this is not what you want to hear with a shiny new bike sitting in front of you almost ready to go but you may regret it if you dont.
I can still return it but I'm already knee deep in the crap lol. Why not dive right in? Joking aside, I should be ok without warranty. The only thing that would be concerning would be any frame issues but I have an uncle that welds for a living and he would have no issues tackling any problem I may encounter. And I've already shipped back the one incorrect battery that I got (ordered based on the battery mentioned on the U.S. site) and have (hopefully) the right one coming now. This should be the end of it. Knock on wood.

KCMitch

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
Nice, thanks for offer! Not sure when I will have the funds to get a second battery because they cost an arm and a leg but I'm wondering if I should stock up on some replacement bearings? Like the proprietary stuff? Or are they universal fit and can be bought anywhere as long as you know the size? And you're right, the Torque ON is one good looking ride. So much so I didn't want to return it lol.

View attachment 104384
I bought multiple bikes in Germany and when I was back in the states all the parts were universal. Now I’m back over here and bought two more bikes. Like I said in the pm I sent you I had a warranty issue with my Bosch motor and I had to sent it back to the states who got a replacement from Germany then shipped it back to me in Germany. It took a while so I went and bought a gravel bike while I was waiting for it. Didn’t make my wife happy but it did me.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Well, good news. New battery arrived this morning and popped it in and everything appears to be working as it should. Linked it up to the e-tube app and performed some updates as well. But... I plugged it in to charge and was messing with the bike not realizing that the crank arms were applying pressure to the plug in the port and I broke the plug-in mount on the bike. Yup, the plastic broke off right at both fasteners. Now it just dangles. One look at it and I couldn't believe how thin the plastic was. So it's either crazy glue or replace the charging port. If it isn't one thing, it's another lol.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Jeez. You don’t have much luck do you? LOL. I’m really pleased this battery worked out for you, apart from the added the stress you have ended up with a sick bike an an awesome price.
Ya I'm glad this battery works. I might get a second one as a backup/longer rides. My plan is to store them around 50% charge when not in use and only charge them fully the night before I'm going out. This should extend battery life, no? As for my luck, not sure why this bike is giving me grief lol.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
2 steps forward one step back, at least you've got a bike thats rideable now (y)
Ya I'm so happy, relieved and kinda bummed that I broke something already. But I can't wait to try it out. The weather in southern Ontario Canada is really crappy right now. Rainy and temp is only 4 C. Hopefully soon :)

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
I do something similar. Most of my rides only use around 40-50% so I store it like that and then top off before I ride.
Good to know. Would you happen to know what kind of range I would be looking at for a 504 Wh battery? I know it depends alot on the total weight, size of tires, what mode you use etc, but I am thinking of only using eco mode for the majority of my rides and cranking it up on the climbs as that is what I struggle with the most. They aren't crazy climbs to say the least but enough to force me off the bike and push lol. I don't want the bike to make it too easy, I still prefer to get a sweat going (y)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Good to know. Would you happen to know what kind of range I would be looking at for a 504 Wh battery? I know it depends alot on the total weight, size of tires, what mode you use etc, but I am thinking of only using eco mode for the majority of my rides and cranking it up on the climbs as that is what I struggle with the most. They aren't crazy climbs to say the least but enough to force me off the bike and push lol. I don't want the bike to make it too easy, I still prefer to get a sweat going (y)
3000-4000 feet of climbing I would say. Maybe more if you are really miserly with the power or are especially light weight.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
3000-4000 feet of climbing I would say. Maybe more if you are really miserly with the power or are especially light weight.
Thats about a kilometer or a bit more. Doesn't sound like alot really. Too bad there wasn't a higher capacity battery option. Guess a second battery is a must. But I'm going to try the trails out in my area first before I get another. Just to see what I get. The thought of backpacking a spare battery doesn't sound too appealing though.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thats about a kilometer or a bit more. Doesn't sound like alot really. Too bad there wasn't a higher capacity battery option. Guess a second battery is a must. But I'm going to try the trails out in my area first before I get another. Just to see what I get. The thought of backpacking a spare battery doesn't sound too appealing though.
I have a 625wh battery and I bought a spare 500wh battery for those really big days. I leave the 500wh battery in the car and swap over at lunch time.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Hey Canyon...I hope you're reading this garbage you worthless pricks. All the guy was trying to do was buy one of your bikes. He ended up with a pile of shit and endless problems. GUESS WHAT BIKE BRAND I WILL NEVER BUY?? That's right...a pile of problems called Canyon. You should rename your company...BUY-OUR-SHIT-AND REGRET-IT.

In short Canyon, kiss our collective asses you miserable excuse making pricks.

PS...if you were as good at supporting your bikes as you are at making BS excuses, you'd have a great company.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
My plan is to store them around 50% charge when not in use and only charge them fully the night before I'm going out. This should extend battery life, no?

Holy shit on the rest of your "luck."

I happen to have a lot of experience and research in the battery area. I've worked with electronics all my life, and have an RC addichobby that requires careful battery management. I also have a Tesla that I kinda micro-manage and am very interested in knowing everything about it. Lithium batteries will indeed last longest if you don't keep them at 100%, and even better if you never go to 100%. In an ideal world, we'd all use something like the Luna charger that can charge at a low rate, and only to 80%. You'd probably double your battery life with that. Second-best would be to top it off just before leaving for a ride, as you said.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Holy shit on the rest of your "luck."

I happen to have a lot of experience and research in the battery area. I've worked with electronics all my life, and have an RC addichobby that requires careful battery management. I also have a Tesla that I kinda micro-manage and am very interested in knowing everything about it. Lithium batteries will indeed last longest if you don't keep them at 100%, and even better if you never go to 100%. In an ideal world, we'd all use something like the Luna charger that can charge at a low rate, and only to 80%. You'd probably double your battery life with that. Second-best would be to top it off just before leaving for a ride, as you said.
What you are saying seems to coincide with what I've read elsewhere. That if you can limit the charge %, then it should be utilized. My Surface tablet has a setting which stops charging at 50%, my laptop cuts out at 80% and my Samsung phone stops at 85%. All of which I take advantage of. It's good that these companies are giving you the option to do this but then you are charging more frequently because you cant use your device for as long. Where technology advancement seems to have plateaued, it seems like the battery department could use a much needed revamp.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Yeah, my MacBook Pro is hovering at 78% since it's used as a desktop 95% of the time. The iPhone does a neat thing; charges to 80 as I sleep, and holds there, then charges to 100% shortly before I wake up, based on what it has learned over time.

My Lenovo Yoga is far less intelligent and seems to go to 100 every time. But it's used only a few hours here and there, so little, it may not be able to learn a routine. I can't do my job on Windows, so it's more of a toy. The lack of smarts on this is disappointing though.

Batteries are still evolving fast, but it takes a long time to move into bicycles. If you feel curious, google the Tesla 4680 batteries, which are indeed a huge leap. But "huge" is relative; while some tech is doubling in ability every year (IE, Apple M processors) battery tech is gaining something like 10% or less. Just the nature of physics.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Well here's a little update.

I ended up getting an email from Trustpilot in regards to leaving a review/feedback on this purchase. Naturally, I didn't give them a glowing review. It was maybe a day later that I received another email from Canyon stating that after reviewing my case further, they were willing to help and locate a battery for me. They asked me to contact Velofix (Canyon uses them here in Canada) and that they would either help me get a battery or reimburse me if I already found one. I contacted Velofix and they basically said that they couldn't help with my request. I forwarded that info to Canyon as well and I told them that I had already purchased one. I included a copy in pdf form of my receipt. Hadn't heard anything from them within the last 2 days but when I checked my online credit card history this morning, I noticed that they had credited the full cost of the battery. Well wasn't that a pleasant surprise! I'm glad they did the right thing but it sucks that I wasn't getting anywhere with them until I had left a negative review. But I do feel better and has sort of put my faith back into the brand. I will also do the right thing and see if I can update my review with Trustpilot. I realize it has been a headache from the start but they did do the right thing in the end. Now I am waiting on nicer weather so I can finally take this thing out for a spin lol.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Good that you got some money out of them for the battery you had to buy, but bad that it took so much hassle to get it resolved. I suspect the team that monitors trustpilot is separate from the canyon customer service line, and it appears they (the trustpilot monitoring team) have more leeway to offer solutions to customers who have problems than the team manning the customer service lines.

Not a good impression for canyon to give though.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I would send them an email thanking them and then include a link to this website and thread. They can see first hand what people who actually buy emtb's think of their company...good, bad or other.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Pretty good news. My personal policy in cases like this is to up the rating by a star or two, and add an update at the top of the review, but leave the original review in place. I find this useful when I read reviews, so that I know that there are potential issues, and how they later resolve them.

DrJohnnyFever74

Jan 6, 2023
Ontario, Canada
So you have to eat dirt before they do the right thing and that puts your faith back in the brand?

Sorry, can't see that.
"Sort of". It will have to be something so good that I just can't pass up lol. It takes alot for me to hold a grudge. I have a forgive and forget mentality. Always have. Life is too short :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles