625 Battery Life

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
Just been on a debut ride on the Stereo 140 TM - what great suspension that bike has! So supple.
The only ‘issue’, if you can call it that, is battery life. I rode lanes, trails, hills... 2hrs 48 mins, 27.4 miles and 2730ft and a single mile left at the end. Is this standard because it’s going to mess my plans for a multi day ride that is 75 miles a day. I knew I’d need to recharge somewhere, but not twice!
Thanks...
F0257D17-E59A-4D8B-A19A-B3ACA1C8F380.jpeg

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
Yes, just remembered I hadn’t stated that. 90% was spent in Touring. Once used Turbo for about 20 seconds. Eco a little bit but that was hard work really and I’d rather use my Specialized Enduro.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
I weigh 85kg, My wife weighs 55kg and could probably go twice a far as me. Body weight makes a significant difference.

Weather makes a difference. i.e. Dry vs Muddy as extremes. A big difference just like an analogue bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
You'll probably need to buy a spare battery to carry in your back pack on those big days, or possibly look at a bike that can carry 2 batteries, I know the orbea wild fs can take up to 1125wh of batteries.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
It varies alot depending on ground conditions,steepness etc. Boggy stuff seems to drain it in no time.

Just back from a ride today, 30 miles,2628feet. 24 miles tar backroads, 6 miles boggy singletrack.
Im 76kg, and i carry a spare battery+backpack with tools/water/jacket etc. So another 6-7kg maybe.
I rode mostly in Emtb mode.

I started with 4 bars,finished with 1 bar and 3 miles range in Emtb mode.

Also done 38 miles a couple weekends ago, far more boggy miles and 3184ft ascent. Started with 5 bars, finished with 3, probably closer to two.
Except on that ride i stuck to eco/tour mostly.

Id be confident getting 75 miles on 2 625's, but i think 1 would be a stretch unless its fairly flat and hard ground, with big sections of Eco/off.

Last edited:

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Yes, just remembered I hadn’t stated that. 90% was spent in Touring. Once used Turbo for about 20 seconds. Eco a little bit but that was hard work really and I’d rather use my Specialized Enduro.
If you ride for a bit with the motor off to start with and then pop it into Eco, you soon realise how much assistance it really does offer you.

I found this at the forest of Dean a few months ago. Mate was on an analogue, so kept the motor off as much as possible and just popped it into eco when I really needed it. I used about 8% of the battery on the blue route.

red route was a combination of the same but with the occasional jaunt into EMTB mode to help me up the steepest parts. Overall, with both red and blue routes complete, I had 79% of the battery left back in the carpark.

not only was it a good workout but knew I had plenty in the tank left and battery, had we been bothered to either go round again or hit some of the downhill routes (analogue riders - they just can’t handle a second lap) ?

you soon get used to battery management when riding, depending on the ride that day. I’ll always ‘turbo‘ blast my local route but that’s only about 10 miles ?

lovely looking bike by the way - I wasnt sure about the 2021 colour for the TM but looks great in your photo ?

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
Thanks Keith, I’ll be riding those trails fairly often as well as the other trails up there. I’m 107kg so the Eco mode and 25kg of the bike is a load to push. I’ll certainly give it more of a go once on proper trails rather than lanes and muddy bridleways.
Thanks, bike looks really good. I’ve removed the rather garish orange coloured grips and had the DMRs in the garage. Thankfully...

Trig, I think the main issue maybe my weight. The difference between my weight and yours is more than the weight of the bike lol. Time to lose even more weight then....

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
At least the ebike makes weight loss enjoyable! Though the higher assist modes are a constant temptation. Im weak, i dont even try and avoid emtb mode anymore unless its flat or a longer day. :)

Your bike looks good, like that color scheme. I got my cube hybrid hardtail with plans for multiday trips also, as thats what i used my previous rigid bike for. Kinda wish i got a full suspension now though, the ease of getting up hills has got me more into riding downhill stuff than i was before.

But yeah, as Keith says, you get a rough feel for battery management the more you ride.

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
For comparison, I weigh 90KG, and did about 30 miles with 2000 ft climb, and mixed including about 5 miles of sucking mud, mainly touring with a bit of eMTB and had 20 miles left on touring at the end.

so sounds about right I guess?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Thanks Keith, I’ll be riding those trails fairly often as well as the other trails up there. I’m 107kg so the Eco mode and 25kg of the bike is a load to push.
Keep at it, don't start out with the mindset you need big power, the bosch gen 4 is a power house, eco has phenomenal capabilities but if you start out high power eco becomes irrelevant.

Turn the motor off for a few miles and then treat yourself to eco (y)

I treat myself to trail mode now and again just to experience what these bikes can offer but mainly keep it in eco with the odd mile or two in off. It keeps me honest and never lets me become complacent .

I have a dream that one day i may just blast out for a 20 mile in turbo but to be honest it will never happen because of the fear i will never be able to go back to eco

:(
On a plus note the 625wh battery regularly gives me 75 miles of rides weather that be several rides or a couple of decent distance rides for my capabilities .

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Thanks Keith, I’ll be riding those trails fairly often as well as the other trails up there. I’m 107kg so the Eco mode and 25kg of the bike is a load to push. I’ll certainly give it more of a go once on proper trails rather than lanes and muddy bridleways.
Thanks, bike looks really good. I’ve removed the rather garish orange coloured grips and had the DMRs in the garage. Thankfully...

Trig, I think the main issue maybe my weight. The difference between my weight and yours is more than the weight of the bike lol. Time to lose even more weight then....

I did the exact same thing with my orange grips! ?

Swapped them out for black nukeproof grips within a day and are now gathering dust in the garage ?

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
Keep at it, don't start out with the mindset you need big power, the bosch gen 4 is a power house, eco has phenomenal capabilities but if you start out high power eco becomes irrelevant.

Turn the motor off for a few miles and then treat yourself to eco (y)

I treat myself to trail mode now and again just to experience what these bikes can offer but mainly keep it in eco with the odd mile or two in off. It keeps me honest and never lets me become complacent .

I have a dream that one day i may just blast out for a 20 mile in turbo but to be honest it will never happen because of the fear i will never be able to go back to eco:(
On a plus note the 625wh battery regularly gives me 75 miles of rides weather that be several rides or a couple of decent distance rides for my capabilities .
Wow, 75 miles seems a far-off distant dream. I will give the eco a go, but I thought I was being good just using touring lol

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
Just been on a debut ride on the Stereo 140 TM - what great suspension that bike has! So supple.
The only ‘issue’, if you can call it that, is battery life. I rode lanes, trails, hills... 2hrs 48 mins, 27.4 miles and 2730ft and a single mile left at the end. Is this standard because it’s going to mess my plans for a multi day ride that is 75 miles a day. I knew I’d need to recharge somewhere, but not twice!
Thanks... View attachment 43798
Hi, I had the first ride today on my 160TM with the wife on the Haibike ALLmtn 3.5.
Both Bosch powered, same route, fully charged 625wh battery's and we was mostly in eMtb mode. After the 24 mile circuit of Rutland water was completed I was shocked at the difference. Haibike 27miles a remaining range, cube 9miles.
Next time we are going to swap bikes see if there is a difference.
Have to agree with your comments about the suspension, best iv ever had, silky smooth.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Not had my ebike that long, a haibike hardtail bosch powered.

Went out yesterday for a planned 50 mile jaunt along the local canal. Some nice clean surfaces but mostly rutted, bumpy, wet, leave covered surface but hardly any climbing. 300ft if that.

Got 22miles covered in tour mode with range saying 13 miles left but 3 bars left on 500w battery ?!. Had expected to do better. Wasnt able to go much further because of a double puncture.:oops: My weight is 76kg.

Im going tubeless after this!

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
Hi, I had the first ride today on my 160TM with the wife on the Haibike ALLmtn 3.5.
Both Bosch powered, same route, fully charged 625wh battery's and we was mostly in eMtb mode. After the 24 mile circuit of Rutland water was completed I was shocked at the difference. Haibike 27miles a remaining range, cube 9miles.
Next time we are going to swap bikes see if there is a difference.
Have to agree with your comments about the suspension, best iv ever had, silky smooth.
Guessing weight must be a factor in milage. Think I’ll have to do a bit of bike buying and splitting a d buy another battery.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK

EMtb bike with 500 powertube in mountains with dirt forest in tour mode

Total Weight of Rider and Bike : Range Estimate

150kg : 16 miles
125kg : 18 miles
100kg : 22 miles
75kg : 29 miles
50kg : 39 miles

My wife is 55kg so assuming bike weighs 25kg totals 80kg

I am 85kg so assuming bike weighs 25kg totals 110kg

My wife: 80kg : 26 miles
Me: 110kg : 21 miles

So according to this calculator my wife will travel 24% further. However, I cycle more aggressively in the more technical uphill terrain, so real world will be higher. Not twice as far as per my previous message, but significantly further.

Not sure how accurate the calculator is, but it shows that Bosch recognize rider weight makes a significant difference.

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
I managed just over 67mile and an elevation of 2849ft a couple of weeks back. I mainly used eco and switched the power off where I didn't need it. Odd use of emtb in there. I'm just over 100kg.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
I managed just over 67mile and an elevation of 2849ft a couple of weeks back. I mainly used eco and switched the power off where I didn't need it. Odd use of emtb in there. I'm just over 100kg.
67 miles being over 100kg is some going though the height relative to distance isn't that great but still that's quite far at your weight.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
It varies alot depending on ground conditions,steepness etc. Boggy stuff seems to drain it in no time.

Just back from a ride today, 30 miles,2628feet. 24 miles tar backroads, 6 miles boggy singletrack.
Im 76kg, and i carry a spare battery+backpack with tools/water/jacket etc. So another 6-7kg maybe.
I rode mostly in Emtb mode.

I started with 4 bars,finished with 1 bar and 3 miles range in Emtb mode.

Also done 38 miles a couple weekends ago, far more boggy miles and 3184ft ascent. Started with 5 bars, finished with 3, probably closer to two.
Except on that ride i stuck to eco/tour mostly.

Id be confident getting 75 miles on 2 625's, but i think 1 would be a stretch unless its fairly flat and hard ground, with big sections of Eco/off.
Had my first ride on new bike with 625 about a month ago. I deliberately set out to drain the battery to check the range on a variety of terrains, modes,surfaces, etc. Squeezed 50 miles but last 4 or 5 were in eco only and didn’t use turbo much . A big difference from my old bike with 400 battery tho

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I have the 625w battery. I use the the bike for commuting and get 2 weeks of commuting done per charge. Thats 80 miles. I weigh 95kg and have changed the nobbly tyres for smooth which suprised me how much extra battery it gave. + 5-10%

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
That’s so odd to me because I can barely turn the pedals on eco. It feels like the motor is actually holding the bike back.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
it doesn’t just work in any gear?
Yeah it doesn't matter what gear you're in, the motor works regardless, as long as the gear is appropriate for the speed. I find eco a decent mode for getting maximum range out of the battery. It's loads less effort than with the motor fully off.

It provides a lot less assistance in eco compared to the higher modes, so you do need to be in the correct gear for the speed you are travelling or it will feel too hard to pedal, unlike when you're in the other modes you can get away with being in too high a gear for the speed (until you hit the motor cutoff speed)

Last edited:

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
Yeah it doesn't matter what gear you're in, the motor works regardless, as long as the gear is appropriate for the speed. I find eco a decent mode for getting maximum range out of the battery. It's loads less effort than with the motor fully off.

It provides a lot less assistance in eco compared to the higher modes, so you do need to be in the correct gear for the speed you are travelling or it will feel too hard to pedal, unlike when you're in the other modes you can get away with being in too high a gear for the speed (until you hit the motor cutoff speed)
That’s better explained than what I could have done ?.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
As already said weight, surface of trails and steepness / height of the ride make a big distance. Also mindset and fitness of the rider make a huge difference too.
I have done 2 transalps now where you HAVE to make your battery last otherwise you have to push.
My largest ride was 85km & 2440m = 53 miles & 8000 feet. With 2 x 30 minutes or so recharging on the way. Actually I did run out of power at the end of my ride, but we were still much faster than the analog riders, even when primarily in Eco or Tour. Whenever it is flat, or only a light gradient I rode with the motor off.
As mentioned, start your rides with the motor off, and only treat yourself to a bit of power when there is a hill or boggy ground, then you will extend your battery life and increase your fitness.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles