Rail (750Wh) 36 tooth chainring (AXS T-Type) on 2023 Trek Rail 9.8?

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
I've ordered a 2023 Rail 9.8 GX AXS Gen 4 and plan to upgrade to the GX AXS Transmission. The GX T-Type groupset (Bosch variant) I bought has a 36 tooth chainring. I've just noticed that the Trek website states a 34 tooth chainring is the maximum. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
On my Rail I have a 34t ethirteen chain ring …and that is definitely the maximum. Outherwise the teeth on the chain ring could slice or scratch the chain-stay. It’s very close as it is. I’d imagine a 36t chain ring would need shim to help with any clearance issues. But then there could be an alignment issue, albeit minor.

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Damn. The Bosch groupsets for GX Transmission all come with 36 or 38 tooth chainrings, so that was the smallest I could get. I guess I’ll have to find a seperate chainring. Thanks.

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
The 34 tooth limit is due to chainstay interference with the stock chain line. The Transmission chainrings are available in 34 tooth, I have one. But I am currently running the 36 tooth with no issue on my 2022 9.8 thanks to the 55mm chain line.

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
The 34 tooth limit is due to chainstay interference with the stock chain line. The Transmission chainrings are available in 34 tooth, I have one. But I am currently running the 36 tooth with no issue on my 2022 9.8 thanks to the 55mm chain line.
Thanks for the reply! That's great to hear. Much appreciated

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
While I have you for advice... is the stock chain guide adjustable for the new chainline and additional chainring size? If not, can I just use any ISCG '05 guide or is there something specific for the Bosch motor?

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
While I have you for advice... is the stock chain guide adjustable for the new chainline and additional chainring size? If not, can I just use any ISCG '05 guide or is there something specific for the Bosch motor?

I could not get the stock chain guide spaced out enough for the XX chain ring. One up makes a guide for Bosch that I used, it includes spacers for a 55mm chain line.

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Is the Bosch mounting points different to ISCG? I’m just wondering what makes an ebike specific chain guide

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
i've been running a 36T on my Rail for over a year, no issues at all

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Thanks for the info and link. A lot of customisation and tweaking. I definitely want to avoid all that as it’s a brand new bike and the Trek dealer is doing the T-Type group set installation.

Do you think the T-Type 55mm chain line would be enough to give the 36T chainring the clearance it needs?

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Is the Bosch mounting points different to ISCG? I’m just wondering what makes an ebike specific chain guide
The Bosch chain guide mounts do seem to be ISCG so not getting what makes a Bosch-specific guide since lots of guides are adjustable for height and chain line.

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
The Bosch chain guide mounts do seem to be ISCG so not getting what makes a Bosch-specific guide since lots of guides are adjustable for height and chain line.
Answering my own question. It seems the only difference is the shape of the chain guide between the bolts (which are positioned the same). It’s slightly different for clearance of the protruding motor casing, but if you’re using spacers behind the chain guide, it doesn’t seem to matter. I used a non-ebike ISCG guide I had laying around and it worked perfectly.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Thanks for the info and link. A lot of customisation and tweaking. I definitely want to avoid all that as it’s a brand new bike and the Trek dealer is doing the T-Type group set installation.

Do you think the T-Type 55mm chain line would be enough to give the 36T chainring the clearance it needs?
I have been running a 36t chainring on my Rail 7 for the last three years and on my Rail 9.8 for the last six months. I upgrade all my Rail bikes with XT 11sp and install the Bosch 1mm countershaft spacer behind the chainring for clearance on the chainstay. To solve the chainguide issue I add (to the existing spacers) the spacers installed on the front brake caliper after I install a Fox 38 (because Rock Shox are garbage). The spacers are installed on the caliper from the factory to make the Rockshox fork work with the shimano brakes with 203mm rotor (because Sram brakes are garbage).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles