2023 Rise H10 display options/experience? (Shimano EP801-RS)

tomA

Jan 17, 2024
Liberty Lake WA
I want to get my first eMTB and I want a ligther one, more similar to a pedal mtb. The orbea Rise h10 gets good reviews, is reasonable in weight (mid 40s? with a 540 battery), has reasonable components, and with the current 20% off price, is a pretty attractive price.

The one issue I've stumbled accross is no display. It seems there is a single warning led on the thumb switch that doesn't change until you hit 20% remaining capacity. That seems pretty unusable to me. So what display options do I have for the 2023 Rise H10 with Shimano EP801-RS?

From what I can gather so far:

1) there is an orbea RS toolbox IQ connect app for garmin that should give battery capacity.

But it gets terrible reviews on the connect IQ store and people say it is terrible or impossible to install, use, ect.

Does any one have experience with this app on the H10 EP801-RS?

2) there may be a shimano SC-EN600 display? but does it work with H10 EP801-RS? I'veread comments about needing various connection cables? I'm really unfamiliar with what is required here.

Does anyone have direct experience usign this?

3) a smart phone app that would require me to mount a phone on my computer?

4) anything else?

I'm hoping something out there can give me at least 10 levels so I have 10% granularity. Anything less would be questionable to me.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I use the orbea rs toolbox with my fenix 6 for my rise. My wife uses the shimano steps data field on her garmin forerunner 965. I don't have many issues with the orbea rs toolbox... initial setup with the rs toolbox is a bit of pill and it can get a bit weird and connect to another rise if you're riding together, but all in all it could be worse.

You can wire up the shimano display as you're saying. There is some nuance to that to make sure you have the right one, and the righ extension cables to eliminate the en100 junction box. I do not know if the ep801 provides any more granularity to the battery then it did on the ep800's where it's just 20% increments and shows the same bars from 79% to 60%.

Fwiw, knowing the exact range of the battery isn't as impactful to me as you'd think. At first, I was range obsessed and was always focusing on it... but now I simply know the typical range numbers that I get out of the bike and I have the confidence that I can put the bike in eco and limp the battery along for a very long time/distance.

tomA

Jan 17, 2024
Liberty Lake WA
I use the orbea rs toolbox with my fenix 6 for my rise. My wife uses the shimano steps data field on her garmin forerunner 965. I don't have many issues with the orbea rs toolbox... initial setup with the rs toolbox is a bit of pill and it can get a bit weird and connect to another rise if you're riding together, but all in all it could be worse.

You can wire up the shimano display as you're saying. There is some nuance to that to make sure you have the right one, and the righ extension cables to eliminate the en100 junction box. I do not know if the ep801 provides any more granularity to the battery then it did on the ep800's where it's just 20% increments and shows the same bars from 79% to 60%.

Fwiw, knowing the exact range of the battery isn't as impactful to me as you'd think. At first, I was range obsessed and was always focusing on it... but now I simply know the typical range numbers that I get out of the bike and I have the confidence that I can put the bike in eco and limp the battery along for a very long time/distance.
Thank you very much for this information

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
If the cost of a Garmin is an option I think it looks better, is more customizable and gives you more data options than the Shimano unit. It mounts in the center using the mount that came with the bike as opposed to off to the right of the stem. Also the connect app will track MTB stats like jumps to review at the end of your ride.

I use an edge 1040 using just the default ebike fields for speed, distance, cadence battery percent, assist mode and range, and use the AK MTB Gear optional data field from the connect IQ store. I tried the RS Toolbox but found it showed things I didn’t need to see and wasn’t customizable.

IMG_0886.jpeg

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
I want to get my first eMTB and I want a ligther one, more similar to a pedal mtb. The orbea Rise h10 gets good reviews, is reasonable in weight (mid 40s? with a 540 battery), has reasonable components, and with the current 20% off price, is a pretty attractive price.

The one issue I've stumbled accross is no display. It seems there is a single warning led on the thumb switch that doesn't change until you hit 20% remaining capacity. That seems pretty unusable to me. So what display options do I have for the 2023 Rise H10 with Shimano EP801-RS?

From what I can gather so far:

1) there is an orbea RS toolbox IQ connect app for garmin that should give battery capacity.

But it gets terrible reviews on the connect IQ store and people say it is terrible or impossible to install, use, ect.

Does any one have experience with this app on the H10 EP801-RS?

2) there may be a shimano SC-EN600 display? but does it work with H10 EP801-RS? I'veread comments about needing various connection cables? I'm really unfamiliar with what is required here.

Does anyone have direct experience usign this?

3) a smart phone app that would require me to mount a phone on my computer?

4) anything else?

I'm hoping something out there can give me at least 10 levels so I have 10% granularity. Anything less would be questionable to me.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
The app ST Ride gives you all the info you need (and more) sent to your phone. You just need to check your phone now and then. Or mount your phone. Or wear air buds and it will give you verbal cues as to how much battery power you have left taking into consideration your consumption. . And it can send info to your watch. (At least for Apple phone/watch/buds).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles