Levo Gen 3 2022 Turbo Levo Expert Problems

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
Hi guys,
I’m new to e-bikes, but not specialized. My previous bike was a Specialized Enduro Comp.. which I sold for this bike … #regrets so far. So my bike since day 1 has been randomly shutting off and throwing errors. I have only had it for a week. I contacted the shop I bought it from which is 3 hours from me and they said just cycle the power and if it works … then smile on… well, for a $12k bike I can’t seem to smile about it!! The errors I’m getting is motor and no battery …
There is a local specialized dealer in my town, but before I go there I was hoping to get some input .. at this point I’m about to drop off at shop I bought and demand a refund lol… this seems way to soon and out of place for specialized .. any input is much appreciated

DD7B7400-8073-43A6-AC7A-2CB2CB372D64.jpeg

6463461F-FCB7-4BE7-8125-B2EF3A3272B6.jpeg

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hi guys,
I’m new to e-bikes, but not specialized. My previous bike was a Specialized Enduro Comp.. which I sold for this bike … #regrets so far. So my bike since day 1 has been randomly shutting off and throwing errors. I have only had it for a week. I contacted the shop I bought it from which is 3 hours from me and they said just cycle the power and if it works … then smile on… well, for a $12k bike I can’t seem to smile about it!! The errors I’m getting is motor and no battery …
There is a local specialized dealer in my town, but before I go there I was hoping to get some input .. at this point I’m about to drop off at shop I bought and demand a refund lol… this seems way to soon and out of place for specialized .. any input is much appreciated

View attachment 68602

View attachment 68603
Hey @vinnydude,

Sent you a PM with some troubleshooting advice.

Thanks, Specialized.

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
After charging you have to make sure that the plug is tight.
Yeah, that’s what the specialized support said. I am sure that I’m plugging that thing in firm. It’s a weird one… I’m pretty tech and mechanically inclined, but this seems like a malfunction more than im doing it wrong situation. How can the bike work for 10 miles then randomly shut off or throw an error at mile 11. I rode a Scott Eride in mammoth for 2 days with no issues at all!! In mammoth, bombing chain smoke, and all!!! Haha .. I would have gone with the cheaper Scott if I would have known spending 12k and being told to plug in harder haha … I will try again …. And will update this thread on what happens with the bike, support, etc

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There were a few people with the same problem. Can't remember if they mentioned it in the official gen3 thread or somewhere else. The plug didn't always engage properly ... You might have to have a long painful read, and apologies if that's the wrong thread for it.

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
Still having issues. Cleaned port with micro fiber, pushed cable in firmly, checked to make sure door was Properly closing …. Yikes …. I’m wishing I had a bike to ride that works haha ?… will keep you guys updated…. I’m taking to my LBS Monday to hopefully get some info.

cuaion

Sep 16, 2019
Denmark
Still having issues. Cleaned port with micro fiber, pushed cable in firmly, checked to make sure door was Properly closing …. Yikes …. I’m wishing I had a bike to ride that works haha ?… will keep you guys updated…. I’m taking to my LBS Monday to hopefully get some info.

Have you chargede mastermind with usb cable?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi guys,

View attachment 68602

View attachment 68603
High Rock Ruti

My 22 ate a motor in 600 miles.

However; I love an electric display that's claiming no battery, is that oxymoronic?

Probably a power cable or powered connection?

Warm Regards Ruti

Nel

Jul 28, 2021
South Africa
Hi
Had the same issue, have a Turbo levo 2022 expert
The plug is not making a great connection
The housing that the plug fits into has what seems to be some kind of seal
Shaved some of this seal off and works fine now

Herf

Jun 19, 2021
Boulder, CO
This is what I posted in June:

I bought a 2022 Turbo Levo Pro a couple weeks ago. Sweet ride. Plugged in charger, which showed charging. Shortly afterward I tried to turn on at TCU, but display would quickly show "No Battery" and then turn off. Bike would not power up.

Took main battery out and put back in several times with no success. Took to LBS. They swapped out for another TCU and same indication. They communicated with Specialized headquarters for awhile. Finally cleaned battery charging port and problem went away.

So suspicion is that a metallic particle got on the port area and was shorting out some part of it. That port appears to be magnetized, so I could see where it would 'attract' particles.

So moral of the story, keep charging port clean and even clean the charger plug before inserting. Also disappointed that TCU would not power up using its own coin cell battery(?) and could show some diagnosis, including possibly with "Mission Control" app

bastman

May 2, 2022
France
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and glad I joined. I've been riding an Orbea Wild FS Team in the french alps for the last 2 years and it's been nothing but flawless with the Bosch CX + 625wh PowerTube. Nevertheless the reach is too small compared to my muscular yeti SB150 and i'm seriously considering a Specialized Turbo Levo Pro 2022. I'll have to make a decision on Saturday as I'll go to the shop to see the bike. The reliability issues mentioned here and there, especially yours @vinnydude are a source of concern. I see that you haven't posted updates here for a while and I wondered if and how you got your bike fixed, what was the cause and if you'd buy it again today? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Last edited:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

Less often than motor failures, but battery cables get changed regularly too.

Warm Regards

Ruti

MiTurboComp

Oct 18, 2022
Florida
I was having the same problem as a few of you. MiTurboComp(carbon) wouldn't charge (no lights) then would but TCU2 wouldn't stay on and the message came on to check Mission Control app. Ha.

Followed the advice on cleaning all charging connections with a brush and micro towel and voila'. Problem solved.

Thx to You All,
MTC

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
I use compressed air to blow that area out every once in a while.

Positive data point:

700 miles/1126 km 2022 Levo Expert stock with 2.3 grid tires Butcher/Purgatory (the 2.6 stock tires too floaty)

No issues (knock on carbon) Not unfamiliar with Turbo levels. Very rocky and dry riding in the mountains of New Mexico. We have our share of alpine forests and copious elevation gain. Bike has been ridden hard.

Motor is very quiet compared to my previous Levo SL gen 1

The X2 has not failed yet. Really like the shock. The 38 is fantastic. Stock wheels better than expected.

cheers!

PXL_20230626_210136033.jpg

rgranger

Feb 8, 2023
USA
My '22 Levo Expert has been in twice now with the failure to launch. They replaced the battery / swapped it actually and it the TCU. They put the original TCU back in because the swapped one would not pair again. Bike has been back at the shop now for a week. This seems to not be uncommon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles