2022 Stereo Hybrid 140 SL, chain jumping in ‘high gears’

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
So, long story short, got my bike and been having a great few rides until recently.

Then at Cannock on the new Blue trail I was going along at a high pace, chain jumped off and broke. Figured I’d done something wrong while shifting.

I replaced the chain, removed links to the same length as the original and fitted it, thought it’d be fine.

A couple weeks later, I’ve brought the bike to Cornwall on holiday with me, first ride out, high speed in high gears the chain jumps off, re-seat it, go again and a couple of miles later it happens again. So I avoid gears above 10th for the rest of the ride and it’s fine. Obviously not ideal though.

Today I took it to a local bike shop, mechanic there checked it over, took 2 links out of the chain saying it was too long, adjusted everything and I’m thinking that makes sense.

Then I test ride it on the campsite field, within 100m or so the chain is off and broken.

I’m hoping to hell that someone here has a suggestion as I was planning to enjoy a few rides while down here.

I’ve spoken to the site owners and they’ve recommended the guy who maintains the ebikes they rent out, so I’m hoping he can look at it for me tomorrow but I know there’s also a lot of experience on here that might help me understand the issue?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assume you are referring ( correctly) to the smallest cogs as the high gears.

So if shifting is OK that infers the cable tension is OK as well as limit screws.
You did not say where the chain was dropping off.........cassette or chainwheel. If it is dropping off the cassette It could be due to insufficent mech tension........is the clutch lever switched on? Is the clutch providing enough tension? Alternatively check the B tension adjustment.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I assume you are referring ( correctly) to the smallest cogs as the high gears.

So if shifting is OK that infers the cable tension is OK as well as limit screws.
You did not say where the chain was dropping off.........cassette or chainwheel. If it is dropping off the cassette It could be due to insufficent mech tension........is the clutch lever switched on? Is the clutch providing enough tension? Alternatively check the B tension adjustment.

Smallest cogs yeah.

I’ve got the feeling it’s dropping off the chainwheel first, it’s difficult to be 100% sure as by the time I check things it has mostly been off both (always chainwheel).

The chain is broken anyway, so tomorrow it’s a trip to the bike mechanic that runs the ebike rental on the campsite, hopefully he’s more proficient than today’s bike shop.

Pretty damned annoying to have £60 of chain broken after just one ride, I need to learn more bike mechanicals obviously.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The chainline is pretty radical when in 11/12 or 1/2 gears so anything that worsens that chainline can cause the chain to drop at the chainwheel. So in addition to the other checks I suggested, also check that the chainwheel is not loose and there is no sideways movement of the cassette.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
Temporary fix achieved at a bike shop to keep me riding for the rest of the holiday, couple of teeth on the chainring were very slightly out of alignment. Tweaking them and a new chain, and limiting the derailleur to 11 speeds has the bike running ok.

I’ll have it down to the LBS to get it properly sorted when I get home.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
Turns out either bike shops down here don’t have a clue what they’re doing, or my bike isn’t in a great state. Got maybe 200 metres down the road, chain hopped off, and broke the chain guide off too (which the bike shop guy adjusted saying it wasn't right). My trust in Cornish bike mechanics has severely diminished.

I think it's an upgraded chainring (all these chain drops are leaving the standard e-thirteen one looking worse for wear) and whatever else the LBS back home suggests. I trust them lol.

lindbeckb

Feb 2, 2022
Aberdeen
i would be looking at the chain-ring run out and do a clean and inspeciton of each tooth on the cassette. sounds like someting is not right and it may of stemed from the first broken chain and any possable damage it did on the way out.

lindbeckb

Feb 2, 2022
Aberdeen
Turns out either bike shops down here don’t have a clue what they’re doing, or my bike isn’t in a great state. Got maybe 200 metres down the road, chain hopped off, and broke the chain guide off too (which the bike shop guy adjusted saying it wasn't right). My trust in Cornish bike mechanics has severely diminished.

I think it's an upgraded chainring (all these chain drops are leaving the standard e-thirteen one looking worse for wear) and whatever else the LBS back home suggests. I trust them lol.

did you get the chain drop issue sorted?

LEV1NCE

Jun 12, 2022
Switzerland
I’m having the same issue with my new 140 race, not even 100 km done and the chain broke twice already. Will be going back to the shop for repair but just replacing the chain will definitely not solve the issue. The chain is also jumping in the 12th gear. 😢 6E29A062-7536-43AF-92AE-FE7184150870.jpeg 6798C2B3-E1D8-44AE-BD75-876CC0809224.jpeg 6E29A062-7536-43AF-92AE-FE7184150870.jpeg

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I’m having the same issue with my new 140 race, not even 100 km done and the chain broke twice already. Will be going back to the shop for repair but just replacing the chain will definitely not solve the issue. The chain is also jumping in the 12th gear. 😢 View attachment 90168 View attachment 90169 View attachment 90168

My LBS have fitted a Hope chainring, and done some test riding before returning the bike to me and say it’s fine. Couldn’t get me a chain guide but they reckon it’s ok without. The Hope ring looks a lot better for £60.

I’ll be getting it out for a ride myself when I’m home from Devon and will see.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
If you're still struggling after everything you've done, take a quick look at the other end of the drive train - check that the cassette is correctly assembled with even spacing between the sprockets, that it's on the hub securely & that your rear wheel is in place securely. All long shots but also all things that can cause the problems you have.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
My LBS have fitted a Hope chainring, and done some test riding before returning the bike to me and say it’s fine. Couldn’t get me a chain guide but they reckon it’s ok without. The Hope ring looks a lot better for £60.

If fine should not need a chain guide did they save the old chain ring I am surprised this is the issue. Glad you got sorted.

LEV1NCE

Jun 12, 2022
Switzerland
I’m having the same issue with my new 140 race, not even 100 km done and the chain broke twice already. Will be going back to the shop for repair but just replacing the chain will definitely not solve the issue. The chain is also jumping in the 12th gear. 😢 View attachment 90168 View attachment 90169 View attachment 90168
So the shop told me that Cube informed them this is a known issue on these 2022 model with the e-thirteen chain ring. The shop replaced it with another e-thirteen ring but with a different geometry/layout (sorry no reference to give you). So far it has solved the issue, the chain also no longer jumps in 12th gear.
On another topic, I asked initially the shop to make the tyres tubeless and so they did but it keeps on deflating all the time. I went to another shop to check on that and they informed me that the original schwalbe tyres on that bike are not tubeless ready and apparently entry level models for eBikes. Overall, I was definitely expecting more from a 5000 euros bike. I went more to the repair shop than to trails. 😢

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I’ve had no trouble with tubeless, the spec on my SL has different wheels and tyres to the race though.

Interesting to hear about the chainring and cube admitting to an issue. Still need to get out on mine lol should have more free time in the coming weeks though.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I’ve had no trouble with tubeless, the spec on my SL has different wheels and tyres to the race though.

Interesting to hear about the chainring and cube admitting to an issue. Still need to get out on mine lol should have more free time in the coming weeks though.

Just looking at the specs online, and interestingly they seem to have removed the chainring from the list entirely.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
So the shop told me that Cube informed them this is a known issue on these 2022 model with the e-thirteen chain ring. The shop replaced it with another e-thirteen ring but with a different geometry/layout (sorry no reference to give you). So far it has solved the issue, the chain also no longer jumps in 12th gear.
On another topic, I asked initially the shop to make the tyres tubeless and so they did but it keeps on deflating all the time. I went to another shop to check on that and they informed me that the original schwalbe tyres on that bike are not tubeless ready and apparently entry level models for eBikes. Overall, I was definitely expecting more from a 5000 euros bike. I went more to the repair shop than to trails. 😢
That's not a great experience but fingers crossed all sorted now, unfortunately they all seem to be doing it with kit on E Bikes this was the exact reason I moved from Specialized could not justify the extra cost anymore. I have a friend who has a Lapierre not sure on model but really nice but literally almost every part is budget or in his words rubbish, so far he has upgraded - Forks, Seatpost to Dropper, Tyres ( He had Hybrid Road tyres supplied for an FS EBike), Groupset and apparently just brakes & Handlebar left he is happy with Wheels though. Literally a new bike like myself he prefers to buy bike with decent spec so not a happy bunny but still loving the riding.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
That's not a great experience but fingers crossed all sorted now, unfortunately they all seem to be doing it with kit on E Bikes this was the exact reason I moved from Specialized could not justify the extra cost anymore. I have a friend who has a Lapierre not sure on model but really nice but literally almost every part is budget or in his words rubbish, so far he has upgraded - Forks, Seatpost to Dropper, Tyres ( He had Hybrid Road tyres supplied for an FS EBike), Groupset and apparently just brakes & Handlebar left he is happy with Wheels though. Literally a new bike like myself he prefers to buy bike with decent spec so not a happy bunny but still loving the riding.

Who the hell puts hybrid road tyres on an FS MTB? Was that a shop decision or a LaPierre spec decision? Supply issues? That's just crazy.

Looking at the Cube specs, the higher up the Stereo Hybrid specs you go the closer to a fully matched group set you get for example. Eg. My SL has Shimano 8100 series XT brakes and rear derailleur, but 6100 series chain, cassette and shifters. Go to the top of the range and it's all matched components.

One day though my SL will definitely have a matched cassette, and has a matched chain already thanks to my problems.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire

How has it been with the new chainring? I’ve had exactly the same problem with my 22 SL and have just ordered a new hope chainring. Going to whip the chain off tomorrow and check it to see if I need a new one of them too!

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
How has it been with the new chainring? I’ve had exactly the same problem with my 22 SL and have just ordered a new hope chainring. Going to whip the chain off tomorrow and check it to see if I need a new one of them too!
So far so good, haven’t had the bike out on anything other than gentle terrain yet but it seems ok. Next week with luck I’ll get on some trails.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
So the shop told me that Cube informed them this is a known issue on these 2022 model with the e-thirteen chain ring. The shop replaced it with another e-thirteen ring but with a different geometry/layout.

Which shop told you this? Was it the same one you bought the bike from and if so did they change the chainring on warranty?

I bought my bike from leisure wheels as it was the only stock I could find back in March. Trouble is it’s a good 1.5 hours from me so it’s just not practical to keep going back. Im yet to find a decent LBS.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
Which shop told you this? Was it the same one you bought the bike from and if so did they change the chainring on warranty?

I bought my bike from leisure wheels as it was the only stock I could find back in March. Trouble is it’s a good 1.5 hours from me so it’s just not practical to keep going back. Im yet to find a decent LBS.

Where are you based? I see Hampshire in your profile, Cyclex in Brockenhurst have always been helpful on my holidays down there.

LEV1NCE

Jun 12, 2022
Switzerland

It was the same shop I bought the bike from and indeed they did the job under warranty. They also replaced the not tubeless ready schwalbe tyres with maxxis one of much better quality. I can finally use my bike 😅. The shop was also 1.5 hours from me, I will not do that mistake again….

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles