Levo Gen 3 2022 Specialized Turbo Levo expert suspension

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Just been for the first couple of rides on my new Expert with X2 & Fox 38 performance elite. Set up the pressures and settings according to the calculator on Specialized web site. Found the suspension extremely harsh, and didn't even use half of the travel in the fork, and only 2/3 of the travel in the rear. Have taken some air out on both ends, and set it to the same pressure as I have in my X2 & Fox 36 factory suspension on my Merida E160. going for another ride this afternoon to try it. Mean time, has anyone else had any issues with the specialized Levo expert suspension ?

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Went for a 24 km ride this afternoon after reducing air pressure in rear shock, and the fork, much better, but still not as plush as I expected, and still only used 2/3 of the fork travel used. Fox website says 4 tokens in 38 forks, will it allow the fork to achieve more travel and soften up the ride by removing one or more tokens ?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Try to ride fork HSC fully open. Next play with air/tokens and rebound. Start rebound High speed fully close and adjust the rebound with Low speed rebound. If that's not enough, open high speed rebound

Last edited:

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
if sag correct but not full travel used, then remove token, this is what I did, much better

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
What is your weight and psi on fork and x2?

Weight is 90 kilos. Spesh recommendation after using their calculator, was 245 PSI for rear shock, and 103 PSI for forks. Tire pressure rear 24 - 28 PSI and front 22- 26 PSI. Rear X2 shock = rebound 3 clicks, compression 11 clicks. Front fork Low speed rebound 4 clicks, hi speed rebound = 3 clicks. Low speed compression = 10 clicks, hi speed = 5 clicks. 2 position lever open.

The above set up sucked, absolutely hammered me, and nearly rattled my teeth out, and didn't use enough of the travel on the fork, or the shock. Tried it today with 200 PSI in the rear shock, with same compression and rebound settings and it was much better. on the fork, I ran 75PSI, and no compression damping at all, and it was better, but still not plush, and still not using enough travel.

Will lower air pressure to 60 PSI in the fork, and try that, or remove a token if that doesn't improve things, unless someone on here has a better plan ?

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
Weight is 90 kilos. Spesh recommendation after using their calculator, was 245 PSI for rear shock, and 103 PSI for forks. Tire pressure rear 24 - 28 PSI and front 22- 26 PSI. Rear X2 shock = rebound 3 clicks, compression 11 clicks. Front fork Low speed rebound 4 clicks, hi speed rebound = 3 clicks. Low speed compression = 10 clicks, hi speed = 5 clicks. 2 position lever open.

The above set up sucked, absolutely hammered me, and nearly rattled my teeth out, and didn't use enough of the travel on the fork, or the shock. Tried it today with 200 PSI in the rear shock, with same compression and rebound settings and it was much better. on the fork, I ran 75PSI, and no compression damping at all, and it was better, but still not plush, and still not using enough travel.

Will lower air pressure to 60 PSI in the fork, and try that, or remove a token if that doesn't improve things, unless someone on here has a better plan ?
Reduce to 60psi in the fork is definitely not a good idea for your weight, once you hit some real drops it will easily bottom out

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

Ultimately it also depends on how fast you ride too, i'm about 5kg lighter than you, but race to a reasonable level so run my pressures higher than you have. It's not supple for sure, but it works well, is supportive. I can still bottom it out hitting sections hard, or going a bit deep on a decent sized jump.

Rather than looking at PSI numbers I would look to setting sag based on a % of travel.

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
On fork there might be too much grease. Though on my factory 38 was fine. Also I had 3 tokens preinstalled and put one more. On x2 I never had a feeling that it is harsh. Its super sensitive. Also after couple of rides 38 was getting suppliness. So give it a time more. But we"re same weight. My first rides with sworks and psi were 98 and 245. 245 bottomed, so 258 now(though I will put storia because x2 have issues) but 258 it still uses all travel. But with 38 I run 103 and use all travel. No harsh at all. Probably can go to 110,though maybe 1 token off. Also I had hsc closed and lsc maybe two turns open from closed. Rebounds are about same as you. X2 lsc 14 from closed. Hsc 1 from closed. Lsr 6 from closed. Hsr depending terrain 1-3 from closed.

Try fork with 85-90. Open all dampers and run rooty and rocky suspension test track and with x2 I think you should be somewhere over 240 psi and try dampers open. Of course my experiances is from trying to maximise traction and conttrol on speed. So with low speed things might be different.

Also shockwiz might help. And repeated runs on same track of course and one adjuster change only.

But 60 psi no go.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
I have a 36 Grip 2 so a little different, but basically the same principle. Fox is well known for high psi on their charts. Fox suggest 72 psi for my weight of 75 kilos/165 lbs. I lowered it to 62 and the fork was still stiff especially on small bump compliance. I bitched about it to my riding buddies on a ride. They told me to lower my psi. So when when I went to the bushes to take a leak, they lowered it for me. Night and day difference at 54 psi. Run your compression open. Run your rebound close to what's advised and tune to your liking. I've had a lot of forks in my 20 + years of mountain biking, my Fox 36 is the best I've ever had. Floats like budda!

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
@Rockyw do You have a ride update? I just bought a mtb with this suspension set up. in a back to back ride with the levo comp with the rhythm float, im plenty hapy with the rhythm suspension but there is a significant improvement in ride quality with the elite. Im not qualified to offer details as im a novice and had the suspension tuned for me, but i suspect once You get it dialed will be happy with it.

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Went for a quick ride today, after removing one volume spacer from the fork, and air pressure at 70 PSI and its a good improvement, not getting beat up so much, and now using most of the travel. Will go for a a bit more challenging ride tomorrow, and see if I need to make any other changes. Rear X2 shock is currently set at 200 PSI, and also feeling pretty good, with factory recommended compression & rebound settings. I also changed the stem today, put on a Deity copperhead 35 mm stem, which is the same length as what I have on my Merida E160, and feels more comfortable for my reach.

sbfitness

Jun 18, 2021
US

get yourself a shockwiz or rent one for the day. Gamechanger for setting up your suspension and getting dialed in

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I have the 2022 Kenevo Turbo SL. The Fox 38 is the best fork I’ve ever had. I always find the Fox recommended settings to be to stiff, though. I run fork 10lbs less than recommended, HSC fully open and 2 tokens. Shock at recommended pressure, HSC fully open. It works great trail riding and at the bike park.

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
30 km ride today, and 72 PSI in the forks and 200 PSI in the shock , and very comfortable. Using all but the last 12mm of travel.
I am now pretty happy with suspension settings. May need to put a little more air in, when I go to tracks with larger drops and jumps.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hello everyone,
yesterday afternoon I picked up a turbo levo expert 2022 and today, I dedicated myself to the settings, discovering that the fox x2 performance elite, does not have the hsr and hsc settings, it does not change my life, but I thought it was the same hydraulics of the factory, without the kashima coating and instead is more basic, while the fox 38, is fully adjustable like the factory

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Went for a quick ride today, after removing one volume spacer from the fork, and air pressure at 70 PSI and its a good improvement, not getting beat up so much, and now using most of the travel. Will go for a a bit more challenging ride tomorrow, and see if I need to make any other changes. Rear X2 shock is currently set at 200 PSI, and also feeling pretty good, with factory recommended compression & rebound settings. I also changed the stem today, put on a Deity copperhead 35 mm stem, which is the same length as what I have on my Merida E160, and feels more comfortable for my reach.
If you are 90kg that pressure is too low. I'm getting the feeling you are not an aggressive rider which is fine but 70psi at 90kg will be putting you too deep into the stroke too easily.

I would deflate the fork and take off the airside cap to remove all the tokens. Look inside the stanchion and check how much grease is on top of the air piston. If there is an excessive amount it will need to be removed. If it's good refit the cap and start at 85-90psi in the fork. The 38 can run a reasonable pressure and still be very comfortable and supportive.

Have you measured sag on the rear shock? This is important to at least get you into the ball park.

Too little pressure at either end will feel just as bad as too much pressure as it puts you in the more progressive part of the stroke/spring curve.

DirtFarmer

Dec 12, 2021
Lethbridge
Hello everyone,
yesterday afternoon I picked up a turbo levo expert 2022 and today, I dedicated myself to the settings, discovering that the fox x2 performance elite, does not have the hsr and hsc settings, it does not change my life, but I thought it was the same hydraulics of the factory, without the kashima coating and instead is more basic, while the fox 38, is fully adjustable like the factory
Hello from Alberta Canada.
I just realized the same thing only I haven’t picked up my new bike yet.
It’s a little tricky figuring out what the components are going to look like until you get your hands on them.
The obvious differences like- bars, cranks, stem, wheel build, Kashima, dropper, are in the dealer info.
Is the fork the same as the Pro, other than the Kashima?
Does the shock have the VVS system?
What are Code RS brakes?
Does the rear hub have the new DT Swiss ratchet internals?
What am I giving up other than Kashima and carbon?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles