2022 Rocky Mountain Powerplay Rear Hydraulic Brake Change

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I'm about to receive my 2022 RM Altitude Powerplay A50 after waiting over 12 months!

I have a brand new set of Shimano Saint brakes sitting in the workshop and was thinking of swapping out the stock Deore 4 pot brakes straight away.

Has anyone swapped out their brakes yet, if so, how difficult was it to access the rear hydraulic brake hose to remove and replace with a new brake?

Thanks
Dr Chris

Badd0g

Mar 18, 2022
Canada
I'm about to receive my 2022 RM Altitude Powerplay A50 after waiting over 12 months!

I have a brand new set of Shimano Saint brakes sitting in the workshop and was thinking of swapping out the stock Deore 4 pot brakes straight away.

Has anyone swapped out their brakes yet, if so, how difficult was it to access the rear hydraulic brake hose to remove and replace with a new brake?

Thanks
Dr Chris
You don't need to replace the hose cut off the lever and caliper get new barb and olive. Put your new brakes on existing hose bleed and ride

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
You don't need to replace the hose cut off the lever and caliper get new barb and olive. Put your new brakes on existing hose bleed and ride
Saint brakes have the banjo style connection at the caliper end, not the barb and olive like the Deore brakes. I since have discovered the comprehensive online PDF version of the Rocky manual which gives decent instructions on how to do the brake hose change.

Dynamo

Apr 3, 2022
Victoria BC
My 2022 came with XT brakes and has the banjo style fitting at the caliper end and the olive and barb at the lever. I would think they are all like that so should be an easy swap like DrChris said above

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Its actually very simple. The RM is one of the easiest bikes to work on with internal routing.

My suggestion would be to invest a little up front in the park tool cable/hose pulling kit and get jagwire universal hose and the correct banjo adapter for your saints.

Remove the drive side cover and clip the zip tie on the cables and hoses. Remove the battery and the cable retainer which is the bolt in the middle of the bottle mount bracket.

Cut the lever end of the hose as close to barb as possible and thread the tapered threaded park tool cable puller into the end of the hose. Pull the hose from the caliper end all the way through which will leave the park tool cable in its place.

Now just reverse the process feeding the lever end of the hose back through the frame. You can tug the guide cable quite a bit but be smart and also feed the hose as you go. Getting the cables and hoses back into the retainer is a PITA but not impossible just take your time. Reinstall the battery, cable tie in the drive side and side cover and you are done with the reroute.

From here its a standard brake install and bleed with the exception that you will need to install the adapter for the banjo onto the caliper.

You could use the hose that came with the Saints but using the universal jagwire allows you to change them in the future so long as you stick with a mineral oil system. I personally run the Shigura system with XT levers and Magura MT5 calipers. I also find the brakes feel a bit more responsive with this hose vs the Shimano hose, sounds silly but these are basic hydraulic systems and hose structure does matter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles