2022 Heckler MX links from Cascade Components

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Installed the prototype links from Cascade Components on my Santa Cruz Heckler MX, they allow you to run a longer shock (up to 230 x 65) air or coil, the links are also more progressive then the stock links and with the Fox DHX2 I installed (230 x 65) the ride was night and day over stock. So much more plush, small bump compliance was awesome and on big drops never had the harsh bottom out I did with the stock Rock Shox Super deluxe select. I only had a couple hours of daylight so got a 20 mile ride in and plan on getting a bunch of miles over the next month and will have a video on you tube showing installation and my thoughts. It takes about 30 minutes to install with a 5, 6 and 8 mm allen wrench ans uses the stock bearing cups and hardware. You will need a roller bearing kit for the rear of the Fox coil shock 30 x 8.

IMG_8518.jpg IMG_8520.jpg IMG_8479.jpg

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Is the difference you feel caused by having more travel or is it because you switched to a coil?
Both, I knew before I purchased the Heckler I was going to put a coil on it and if you are just looking for an overall more plush, better small bump sensitivity than a coil in the stock length will help tremendously over the stock RockShox air shock. I wanted a little more travel and coils are linear so the added progressiveness that Jimmy has built into the links helps to keep the coil from bottoming out. I am 200lbs, running a 600lb spring with almost no preload on the spring and it feels awesome.

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Bottom brackets stays the same height, are you getting pedal strikes?
Did you actually measure before and after. People that have the long travel link on Levo's report that it did raise the BB.. I know Cascade says it doesn't. I have pedal strikes once every 10-15 rides. I also don't like long, low and slack, with lot's of pedal smack. I like short, high and steep!!

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Did you actually measure before and after. People that have the long travel link on Levo's report that it did raise the BB.. I know Cascade says it doesn't. I have pedal strikes once every 10-15 rides. I also don't like long, low and slack, with lot's of pedal smack. I like short, high and steep!!
These are Prototype links and we will be working through the design as I get more hours on them. Tires and other variables can alter the BB height. I had the stock links in the Low position and the current BB height with the Cascade links is 5mm lower than stock. I grew up racing in the 80's so steep was 72-74 and the heckler is 64.8 so not sure what you mean when you say steep? Ideally I would like to see an adjustable BB and would like to bump my fork up 10mm to 170 but going to run it as is to have a baseline.

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
These are Prototype links and we will be working through the design as I get more hours on them. Tires and other variables can alter the BB height. I had the stock links in the Low position and the current BB height with the Cascade links is 5mm lower than stock. I grew up racing in the 80's so steep was 72-74 and the heckler is 64.8 so not sure what you mean when you say steep? Ideally I would like to see an adjustable BB and would like to bump my fork up 10mm to 170 but going to run it as is to have a baseline.
66 or 67 degree with a 350-355 BB...Would be great!! All the bikes I had from the 80"s were 70-71 degree..

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
Both, I knew before I purchased the Heckler I was going to put a coil on it and if you are just looking for an overall more plush, better small bump sensitivity than a coil in the stock length will help tremendously over the stock RockShox air shock. I wanted a little more travel and coils are linear so the added progressiveness that Jimmy has built into the links helps to keep the coil from bottoming out. I am 200lbs, running a 600lb spring with almost no preload on the spring and it feels awesome.

Great thanks. I’d get one if they decide to make it for the 29er heckler too.

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
Installed the prototype links from Cascade Components on my Santa Cruz Heckler MX, they allow you to run a longer shock (up to 230 x 65) air or coil, the links are also more progressive then the stock links and with the Fox DHX2 I installed (230 x 65) the ride was night and day over stock. So much more plush, small bump compliance was awesome and on big drops never had the harsh bottom out I did with the stock Rock Shox Super deluxe select. I only had a couple hours of daylight so got a 20 mile ride in and plan on getting a bunch of miles over the next month and will have a video on you tube showing installation and my thoughts. It takes about 30 minutes to install with a 5, 6 and 8 mm allen wrench ans uses the stock bearing cups and hardware. You will need a roller bearing kit for the rear of the Fox coil shock 30 x 8.

View attachment 99308 View attachment 99309 View attachment 99310
Any reason you went with the Fox Coil over RockShox or other brands?

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
In an earlier post you state "Bottom brackets stays the same height, are you getting pedal strikes?" and here you state that its 5mm lower? Can you help me understand my confusion?

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
If you happen to see this message, does it do away with the flip chip also?
The BB is the same height as it was in the low position, there is no flip chip option and you have to run a longer stroke shock 230 x 65 so it has 160mm of travel in back. Still running 160 on the Fox 36 with a Smashpot coil conversion kit in the front. Butter on both ends...

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
When do you think the cascade link will be available to buy? Looking forward to getting one!
They are going to start machining them next month, I will post more detailed info when I have it. I have gotten a lot more time on the links and longer shock and absolutely love it.

ramoes

Sep 26, 2022
Southern California
I'm running a new Rockshox SDU coil with HBO. Not overly impressed with the improvement from the stock air shock. Steel feels slightly harsh on small bump. Now I'm thinking about going this route...

Last edited:

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
I'm running a new Rockshox SDU coil with HBO. Not overly impressed with the improvement from the stock air shock. Steel feels slightly harsh on small bump. Now I'm thinking about going this route...
How much do you weigh and what spring are you running? The Cascade link let me run a lighter spring than normal because of how progressive it is. I am 190lbs and running a 550 spring on my Fox DHX2, supple on the small stuff and no harsh bottom outs on the bigger hits.

ramoes

Sep 26, 2022
Southern California
How much do you weigh and what spring are you running? The Cascade link let me run a lighter spring than normal because of how progressive it is. I am 190lbs and running a 550 spring on my Fox DHX2, supple on the small stuff and no harsh bottom outs on the bigger hits.
I am like 175-180 with gear. I am running a 450lb spring with 30% sag.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles