2022 Bullit build

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Great writeup on the emtb Bullit. As an owner of the original SC Bullit and later an '03 Bullit, I've always appreciated SC and their products...also have an '08 Nomad. In fact I turned the '03 Bullit into a home build, mid-drive, Bafang BBSHD off road rig that I rode for 3 years.

I recently went with a Gen 2 Trek Rail 7 because I wanted to go with the Bosch motor. I can really appreciate your preference of going with a coil rear shock. I did the same with my Rail with a Fox DHX2. I also went with a Marz Bomber coil fork. I think it's almost criminal that the suspension manufactures have little to no coil options out there. These bigger hit bikes love coil suspension, and with them being emtb there really isn't a weight penalty to speak of.

In your case I'd be tempted to go with one of the coil conversion setups that are available for the ZEB, but that's just my preference. Obviously you've given a great deal of thought to your mods, and like most of us, you're probably not through yet. 😄

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My Bullit is still brand new but I'm tossing around the idea of going with a coil shock at some point.
Its a good idea to have 2 rear shocks if youre gonna ride a bunch. I prefer the coil to the air shock but every time the coil needs a rebuild and I throw the air shock on it feels better than I remembered it.

D

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA
Good advice for sure. I do the same thing with my Toyota when I rebuild the coilovers. I'll probably stick with the Rockshox coil to keep thi ga simple, but I am an Ohlins fan boy for my motorcycles.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Started out with 70/140psi in the fork/runt, wasn't getting full travel so I dropped it down to 60/120. Feels better and I was using more travel on the short little test rip in the neighborhood. Have to remember to bring the shock pump with me next ride so I can mess with it some more.

D

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I'd like to hear what u think of the cascade link u put on. Big ride difference?
Honestly, I can't really tell.. The bike rides pretty mint as a whole and I would throw the link on again but you'd have to do a side by side comparison to try and discern the subtle changes it made.

In my opinion, a good coil shock with bearings on the link end made the biggest difference in ride quality. It honestly feels like there's something loose in the rear end (in a good way?) its so supple if that makes any sense.

D

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Honestly, I can't really tell.. The bike rides pretty mint as a whole and I would throw the link on again but you'd have to do a side by side comparison to try and discern the subtle changes it made.

In my opinion, a good coil shock with bearings on the link end made the biggest difference in ride quality. It honestly feels like there's something loose in the rear end (in a good way?) its so supple if that makes any sense.

D
Thanks for the feedback! I just ordered a Enduro bearing for the coil(rock shox super deluxe) rear eyelet. I've been chasing a creak somewhere in the rear pivots. Other than that I share much of your opinion s on the bike. It's a keeper!

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Try taking off the rear wheel and universal derailleur hanger, clean and grease the hanger where it meets the frame and grease the rear axle as well. That area is where I had my mystery creaks.

D

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA
The Amygos chainstay guard arrived today! I wrapped the stay with some 3M heavy duty electrical tape for a little paint protection before I snapped it on. It fits perfectly and feels bombproof. It was worth the wait and shipping cost! Thanks again for the tip!

20240321_102324.jpg

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Finished the spring refresh the other day. Got some new wolftooth fat foamies slid over the old sdg lock on grips. Almost went with a stink/pink combo but decided on straight pink in the end.

I then righted a wrong thats been bugging me by getting some black cranks back on there. 155mm black 5dev units replaced the raw ones that had some good wear marks where they were rubbing the amygos diaper. I've since trimmed the diaper down but some of the gouges are deep enough to cause concern... At least thats what I told myself.

Just an observation but the new crank arms are subtly beefier than the old ones and have different cutouts. You have to look close but when you do its obvious.

I also had to throw a new derailleur on and switch to my spare wheelset since a rock decided that my spokes and derailleur needed to share the same space. Got the wheel locked up right away but it had already broken a spoke and twisted the derailleur pretty good. As a bonus the spoke poked the rim tape and the tire went flat lol. Bent the derailleur back enough so it shifted half assed and rode er out on the cushcore.

20240403_194218.jpg
20240403_191833.jpg
20240402_220038.jpg
20240402_185207.jpg
20240402_214138.jpg
20240331_173907.jpg

D

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Finished the spring refresh the other day. Got some new wolftooth fat foamies slid over the old sdg lock on grips. Almost went with a stink/pink combo but decided on straight pink in the end.

I then righted a wrong thats been bugging me by getting some black cranks back on there. 155mm black 5dev units replaced the raw ones that had some good wear marks where they were rubbing the amygos diaper. I've since trimmed the diaper down but some of the gouges are deep enough to cause concern... At least thats what I told myself.

Just an observation but the new crank arms are subtly beefier than the old ones and have different cutouts. You have to look close but when you do its obvious.

I also had to throw a new derailleur on and switch to my spare wheelset since a rock decided that my spokes and derailleur needed to share the same space. Got the wheel locked up right away but it had already broken a spoke and twisted the derailleur pretty good. As a bonus the spoke poked the rim tape and the tire went flat lol. Bent the derailleur back enough so it shifted half assed and rode er out on the cushcore.

View attachment 137540 View attachment 137541 View attachment 137542 View attachment 137543 View attachment 137544 View attachment 137545

D
Very nice! I think it was maybe one of your posts that suggested putting an Enduro bearing on bottom eyeletof rest shock. I got one put on mine and noticed a bit more than a little improvement in rear suspension. More supple. As a plus the sick bolt stopped loosening too. I think the stock bushing was to tight and effecting the swingarm movement.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Very nice! I think it was maybe one of your posts that suggested putting an Enduro bearing on bottom eyeletof rest shock. I got one put on mine and noticed a bit more than a little improvement in rear suspension. More supple. As a plus the sick bolt stopped loosening too. I think the stock bushing was to tight and effecting the swingarm movement.
Right? The rear end moves if you breathe on it with a coil and bearings.

That shock eye sees a lot of rotation when the main link does its thing so bushings are a bad idea. Yours came loose even after being torqued to 16nm eh?

Mine came with a rock shox super ultimate with cheese that has the bearings but its an air shock so while I bet they do something... you can't tell lol. I can't wait till the mud dries up and I can throw the ext back on!

D

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA
Love the updates. The Bullit is such a rad bike. I think after this season I'll be looking at swapping out the air shock for coil and probably replacing the Code brakes with Saints or the Hayes A4. Still trying to find the sweet spot with the air shock to make it more supple. Next ride I'll be running it with the LSC valve all the way open.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Love the updates. The Bullit is such a rad bike. I think after this season I'll be looking at swapping out the air shock for coil and probably replacing the Code brakes with Saints or the Hayes A4. Still trying to find the sweet spot with the air shock to make it more supple. Next ride I'll be running it with the LSC valve all the way open.
I put a rock shox ultimate coil on mine, never even ride it once with the stock shock. Love it. I also was able to get the new SRAM maven ultimate brake kit. I have always had Shimano saits but these mavens are amazing. So much more modulation plus power. Cost a small fortune to swap all my bikes over to em' but I'm sold.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I had so much bad luck with saints I gave up on them. The masters would always leak at that gold circular fitting and shimano refused warranty on both pairs the bastards. I ended up plugging the holes with pedal pins that fit lol. Didn't leak after that but were never the same.

I run the hayes a4s and like them enough to have swapped all the bikes over. I use uberbike race matrix pads and magura mdrp rotors.

Curious to try the new srams but to be honest sram has yet to make a brake that I like. They have this wierd way of making all their levers feel like you're pulling the top off of a ziplock container and it drives me fucking nuts lol.

D

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA
Was just looking at the Mavens. Very interesting! Of course, now I need to find a zip lock container and see if I can compare to your analogy!

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
For my Bullit in early Dec and have been dialing it in. Really like how it handles and quality of the frame. Got the low end build and have pretty much updated everything.

The reason I bought this bike was my canyon tourqe on broke a rear suspension pivot and after 5 plus month the bolt was still backordered. During that time I picked this rig up on sale so I wouldn't be without a ride and glad I did. Canyon final refunded my $$ last week. I'm gonna miss it's 900 watt battery and it was a best on the dh but I'm digging the sc more.

PXL_20240412_175617249.jpg

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
For my Bullit in early Dec and have been dialing it in. Really like how it handles and quality of the frame. Got the low end build and have pretty much updated everything.

The reason I bought this bike was my canyon tourqe on broke a rear suspension pivot and after 5 plus month the bolt was still backordered. During that time I picked this rig up on sale so I wouldn't be without a ride and glad I did. Canyon final refunded my $$ last week. I'm gonna miss it's 900 watt battery and it was a best on the dh but I'm digging the sc more.

View attachment 138173
Great color man!

D

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA

View attachment 138173
How do you like the brakes? Those are the new SRAMS?

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA
I'm liking them allot. Coming off of saints and I'm finding the mavensare stronger and the power modulation is mush better. Problem is I want to switch my other 2 bikes brakes over to them now.
I love everything about my Bullit but the code r brakes and the basic Fox 38 fork. Looking at the Mavens or Hayes for an upgrade and also the new fox Xgrip2 damper internals for the fork.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles