Other 2021 Turbo Levo or Kenevo motor issues or problems? Are there any? Please report! The good, the bad, and the ugly (hopefully no ugly)!

BLOJOE

Sep 2, 2020
USA
Hello all! First post!

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either a 2021 Turbo Levo OR a 2021 Trek Rail 7 or 9.7. Going to test ride the Trek hopefully Friday. I've already test ridden a 2020 Turbo Levo and loved it!

I've done all the research and saw all the reports of issues on the Brose 2.1 motors. I also know about the warranty extention on the 2019 and 2020s and that Specialized made "modifications" to the 2021 to help resolve the issues. Seems like Specialized is not calling this a "fix" for possibly political reasons... Fair...

So did Specialized get it right for 2021?

If you have a 2021 Turbo Levo or Kenevo (or anything with the "modification") please report! What bike?, how long have you owned it?, how many miles?

THANK YOU!

BLOJOE

Sep 2, 2020
USA
Hello all! First post!

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either a 2021 Turbo Levo OR a 2021 Trek Rail 7 or 9.7. Going to test ride the Trek hopefully Friday. I've already test ridden a 2020 Turbo Levo and loved it!

I've done all the research and saw all the reports of issues on the Brose 2.1 motors. I also know about the warranty extention on the 2019 and 2020s and that Specialized made "modifications" to the 2021 to help resolve the issues. Seems like Specialized is not calling this a "fix" for possibly political reasons... Fair...

If you have a 2021 Turbo Levo or Kenevo (or anything with the "modification") please report! What bike?, how long have you owned it?, how many miles?

THANK YOU!

Anyone, anyone? Don't want to jinx it? :)

How about anyone who posted in the 2021 picts thread?

I've also gotten no e-mail response from the Specialized sales rep sooooo... ...not inspiring confidence...

Thanks!

JOE

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California

I've also gotten no e-mail response from the Specialized sales rep sooooo... ...not inspiring confidence...

Thanks!

JOE
Maybe the rep is busy trying to get bikes out to his dealers instead of answering questions about reliability on a bike that has literally only been out in the wild for just over six weeks.
We sold thirty seven 2021 Levo Comps, none them have had a motor failure in six weeks.
I suspect I’ll get my first motor failure in three months because of either overturning, water from a power washer or the very common high temperature, high power, high gear up the steepest hill scenario.

BLOJOE

Sep 2, 2020
USA
Maybe the rep is busy trying to get bikes out to his dealers instead of answering questions about reliability on a bike that has literally only been out in the wild for just over six weeks.
We sold thirty seven 2021 Levo Comps, none them have had a motor failure in six weeks.
I suspect I’ll get my first motor failure in three months because of either overturning, water from a power washer or the very common high temperature, high power, high gear up the steepest hill scenario.

Totally fair. Thanks for the reply and yes this was a Specialized store so I know he was quite busy but said email him with any questions.

In our brief conversation he too seemed to imply that the issues are related to what you described above. He specifically referred to the high power high gear up the steepest hill scenario. To me this was like bogging down a gas engine in a manual transmission car - not a design issue per se but something that should be avoided.

So then I guess if the rider avoids the above situations described than the motor failure rates would be significantly less? That’s what I’m still trying to understand in all this.

Last edited:

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
Over 500 miles in on my turbo levo comp 2021. Only issue I’ve had was a single error on an almost 5k foot climb over 3.5mi on a hot day. Got a red/blue flashing light that I thought maybe was occurring because of heat. Turned motor off and then back on and kept going. Other than that Ive added a 36t crank, and ride in trail turbo most of the time. Still going ??, I have not upgraded to the newest update due to some of the posts about the walk assist. My walk assist works well and I’ve used it enough to not have it be more delayed or slower. Gonna hold off on the software update for that single reason.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I have a 2020 Levo Comp with a motor replaced with the 2021 version 600 km ago this summer, with latest firmware. No issues since then (although walk-mode needs a firmware fix I’m sure is coming).

ohm13

Jun 10, 2018
Seattle

Thanks!

JOE
I have 2018 Levo Comp with over 2500 miles on it, original motor. I got a 2021 Comp in mid-July. I've put over 300 miles on it so far. It's working great. I should add, live in Seattle and ride trails and service roads in the Cascade Mountains almost exclusively so real mt biking with 2-3000 feet of elevation gain in most rides. Also I never use Turbo and keep my pedal cadence high. These bikes are amazing! Just treat it with respect and you should be fine.

BLOJOE

Sep 2, 2020
USA
OP here. First thank you all who posted here!

So put a deposit down on a 2021 Levo Comp at my Specialized LBS based on some of the advice given here. From the other motor thread (posted below - scary to read in many ways) it's implied there is no "majical specific date" on when all the "updated" motors started rolling off the assembly line per Rob (thread #32)...

I still plan on checking the motor date before I leave the shop though for piece of mind. Is the only way to do it through the app? Can't wait to get a Jan 2020 motor... LOL.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I had a replcement in july and the dealer told me it would take a day or two extra because Spesh had just decided to exchange all the motors in stock for new ones from Brose. So I got the improved June 2020 motor and I bet you get one too on a 2021 bike you haven’t received yet.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
My MY21 that I bought in August has a Jan 2020 manufacture date.

Oh, really? Well, it’s hard to know which batches were «improved enough» and when that was. My reference is the national stock of motors in Norway.

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
I'm not worried about it at all. I know specialized and my LBS will take care of me should something fail. The only thing that causes a little concern would be it failing 30 miles out from the car, with 5k ft of climbing to go!

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I'm not worried about it at all. I know specialized and my LBS will take care of me should something fail. The only thing that causes a little concern would be it failing 30 miles out from the car, with 5k ft of climbing to go!

Just as an a-side: My motor that was replaced never actually stopped working. The TCU display and app just warned me 4 times that something wasn’t right in the motor and that I should take it to my local dealer. I rode the bike until the day the new motor had arrived at my dealer. Rode with the new motor later the next day. Specialized is great on the motor warranty.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hello all! First post!

THANK YOU!
Purchased the new S-Works Turbo Levo 6 weeks ago and has been at shop for over a week because of issues with motor/controller. Had problems out of the gate with motor turning off mid-ride and a bizarre issue that made me seriously think my new emtb was possessed by an evil spirit! For no reason, would go into turbo mode and could not even turn my bike off by pressing button on top tube. Got no response when using thumb controller on handlebar as well. Was able to remedy by "rebooting" bike like a computer by eventually being able to turn it off and restart. Starting having problems with Mission Control app, reinstalled app and even tried installing on another cell phone to proof out was it an app or bicycle hardware issue.

What really pissed me off is my lbs returned my bike 2 times after dropping off at shop because they didn't witness the issue and but did see an error code when connecting my bike to their diagnostic computer.

Same thing happened again in regard to motor turning off even though lights on top tube controller showed it was on boost mode. Recorded video on my cell phone and since I was onky 20 minute drive from lbs where I purchased bike, drove immediately there so they could "witness" problem.

From previous experience, Specialized customer service sucks. Very disappointed lbs said they needed to see same failure code on their analyzer 3 times before Specialized would authorize warrenty repair. Expected more from lbs as well. When you drop more than $13K on a bike, you shouldn't have to deal with these types of issues.

Long story short, they took video and spoke with technician from Specialized who said its an issue with controller. Hoping replacement part arrives today as was date given by lbs so I can get out on the trail. Before all the issues, absolutely LOVED riding the Levo. Have 5 bikes in my stable, 2 clockwork bikes (Yeti SB4.5 & Canyon Torque) and waiting for my new YT Decoy Elite. Been mtb'ing for over 30 years and can honestly state was very impressed with how Levo rides.

BLOJOE

Sep 2, 2020
USA
Purchased the new S-Works Turbo Levo 6 weeks ago and has been at shop for over a week because of issues with motor/controller. Had problems out of the gate with motor turning off mid-ride and a bizarre issue that made me seriously think my new emtb was possessed by an evil spirit! For no reason, would go into turbo mode and could not even turn my bike off by pressing button on top tube. Got no response when using thumb controller on handlebar as well. Was able to remedy by "rebooting" bike like a computer by eventually being able to turn it off and restart. Starting having problems with Mission Control app, reinstalled app and even tried installing on another cell phone to proof out was it an app or bicycle hardware issue.

What really pissed me off is my lbs returned my bike 2 times after dropping off at shop because they didn't witness the issue and but did see an error code when connecting my bike to their diagnostic computer.

Same thing happened again in regard to motor turning off even though lights on top tube controller showed it was on boost mode. Recorded video on my cell phone and since I was onky 20 minute drive from lbs where I purchased bike, drove immediately there so they could "witness" problem.

From previous experience, Specialized customer service sucks. Very disappointed lbs said they needed to see same failure code on their analyzer 3 times before Specialized would authorize warrenty repair. Expected more from lbs as well. When you drop more than $13K on a bike, you shouldn't have to deal with these types of issues.

Long story short, they took video and spoke with technician from Specialized who said its an issue with controller. Hoping replacement part arrives today as was date given by lbs so I can get out on the trail. Before all the issues, absolutely LOVED riding the Levo. Have 5 bikes in my stable, 2 clockwork bikes (Yeti SB4.5 & Canyon Torque) and waiting for my new YT Decoy Elite. Been mtb'ing for over 30 years and can honestly state was very impressed with how Levo rides.

OP here yes your story is sadly now like the 100th or perhaps 1000th story like this I've heard unfortunately. No doubt the Levo is an awesome bike but what's the point if it's constantly in the shop (admittedly there are many that swear they have not had issues but.)... ...I mean there are many similarities here between the Levo and high performance cars that are constantly in the shop. Their owners defend the cars to the bitter end but... I'm more of a reliability fan and of all the mainstream motors it would seem the Bosch Gen 4 w/software update is the best all around at this point. I've decided to bail on Specilaized in an attempt to get a slightly "lesser" bike but with a far more reliable motor though I'm pretty sure a Trek Rail won't be that much of a sacrifice. Final nail in the coffin for me was finding the "Specialized Turbo Levo & Kenevo faults Group" on FB (link below - hopefully that's allowed).

Thanks to everyone here and their input - you can find me over on the Trek side in a few...

Kent

Nov 28, 2020
Israel
Have been riding 2,200 km on my turbo levo 2021 ( have them for 6x weeks now)
Only had one control problem that turned out to be loose magnet on the rear brake rotor.
Other than than, it rides absolutely great.

8A18E2A9-E815-4C41-8E72-08D22856545C.jpeg

Bogo

Mar 5, 2021
Slovenia
Kenevo comp 2021, bought October 2020, motor date January 2020. After 300km, loud bang in motor when star pedaling. Now, waiting for new motor.

Bogo

Mar 5, 2021
Slovenia
Ok, motor was replaced with new one, dated July 2020. Now I have another problem. After few minutes uphill riding, strange noise comin from motor (ta-ta-ta...). When I switch motor off, noise is gone. After power on, noise is back. I think, this is not normal. What do you think?

Last edited:

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
Well I've only had my STLC for a month now and have loved every minute, no faults at all, gears can be a bit clunky when changing down, but that could also be user error, I do have a slight clicking coming from somewhere around the top bracket but I'm looking into that, other than that it's a great bike and looks the nuts, I do also like the look of the new Trek. Sorry I can't be more help. Ask again in 6 months haha.

Denpot29

Sep 27, 2020
Crawley
Ok, motor was replaced with new one, dated July 2021. Now I have another problem. After few minutes uphill riding, strange noise comin from motor (ta-ta-ta...). When I switch motor off, noise is gone. After power on, noise is back. I think, this is not normal. What do you think?

Sorry to say but I’m not sure thats normal!!!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Definitely not normal. My 2021 Turbo Levo S-Works is in the shop AGAIN. Battery wouldn't hold a charge, totally dead next day after finishing ride with 35% charge remaining. Was able to charge abd totally dead again after sitting over night. Took it to an authorized Specialized bike shop and they installed a new battery. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. VERY disappointed in quality control at Specialized. Absolutely love the bike but nothing but problems.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Ok, motor was replaced with new one, dated July 2021. Now I have another problem. After few minutes uphill riding, strange noise comin from motor (ta-ta-ta...). When I switch motor off, noise is gone. After power on, noise is back. I think, this is not normal. What do you think?

You mean dated «July 2020»? That’s just after the new improved 2.1 motor was starting to get made.

I got a motor replacement to the new version (same as in 2021 Levo) in july 2020, and the sound was a bit different, but nothing like your video.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Specialized must be so pissed off at Brose. I had to wait an extra week for replacement last July because my dealer said Specialized refused to replace any more motors with the current (previous gen) stock.

They also started using Mahle motors on the SL, and I guess a contract and promises from Brose is the only reason they haven’t gone all Mahle.

Jay E

Nov 24, 2020
Over 500 miles in on my turbo levo comp 2021. Only issue I’ve had was a single error on an almost 5k foot climb over 3.5mi on a hot day. Got a red/blue flashing light that I thought maybe was occurring because of heat. Turned motor off and then back on and kept going. Other than that Ive added a 36t crank, and ride in trail turbo most of the time. Still going ??, I have not upgraded to the newest update due to some of the posts about the walk assist. My walk assist works well and I’ve used it enough to not have it be more delayed or slower. Gonna hold off on the software update for that single reason.
I've had the little error a few times but turning off and then back on fixes it.

Jay E

Nov 24, 2020
My friend has a planet 3 and uses blevo. He says on flat ground there isn't any assist difference between 75% and 100% at any speed over 20mph. He also says assist stops at 34 mph all together...... Any thoughts?

Kent

Nov 28, 2020
Israel
regarding the 2020 Turbo Levo, I would advise to avoid it, the 2020 models may have the older motor version that suffered design issues.
I rode the 2020 Turbo Levo Comp for a year, done 8,000 km, it had several system control problems, motor was replaced once, main wiring harness was replaced due to wetness issue.
I ride the 2021 Turbo Levo Comp for 8 months now, done 7,500 km, modertate XC trails, no problems.
Love this bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles