2021 Sam2 6.8 mullet set up

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Thinking of trying a 27.5 rear wheel on my Sam 2 what would be a good wheel to buy so I can just put the disc and cassette from the 29er straight on it

Last edited:

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
It's that on a 2021 model and do they just fit straight in
Yes 2021 model.

20210114_161529.jpg

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
My 2021 Sam2 6.8 is coming monday. I plan to buy a DT Swiss H 1900 27.5 rear wheel. It's made for ebikes and cheap.
Does it fit straight on I've looked at these from chain reaction cycles but what size hub do you order and will that fit straight in the bike or have you got to mess about with spacers

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
Have mulleted. Is a rocketship. Holy crap this bike is fast and for being so stable, it corners ridiculously, just falls in and rails.

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
Wondered yesterday if keeping the 29 and going to a 180mm front shaft would produce similar results but keep it a fraction longer and let you still rotate the tyres.

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
Wondered yesterday if keeping the 29 and going to a 180mm front shaft would produce similar results but keep it a fraction longer and let you still rotate the tyres.

It will not. And you will lose the turning performance from the smaller rear wheel. The front on the bike is high enough as it is, so when adding even 10mm to AC length it will be off. Keep it lower And I am using the rear wheel in the lowest position on mullet too.

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
It will not. And you will lose the turning performance from the smaller rear wheel. The front on the bike is high enough as it is, so when adding even 10mm to AC length it will be off. Keep it lower And I am using the rear wheel in the lowest position on mullet too.

I’ve got the mullet but still long chain stay. I’m 197cm so want the wheelbase and stability. I’m pretty good at turning anyways and terrible jumping so stability makes me feel better.
Will probably still test 29 rear and 180mm front anyways... only thing I’m fighting right now is the motor cut off is pretty rough and on flat/fast stuff I think the small rear kinda hangs a little, could roll faster. Amazing in steeps abs turns but just flatter stuff that’s rough.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I’ve just recently changed to mullet also and left in the 29 mode to lower bb, wow such a difference to handling!! Really surprised me, absolutely love this bike !!!

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
Thinking of trying a 27.5 rear wheel on my Sam 2 what would be a good wheel to buy so I can just put the disc and cassette from the 29er straight on it

If you want to try a mullet without breaking the bank I've got an American Classic Smoking Gun rear wheel, which is straight plug-and-play into the 6.8, for sale at a very reasonable £50 + postage/delivery.

rq5Xpi.jpg

xL2OQ8.jpg

qhWpNa.jpg

1RsqNU.jpg

v9Mj3o.jpg

akZCrg.jpg

I bought it 2nd hand to try out mullet before going full Hope. It's in good nick, few scrapes on the rim and light notching on the freehub but it's straight and true and works perfectly and they are awesome wheels.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles